Community
Wiki Posts
Search

one thing I like about MR....Cheap magazines

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2006, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

one thing I like about MR....Cheap magazines

I just ordered a years subscription to Time for 1200 points. They have entertainment weekly, Rolling Stone, Wall Street journal, Parenting and several other magazines on there too. Great prices.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 2:17 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
This works out to about $0.02 per point. 56 issues of Time is worth no more than $24.95 and one would earn at least 25 Membership Rewards points on the purchase. Better than redeeming for gift cards, but still not a way I would use them.

dennis

Last edited by mia; Mar 10, 2006 at 2:20 pm Reason: Repaired link to Time subscription offer
Old Mar 11, 2006, 12:30 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, Delta Platinum, US Platimum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
What would you do to get the most of MR points?
I have many points and need your advices.

Originally Posted by mia
This works out to about $0.02 per point. 56 issues of Time is worth no more than $24.95 and one would earn at least 25 Membership Rewards points on the purchase. Better than redeeming for gift cards, but still not a way I would use them.

dennis
Old Mar 11, 2006, 4:09 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
In general, long haul (transoceanic) premium class award tickets provide the highest return, but you need to make the calculation based on a fare you would otherwise pay, not based on a six figure list price, and you need to be interested in making such flights.

We convert Membership Rewards points 1:1 to Virgin Atlantic Flying Club miles and redeem 100,000 each for transatlantic Upper Class (business class) tickets. These tickets (restricted, "Z" class) typically cost $3,500. Taking into account the miles and points which are earned on a paid ticket, but not on an award ticket, I estimate the value of the redemption at $0.027 per point.

Other transatlantic carriers, such as Continental and Delta, which do not offer flat bed seating often have lower fares (c. $2,500), and at that price the magazines might be slightly better value, assuming one could read that many.

dennis

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.