Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Plat Amex - Not Worth Club Room Benefit Anymore

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2006, 9:37 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Originally Posted by tol
What's the catch in that offer? I don't have an AMEX plat but was thinking of getting one for that very reason.

I should add I hate Continental. Mostly I fly Oneworld or Star alliance.

Thanx.

if you don't have amex plat, then don't get one especially if you do not like flying CO, DL, NW. You can only access their clubs if you flying one of those airlines...better get a Priority Pass card which let you access 450 clubs in the entire world...

Also, Priority pass is free with the "Chairman Card" from Citibank....I have had it for approx 6 months now, and don't even care about what airline I fly since I usually have access to a lounge in most of the airports i fly to.
Cost of the priority pass unlimited use is 395/yr -- cost of chairman card is 400/yr with free priority pass - unlimited and HH Gold.

not a bad deal.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 5:50 am

Programs: CO-Plat, DL Plat, AA Gold, US Air Silver, Hertz Gold, Marriott, SPG Gold, Avis,
Priority Pass

Just to clarify-I have an AMEX Plat and go use CO, NW, and Delta clubs often. Can I use the priority pass at these clubs as well?

-Zak
Old Mar 27, 2006, 1:16 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
November's Press release

"Members of the airlines' airport lounge programs -- Continental's Presidents Club, Delta's Crown Room Club and Northwest's WorldClubs -- will be able to enter any of the three airlines' global facilities when flying any airline."

Originally Posted by zrs70
A bit more clarification.... No matter who you are flying (of NW/CO/DL, or of any airline?) Can I use my CO Pres Club card to get into the DL Crown Room if I am flying Southwest?
Old Mar 31, 2006, 12:27 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
AmEx platinum card holders are not members of the lounge clubs for DL, CO or NW. As far as I am aware, if you use AmEx platinum to enter a longe, you still need a boarding pass for the airline whose lounge you plan to use. So if you are flying DL, you can not gain entrance to a NW lounge with an AmEx platinum card.

Others have mentioned purchasing a fully refundable ticket to obtain a boarding pass from the airline whose lounge you wish to use (if you are flying on one of the other two airlines), then refunding the ticket. This keeps to the letter of the law.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by mia
... will be able to enter any of the three airlines' global facilities when flying any airline."
Don't forget that in many airports you have to be able to get throught security to the proper gate area in order to even get to the lounge. If you're flying (to use the example above) WN and the lounge you want to enter is in a different terminal you are likely out of luck. Some airports will let you through, most will not.
Old Apr 30, 2006, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Though I may not have made it clear in the original post, the point is that to use the AMEX PLAT benefit, you have to be flying on the SAME airline on the day you want to get in.

Said another way, you have to be flying NW to enter the NW club, etc, etc,
I am going to be flying EWR-MSP on CO soon and was pondering this question--does this policy apply even when the airline you are flying on does NOT have a club but another one does. In EWR we are obviously fine, but if you go to the PC website they say that the "PC" at MSP are the two World Clubs. Those are beautiful World Clubs (use them whenever I fly NW), so it would be a shame not to be able to use them and I think would be the last straw towards us switching to WorldClub (since my husband is a silver on NW).
Old Apr 30, 2006, 10:32 am
g50

Programs: DL DM 2MM, AA LTP, Hyatt Globalist, FB Plat
Originally Posted by kersie
I am going to be flying EWR-MSP on CO soon and was pondering this question--does this policy apply even when the airline you are flying on does NOT have a club but another one does. In EWR we are obviously fine, but if you go to the PC website they say that the "PC" at MSP are the two World Clubs. Those are beautiful World Clubs (use them whenever I fly NW), so it would be a shame not to be able to use them and I think would be the last straw towards us switching to WorldClub (since my husband is a silver on NW).
I would print that just in case. They will let you in.
Old Apr 30, 2006, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by g50
I would print that just in case. They will let you in.
Thanks. Out of curiosity, is this official practice or just something they do?
Old Apr 30, 2006, 2:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kersie

If you are flying on CO metal and using the AMEX PLT card, you can not enter a NW WC. Period. End of story. It does not matter that there is no PC at MSP. The only "exception" to this rule is the jointly-operated NW/CO club at ORD.

If the only benefit that you use is the club access, and you fly a mix of the three carriers in question (CO/NW/DL) then you probably are better off using a purchased membership from one of the three or a priority pass. If you use the other benefits of the PLT card, and don't mind the limitation of the "same metal as club" rule, then keep it.

S.
Old Apr 30, 2006, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have been turned away from the NW Worldclub when flying CO out of MSP. I no longer fly CO from MSP...
Old May 1, 2006, 5:48 pm

What a bummer -- made even worse by the fact that our flight just got switched to a regional jet (which is what caused me to ponder whether I'd be able to get a drink beforehand to make it easier to get through.) We probably will switch to a WC membership, but we just got the AmEx cards, so the fee has already been paid for the next year!
Old Jun 2, 2006, 12:28 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Delta Platinum, American Platinum, Air Canada 25K
I did the same thing last month.

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Have been using the Plat Amex for a few years. I take advantage of access to Northwest or Delta club rooms on a regular basis. Sometimes a pain as I was flying the wrong airline on a given day, but still worth it, along with the cruise $300 benefit.

But times have changed. DL, CO, NW now allow a paid club room member from any of the three to use any club room, no matter who you are flying.

So, I can buy a membership over there and drop the Plat Amex. Only other benefit that I might use has also erroded recently. The $300 for some cruise lines is starting to have restrictions, especially if you use some of the beter travel agencies with Virtuoso affiliation. They often have extra benefits like nice shore event, party, etc. Lately you can take their benefit, or the $300 but not both.

And, of course the 2 for 1 Biz class benefit is a joke for most people.

I know some folks are upset over Centurian and want to slip down to Plat, but it does not make sense to even do the Plat.
Old Jun 2, 2006, 1:56 am

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
One exception to this (well, the opposite, really) is in DFW where you can use the CO P-Club with an AMEX Plat card when flying NWA. The P-Club staff explained that all NWA flights out of DFW are CO codeshares, so their official policy is that AMEX Plat cards can be used to enter the club when flying on NW out of DFW. I don't know if any other lounges have similar circumstances / policies.

-Merrick

Originally Posted by sbm12
If you are flying on CO metal and using the AMEX PLT card, you can not enter a NW WC. Period. End of story. It does not matter that there is no PC at MSP. The only "exception" to this rule is the jointly-operated NW/CO club at ORD.

If the only benefit that you use is the club access, and you fly a mix of the three carriers in question (CO/NW/DL) then you probably are better off using a purchased membership from one of the three or a priority pass. If you use the other benefits of the PLT card, and don't mind the limitation of the "same metal as club" rule, then keep it.

S.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.