Wiki Posts
Search

"Dear American Express ..."

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2007, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
"Dear American Express ..."

"My 8-month-old Platinum card's black embossing has rubbed off from fully 1/2 of the letters and numbers (exposing the unsightly white plastic underneath) due to multiple swipes per day. As I understand you issue a card in Titanium metal (which I presume wouldn't have this problem) I hereby request one, please. Thanks!"
Old Sep 8, 2007, 4:56 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Dear Mr Crudup

A review of your relationship with American Express shows that you have too few card accounts. The Platinum Card is not designed to be used for routine purchases. The card will retain its pristine appearance if presented only for admission to airport lounges and when shopping at Neiman Marcus or Saks Fifth Avenue.

We suggest you apply for additional cards for retail purchases. The Nest is a suitable companion to your Platinum Card because you can earn 10,000 bonus Membership Rewards points when spending $15,000 in a calendar year. Plan now for 2008.

Warmest regards

Kenneth
Old Sep 8, 2007, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Dear Mr. Chenault:

As a matter of fact, I have four AmEx products: an In:LA, a Gold (I have two more months left on the first-year-no-annual-fee, you see), a Blue, and the aforementioned Plat. Thing is, the In:LA only nets me "LA Points", and only then if I eat in certain places, the Gold has been superceded by the Plat, and I use the Blue for maaaybe $50/mo of ExpressPay purchases- 'cause everything else goes on the Plat, even at Jamba Juice and Chick-Fil-A (oh, and so do multi-thousand-dollar hotel stays and equipment purchases).

I realize the Plat is supposed to carry an air of exclusivity which means I shouldn't just whip it out any ol' where, but the thing is, I live in Southern California- 3 miles from a guy who makes $20M a movie, where crackerbox 1600sq. ft. homes cost $1M, and where folks' kids have Plat cards and everybody's just blase and really don't give a isht.

... so, uh, about that Titanium deal? (It really is about the numbers wearing off; double-dog-dare-pinky-swear!)
Old Sep 13, 2007, 5:08 pm

Programs: Amex Plat
8 months? wow i've had mine a whole 3 weeks now and its starting to wear heh i use it religiously as i've used my blue card since i was in highschool, amex denied me once, then i reapplied got a blue in highschool graduated college and now i have a plat they are really nice except once when they killed my credit to like $100, which was odd since my estimated monthly spending is 4k :-\ hehe
oh well i like it but yeah i can see the problem your having and i'm going to have that problem soon
let me know how it pans out getting that new card
Old Sep 13, 2007, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kash04
let me know how it pans out getting that new card
Heh. Based on the current invitation levels being reported here, it appears Ti metal is going for about $150,000 p.a. more than my current annual spending- so unless the concern I'm with goes public sooner than we're expecting (or I find a huge bag of cash!) I'm not holding my breath on that happening anytime too soon.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 5:19 pm

Programs: Amex Plat
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Heh. Based on the current invitation levels being reported here, it appears Ti metal is going for about $150,000 p.a. more than my current annual spending- so unless the concern I'm with goes public sooner than we're expecting (or I find a huge bag of cash!) I'm not holding my breath on that happening anytime too soon.
at that rate wouldnt they invite you to join the centurion club?
Old Sep 13, 2007, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kash04
at that rate wouldnt they invite you to join the centurion club?
Uh, yeah- exactly.

(I'm sure you know I wasn't really serious in my OP, but I'm sure someone has probably tried this tactic!)
Old Sep 13, 2007, 6:49 pm

Programs: Centurion AMEX, Citi Chairman
You think that AMEX Plat still has exclusivity cache? Ie: are people impressed?
Old Sep 13, 2007, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

If you were asking me, Dr. D, as I'd eluded to in my post, I suppose it depends on where you are- which is why I'd said nobody here in SoCal (and I'd assume NYC and a host of other cities) really cares (and yeah, I've seen 16-year-old-ish kids with 'em). When I'd gone back home to visit family in Northwest IN last month, it got me a second look maybe once or twice.

(Hey if the "numbers wearing off" gambit won't do it, do y'all think maybe "need it as ice-scraper when visiting family in Chicagoland this winter" might score me any better? )
Old Sep 13, 2007, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA : GOLD
Do more internet shopping ... less swiping
Old Sep 14, 2007, 5:19 pm

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
I use my Plat. card to buy a pack of gum at 7-11..Amex must be insulted!..lol..actually,I think Not..they earn a transaction fee for Every transaction.@:-)
Old Sep 22, 2007, 8:34 am

Maybe so, but the Platinum just doesn't seem to impress the kid at McDonald's like it used to . . .
Old Sep 23, 2007, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by Counsellor
Maybe so, but the Platinum just doesn't seem to impress the kid at McDonald's like it used to . . .
Old Sep 23, 2007, 5:12 am

I used a marker and made mine a transparent blackish. Now people know I'm the most ballinest balla of all.
Actually I'm still waiting on a good promo to roll around before I get one. Gold is just so yesterday.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 6:50 am
Original Poster

OK, this is crazy- now the lamination is coming off the bottom-right corner of my card! Titanium Me, AmEx!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.