Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX moves to tiers for Membership Rewards

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2007, 9:11 am

Programs: AA Plat, BA, DL, Frontier, NWA, SWA, UA, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, Choice Priv, BW, Diners
Originally Posted by Paolo01
I really wish that AMEX would start cooperating to any degree with United. I know that the problem is that Case has infused United with LOTS of money, but couldn't there be ANY sort of symbiotic relationship?
Be careful what you wish for: Would you be happy if the relationship was that you could transfer to UA, but only at half the rate as to the other airlines they support (ie, 2000 MR points for only 1000 UA miles)?

I mention that because the precedent exists: That's exactly what happens over at Startwood AMEX (via the Starwood program, but the Starwood program no doubt had to devalue its UA transfers because of the Starwood AMEX).

Anyway, note that Chase required Diners Club (Citi) and UA to sever their transfer relationships (which were two-way, by the way) once Diners went MC, so I do think it has lots to do with Chase, even if not only with Chase at the AMEX side.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 10:56 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Stefan Daystrom
.. lots to do with Chase, even if not only with Chase at the AMEX side.
Agreed, Chase appears to be the obstacle today, but unlike at Continental (who also uses Chase for co-branded card), United has no history with American Express, no apparent marketing relationship of any consequence. I think this makes it improbable that they would press the issue with Chase because they literally don't know what they are missing, good or bad.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 9:15 pm

Something that really strikes me as odd regarding which card falls in which MR category...on the new membershiprewards website:

http://www.membershiprewards.com/cat...ity.aspx?rfs=1

The Plat Business AmEx charge card is in MR Express, but the Plat AmEx charge card is MR First. If this is the case, as a Plat Business AmEx charge card holder, it is really going to irritate me that I have to go get the AmEx plat business CREDIT card just to regain the benefit of being able to transfer MR points to airline programs!
Old Jun 28, 2007, 8:08 am

Programs: Tap - Victoria Gold, AMEX Centurion
Originally Posted by HookemHorns
Something that really strikes me as odd regarding which card falls in which MR category...on the new membershiprewards website:

http://www.membershiprewards.com/cat...ity.aspx?rfs=1

The Plat Business AmEx charge card is in MR Express, but the Plat AmEx charge card is MR First. If this is the case, as a Plat Business AmEx charge card holder, it is really going to irritate me that I have to go get the AmEx plat business CREDIT card just to regain the benefit of being able to transfer MR points to airline programs!
This looks like a website error because if you click on the bus platinum credit card in the MR First cat it brings you to the bus plat charge card. Additionally if you click on the bus plat charge card in the MR Express category you get the bus plat credit card.

Just check your MR account when you log in I am sure you will see the MR First program.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by PlatHunter
This looks like a website error because if you click on the bus platinum credit card in the MR First cat it brings you to the bus plat charge card. Additionally if you click on the bus plat charge card in the MR Express category you get the bus plat credit card.

Just check your MR account when you log in I am sure you will see the MR First program.

You're right...I didn't dig deep enough - the graphics on the website are incorrect. The text descriptions are correct, and MR is showing First program for my Bus Plat.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 4:39 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum; Starwood; AAdvantage
Still not as good as SPG

Even with these changes, it still won't get me to switch from using my Starwood AMEX card. As long as I'm getting 1.25 points on virtually any airline for every dollar spent, versus MR's 1 to 1 on a select list of airlines, I won't be switching anytime soon. If MR wants me to start using my Platinum card more often, they need to offer double points or increase the value of the airline point transfer.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 8:20 am
mia

Originally Posted by gator96
If MR wants me to start using my Platinum card more often, they need to offer double points or increase the value of the airline point transfer.
In my opinion American Express management is delighted to have cardholders who pay $450 per year for a Platinum Card and use a different American Express product for purchases. The only way to demonstrate that Membership Rewards First is not good value for money is to cancel the card and move transactions to another card issuer.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 9:16 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Originally Posted by mia
Under the previous system, points earned with your Blue card were commingled with points earned with your Green card and all were redeemable under the terms of the full Membership Rewards program. I do not think this has changed, but have not seen any explicit confirmation. I will inquire.
Spent 30 minutes on the phone with Amex. Started trying to get them to reverse the $40 Memb Rewards fee from my blue card. Memb Rewards insisted it was justified as when I got the card it was linked to my existing Memb Rewards and that was a higher tier (Corp) so the $40 was the fee for the higher tier. Firstly I said there were no tiers when I got the blue card. The CSR told me "there always were tiers, they were just publicized" last week. Then I said i wasn't informed of any fee when I applied for the card so I wasn't interested and wanted to cancel the card. He said fine. Transfers me to "retention" who doesn't try to retain me at all. When she cancels I ask about reversing the charges - she says she can't see my account (I cannot believe the way Amex's left hand doesn't know what the right is doing). I get transferred to accounts department. Finally I got a decent CSR. Not only did he offer to delink the cards and I would thus not be up for the $40 fee (I wasn't interested in this) but he also gave me a $35 credit towards the $75 Memb Rewards fee for the corp card. ^

Well I applied for the blue card just to get a $50 coupon from a retailer I was purchasing from. Not a good Amex/MR experience.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 9:30 pm
mj1

I called AmEx to cancel my Plat card, since I don't get $450 of benefit from it. Still have Blue cards for my wife & child. I was specifically told the remaining Blue cards would no longer be eligible for transfering points to airlines.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 3:35 am
mia

Originally Posted by mj1
...specifically told the remaining Blue cards would no longer be eligible for transfering points to airlines.
Correct. Blue participates in Membership Rewards Express unless linked to a card that participates in the full program. Your card was linked, now it is not.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 10:19 am

Programs: AA PLT; CO Gold
A couple years ago, I started using an Amex Blue card as one of my primary credit cards, so that I could earn Continental miles for spending on it. I hadn't yet transferred those points to Continental, thinking there was no immediate need to do so.

Obviously to a great extent, I snoozed, and I lost, but has anyone had any luck in convincing Amex to allow a one-time transfer of credit card MR miles? If I sign up for a transfer-eligible Amex product (which I'm sure they'd love to see) will my current points convert?
Old Jul 4, 2007, 6:10 pm
mia

Originally Posted by primedude
If I sign up for a transfer-eligible Amex product (which I'm sure they'd love to see) will my current points convert?
If you hold a Green or Gold charge card you will be enrolled in full Membership Rewards, and any points earned with the Blue credit card will appear in that MR account. The sequence of events does not seem to matter, it's the cards your hold at time of redemption.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 12:22 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by mia
Correct. Blue participates in Membership Rewards Express unless linked to a card that participates in the full program. Your card was linked, now it is not.
So I have a Blue card already and am waiting on my new Gold card. Do I contact Amex to have these MR accounts linked after I receive the Gold card or will the link become automatic?
Old Jul 12, 2007, 2:58 pm
mia

Originally Posted by me4yankees
contact Amex to have these MR accounts linked after I receive the Gold card or will the link become automatic?
In my experience if you entered or mentioned your existing account number during the application process the accounts will be automatically linked. Also, when you receive your new card you can activate it by logging into your existing online account at http://americanexpress.com , and using the link which says Don't see all your Cards? Register another now .
Old Jul 12, 2007, 4:03 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by mia
In my experience if you entered or mentioned your existing account number during the application process the accounts will be automatically linked. Also, when you receive your new card you can activate it by logging into your existing online account at http://americanexpress.com , and using the link which says Don't see all your Cards? Register another now .
Thank you for your quick reply! I logged in later today and the cards are already linked, although I have not yet received the card!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.