Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Card 20th Anniversary Gift

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2004, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Platinum Card 20th Anniversary Gift

The Platinum card was introduced to Canada in 1984, 20 years ago. It was at first as exclusive as the BLACK Centurian card is today, and membership was extended to AMEX's best customers in Canada among their Gold cardholders. I was "invited" to become a Charter Member and have stayed with this version of the card for two decades.

Today in the mail, I received a small, rather heavy box from AMEX. Inside was another, smaller platinum coloured box with "XX" printed on the top. Wrapped in tissue paper was a "platinum" DANSK desk clock/paperweight, along with a note from the president of AMEX Canada thanking me for staying with them over the years, and being one of their Charter Platinum Members [they removed the "Charter Member" line from the cards many years ago].

Nice little unexpected gift [albeit I have paid them over $6K in fees over those years!]...

Has this been sent to long time members in other countries? [I think Canada was the second country to introduce the Platinum Card after the USA, so a similar offering may still be in the future of some of you elsewhere on the planet.]
Old Dec 6, 2004, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold etc etc
Great that Amex is stepping up and acknowledging their longtime customers!

I've been looking at pros and cons regarding the Plat card for quite some time now. And reading through the myriad of posts regarding this card I must say that 70% are negative. Thus I have to ask, what made you stay with them (and pay the annual dues) for all this time?
Old Dec 6, 2004, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Erling
Great that Amex is stepping up and acknowledging their longtime customers!

I've been looking at pros and cons regarding the Plat card for quite some time now. And reading through the myriad of posts regarding this card I must say that 70% are negative. Thus I have to ask, what made you stay with them (and pay the annual dues) for all this time?
I got Plat just 2 weeks ago, my first AMEX. I am very happy with it and I think some people are just to picky/expect to much.

It does have it's pitfalls, but overall it is one of the best out there and worth the fee.
Old Dec 6, 2004, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I believe members in the UK will have to wait until 2011 for their clock cum paperweight...
Old Dec 6, 2004, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I've kept the card all that time as it has been reasonably beneficial, giving a good package of benefits for a realistic price. Having read the thread about benefits in various countries, I must say I am astounded by the cost in some of them. I think the first year it was introduced, the fee was $199. It is now $399 in Canada.

The primary benefit has been its tie-ins with airlines up here, first Canadian Airlines. We got their mid-tier status [Presidents Gold] which was ONEWORLD Sapphire, and included lounge access when flying ONEWORLD carriers. We also got an any fare companion ticket once a year which more than paid for the cost of membership. And there were MR points, with the 50% accelerator.

When AC took over CP, Amex scrambled to make up for the lost benefits, but it has not been quite as good in recent years. However, one does get SPG Gold status, and PRESIDENTS Gold/Premier with FAIRMONT. A benefit of that program is two US$50 food vouchers good at any Fairmont property, even if you're not staying there.

AMEX has now realigned with AC and is offering an AEROPLAN Plat version of the card that provides STARGold lounge benefits [which is the equivilent of RCC membership that goes for US$300 or so]. So add the FAIRMONT and AC packages and the cash value in C$s off-sets the annual fee. We also have lounge access when flying NW, CO and DL as well as the general 2nd Business/First ticket free program.

So the annual fee has pretty much recouped itself for me, and I have had most problems resolved fairly quickly. Never had to use Concierge or some of those other services, but I tend to be low maintenance...
Old Dec 6, 2004, 7:07 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, UA Premier Exec, CX Gold, Diamond GP, Hilton Gold, RC Gold
Great News

Hi,

That's great news since I sometimes flame AMEX for their service. I'd have to say the chances of them pulling thru has been around 50%, but the fact they do recognize their valuable customers is just great news.

enjoy your paperweight.

-ktp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.