Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When a card is charged?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2006, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

When a card is charged?

Does anyone have any knowledge of Amex's policy regarding when a card is charged? I thought it was against Amex's T&C's with a merchant for the merchant to charge the card before a shippment is made but, I can't find any reference on their site or by searching here.

My particular issue is a merchant has charged my card for a large amount but I found out today that It will not ship for 5 weeks.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 11:52 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold née Platinum; AA Plat.
Originally Posted by sdix
Does anyone have any knowledge of Amex's policy regarding when a card is charged? I thought it was against Amex's T&C's with a merchant for the merchant to charge the card before a shippment is made but, I can't find any reference on their site or by searching here.

My particular issue is a merchant has charged my card for a large amount but I found out today that It will not ship for 5 weeks.
I'm pretty sure I've been charged as soon as I've ordered an item. I think the only thing I haven't been charged for up front is accomodations.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 9:29 am

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
This isn't an Amex rule - it's part of the US Fair Credit Act. I haven't read it lately - I believe they can charge before shipping, but if the shipping is going to be delayed they have to contact the consumre and give a refund option.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 10:29 am

Programs: Starwood Gold née Platinum; AA Plat.
That sounds kind of right. You get charged at purchase, but if the goods won't be delivered per the original agreement, you can get out of the contract. Kind of like a perfect tender rule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.