Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2024, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
This thread discusses American Express PREMIUM Car Rental Protection. This is an extra cost service that is offered only to cardholders residing in the USA. This is not the same as the Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) that is a standard benefit of many American Express cards.

Premium Car Rental Protection website: https://feeservices.americanexpress....erage/home.do A chart comparing Premium to the standard CDW benefit is at the bottom of that page.

Premium Car Rental Protection offers Primary coverage. Primary means only that the insurer pays first when there is a covered claim. It does not imply that the coverage is superior. The standard CDW provided with USA issued American Express cards provides Secondary coverage if the cardholder has other collectible automobile insurance. If you do not have an automobile insurance policy, or if your policy does not cover rental cars in the area where you are traveling, the standard CDW Waiver becomes Primary.

Print Wikipost

AMEX (USA) Premium Car Rental Protection

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2015, 3:09 am

I'll be renting the car in California.

I don't think my US-issued Amex (Blue for Students) includes free rental car coverage. I don't see it under benefits when I log in and I can't see the card I have in card selection.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 7:14 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976
[... what do you plan to do about third-party liability insurance?
Don't overlook this aspect. The insurance that you buy from American Express covers damage to the rental car, but not to any other car, property or person.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by stupidhead
I'll be renting the car in California.

I don't think my US-issued Amex (Blue for Students) includes free rental car coverage. I don't see it under benefits when I log in and I can't see the card I have in card selection.
California requires renters to have third-party liability insurance, and rental companies in California are not required to extend any such coverage to their customers. So unless you rent using a rate code like AARP's or USAA's that includes some (usually minimal) liability coverage, you will either have to buy such coverage from the rental company, or obtain a non-owned-auto liability policy in advance from some insurer. (Mine is issued by The Travelers.)
Old Jan 2, 2016, 7:41 am

I'm going to book a 4.5 day rental with Avis via Costco Travel website. I've never booked a rental at Costco for, but it looks like they have the best price. Will I be able to buy the premium auto rental insurance with AMEX for this reservation?
Old Jan 2, 2016, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I'm going to book a 4.5 day rental with Avis via Costco Travel website. I've never booked a rental at Costco for, but it looks like they have the best price. Will I be able to buy the premium auto rental insurance with AMEX for this reservation?
Are you already enrolled in the Amex Premium Car Rental Protection Plan? If so, the booking channel you use to reserve your car should be irrelevant; as long as you use your Amex card to pay for the rental when you pick up the car, your card should automatically be charged the fee for the Amex insurance, and you should be covered.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 1:36 pm

We regularly book car rentals through Costco Travel and have never had a problem! As mentioned above, just make sure you already enrolled in the premium auto rental program and use your Amex card to pay for the rental!
Old Jan 8, 2016, 11:10 am

I was about to sign up my AMEX Plat for this plan for an upcoming trip, but it looks like I don't sign up a specific card. It asked me to log in and enroll. When I do this, do I activate all my AMEX cards? And I can use any of them to pay?
Old Jan 8, 2016, 11:15 am
mia

...it looks like I don't sign up a specific card....
Click here: https://www295.americanexpress.com/p...verage/home.do

Scroll down, down, down:

If you enroll a Card Account for which you are the basic Card Member, eligible Card Accounts will be automatically enrolled. This includes 1. Any other eligible Card Account for which you are the basic Card Member; 2. Eligible Card Accounts that you apply for in the future as the basic Card Member; and 3. Additional Cards issued under your enrolled Card Accounts. The only Card Accounts that are not automatically enrolled are Corporate Cards, any Card Account issued by a third-party bank partner of American Express, and any Additional Card issued under your eligible Card Accounts which is already enrolled in this product.

Separately, if you have an Additional Card under someone else’s basic Card Account, that Additional Card will not be automatically enrolled.

If you enroll an Additional Card on a Card Account for which you are not the basic Card Member only that Additional Card will be enrolled.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 11:23 am

Thanks.

It says I will get a welcome kit in 7-10 days. I want to book via Costco Travel. I can't remember if that requires payment up front. Someone already said that Costo Travel can be used for the Premium insurance. Are my cards eligible right now, or should I wait a few days?
Old Jan 27, 2016, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I just enrolled. I am doing back to back to back monthly rentals and the base LDW/CDW doesn't cover this. It will only cover one 30 day rental even if you switch car rental companies. The Premium Amex insurance will cover back to back monthlies as long as you close out one contract and open a new one (even if you keep the same vehicle).

From Amex's policy:
"Note: In no event shall coverage be provided when the Cardmember rents a Rental Auto beyond 30 consecutive days from the same Rental Company, regardless of whether the original agreement is extended, or a new written agreement is entered into, or a new vehicle is rented.

Additionally, no coverage will be provided when the Primary Renter rents a Rental Auto for more than 30 consecutive days out of a 45 day period within the same geographic market/location (75 mile radius).
"

I ended up choosing the $17.95 per rental option in CA over the $15.95. For $2 got a little more coverage (although likely not needed). The regret for $2 would be super high if it ever does come into play.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 8:07 pm

Does anyone know if you get better loss of use protection if you pay for the rental with an enrolled AMEX Platinum charge card versus a regular AMEX credit card like Starwood ? For example: If you file a claim and the rental company fails to provide the fleet utilization log so you are billed loss of use charges, is it easier to win the dispute if it goes through AMEX Platinum customer service ?
Old Jan 27, 2016, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I just enrolled. I am doing back to back to back monthly rentals and the base LDW/CDW doesn't cover this. It will only cover one 30 day rental even if you switch car rental companies. The Premium Amex insurance will cover back to back monthlies as long as you close out one contract and open a new one (even if you keep the same vehicle).

From Amex's policy:
"Note: In no event shall coverage be provided when the Cardmember rents a Rental Auto beyond 30 consecutive days from the same Rental Company, regardless of whether the original agreement is extended, or a new written agreement is entered into, or a new vehicle is rented.

Additionally, no coverage will be provided when the Primary Renter rents a Rental Auto for more than 30 consecutive days out of a 45 day period within the same geographic market/location (75 mile radius).
"

I ended up choosing the $17.95 per rental option in CA over the $15.95. For $2 got a little more coverage (although likely not needed). The regret for $2 would be super high if it ever does come into play.
Um, don't you have any non-Amex cards that provide free LDW?
Old Feb 15, 2016, 5:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Free rentals -- what's the play?

I've been up and down this thread, including posts 76-82, and I still can't figure out what to do with an upcoming "free" rental with National. There are a few excise fees and such that ensure that the rental is taking my Amex Plat card, at least on booking.

But no one seems to be sure whether this triggers coverage.

So what are the alternatives here? Disable coverage and buy directly from National? Disable coverage and use other primary card coverage for the pennies and hope that works (Chase Ritz-Carlton, in my case)?
Old Feb 15, 2016, 5:53 am
mia

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
So what are the alternatives here?
Do you have an automobile insurance policy? Do you know what it would cost to add rental car coverage to that policy?
Old Feb 15, 2016, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
I've been up and down this thread, including posts 76-82, and I still can't figure out what to do with an upcoming "free" rental with National. There are a few excise fees and such that ensure that the rental is taking my Amex Plat card, at least on booking.

But no one seems to be sure whether this triggers coverage.

So what are the alternatives here? Disable coverage and buy directly from National? Disable coverage and use other primary card coverage for the pennies and hope that works (Chase Ritz-Carlton, in my case)?
Have you spoken with Amex about this? I would think that any charge from a rental car company to your enrolled Amex card would automatically trigger the Premium Car Rental charge -- and the corresponding coverage. But only Amex can tell you for sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.