Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Concierge Question - Sold Out Shows?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2006, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Amex Concierge Question - Sold Out Shows?

I don't have my card yet, so I can't call the concierge desk about this, but I know they're supposed to be able to get you into sold out shows.

What I want to know is if any of you have used them for this. Do they just go to ticket scalpers and charge you for the same thing I can get on stubhub? Or do they look for actual regular price seats?
Old Apr 7, 2006, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
They've never been able to get me into a sold out show, at least at face value. They do a bang-up job of calling ticket brokers, however. In other words, you can do the same thing on your own.

Mike
Old Apr 7, 2006, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by mikeef
They've never been able to get me into a sold out show, at least at face value. They do a bang-up job of calling ticket brokers, however. In other words, you can do the same thing on your own.

Mike

Amex is really good at locating ticket brokers just in case you have trouble finding the yellow pages.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 11:00 am

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Originally Posted by mikeef

Mike
Yes - but if things go wrong, they'll fix it. I (fortunately) used the concierge for a sold out show. The broker failed to deliver the tickets. The concierge located replacement tickets (which were better) and supplied those at no additional cost. The price was in-line with brokers at the time.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 12:22 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, InterContinental Royal Ambassador
I was already in Detroit for the Superbowl this year when 2 additional friends decided to fly in last-minute. Concierge did a great job in finding me 2 extra seats. Tickets were sent overnight to my hotel. They were great seats on the 40 yard line and were a very fair price compared with Stubhub.

I think the secret to the concierge service is to try out a few different reps until you find one who will go the extra mile. The first 2 I worked with did not impress me. My newest guy is really good and goes the extra mile every time. Hasn't let me down yet.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 2:08 pm

Programs: Amex plat, Hyatt, Hertz, Concierge Association-Colorado
I do not work for American Express.
A good concierge deals with ticket brokers that they know. The brokers have employees, pay rent, they stand by their tickets and are around next week if we need them. I don't know if that's the case with Stubhub.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 4:48 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Those who know Broadway also know an organization known as Broadway Cares/Equity Fights Aids. There are times of the year that they make a pitch for money at the end of shows and it is a charity that is very strongly supported by actors.

What many do not know is that they also have access to fabulous tickets that they sell for twice face value as a fund raiser. We got third row on the aisle for Jersey Boys during Christmas week. Now you may be able to do this through a broker, but here the excess dollars are going to a wonderful charity. The excess is certainly tax-deductible, although I'm sure that many people deduct the whole thing!

So far I've used them twice - Jersey Boys and Hairspray. I would much rather check with them first and see what they can do before calling AMEX of a hotel conceirge.

Good luck.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, RCC, PreChk , Hertz 5* Gold, HH Silver, SPG Gold thx to Amex Plat
Last Feb, I wanted 2 orch tickets (Sat matinee) for The Odd Couple in NY. I was already tracking seat availability/prices at an online ticket broker, and called AXP Plat concierge to get better seats/prices.

The concierge service quoted mid-orchestra tickets at around $400/tkt (higher closer to stage). However, I was able to get second row seats for $300/tkt directly from the ticket broker. So, it pays to still check around.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 10:55 am
Original Member

So New York has rescinded their order prohibiting AmEx from dealing in event tickets?

QL
Old Apr 11, 2006, 4:51 pm

Yes, just got 4 concert tix through their conceirge, which used some broker.

I think VISA Signature also has a program like this (for dining reservations too).
Old Apr 11, 2006, 5:44 pm

I got row 2, center for Hair Spray through Amex at a savings of about $30 per ticket over the best broker offer I could find.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.