Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Supplementary Card Exposure Limit

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2004, 3:25 am
Original Poster

Supplementary Card Exposure Limit

Sorry to keep harping on about supplementary cards, but I was just speaking to a Platinum CSR who told me that there was no way they could set limits on the exposure of supplementary cards. i.e. all supplementary cards have exactly the same spending power as I do as the main card holder. Is this everyone else's experience?
Old Sep 10, 2004, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Flyer26
...the same spending power
I was under the impression that spending power was account wide and not card specific. That is, if you spending power is $10,000 per month, then it remains that way no matter how many additional/supplementary cards you have on the account.
Old Sep 10, 2004, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
That is the case with AmEx cards. With Visa/MC a lot of banks will give supplementary cards a portion of the limit rather than full access.
Old Sep 10, 2004, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Sorry, I think I was a little unclear. I also realise that the spending power could be 'account wide' throughout all the supplementary cards under my master account. However, what I wanted to do was to limit or cap one of these supplementary cards to a level way below my (or even a portion of my exposure). My exposure is around £16K ($27K), but I would like one of these supplementary cards to have a spend limit of around £1500. However, after speaking to a CSR at Amex, I was told that no such limits could be applied and that my entire exposure must be afforded to all supplementary cards. Is this also your understanding?
Old Sep 10, 2004, 12:31 pm

It's my understanding as well. Probably the best way to go about achieving your objective is to open up an entirely separate account and limit the credit available on that one. Unfortunately, that would result in an entirely additional set of fees.
Old Sep 20, 2004, 3:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
How does one find their exposure limit? I have just recently been accepted for the Platinum Card (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=342163) and was thinking about getting an extra card for a significant other and as much as I trust them, I was hoping to be able to somewhat control what they can spend. Being only 21 and still a student, I can't really afford for them to go on a spending spree, but I would like for them to buys things and put it on the card when they wanted (within reason) and think of it as a gift from me ^ But it’s more for some of the benefits of bring a supplementary card holder if we go travelling.

I'm pretty useless at all this "law speak" but I understand that I am liable for clearly the balance every month, but if they buy something on the card that is outrages, or I disagree with, do I have any protection whatsoever?

Cheers,

Chris
Old Sep 20, 2004, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by csdavidson
I'm pretty useless at all this "law speak" but I understand that I am liable for clearly the balance every month, but if they buy something on the card that is outrages, or I disagree with, do I have any protection whatsoever?
No. When you sign the supplementary card agreement, you accept joint and several liability for charges on that card. From the American Express point of view, you're as liable for charges made on the supplementary card as if you'd made them yourself.

Last edited by NickW; Sep 20, 2004 at 3:22 pm Reason: adjust phrasing
Old Sep 20, 2004, 3:20 pm

Regardless of what they buy as long as it's not fraud you are responsible. If there is one shred of doubt in your mind, than don't give out an AU card.

I'm not aware of Amex setting limits on AU cards.

Best regards,
Mirage
Old Sep 20, 2004, 3:39 pm

Programs: US3, WN, UA, AA, CO
Originally Posted by csdavidson
... and was thinking about getting an extra card for a significant other and as much as I trust them, I was hoping to be able to somewhat control what they can spend. Being only 21 and still a student, I can't really afford for them to go on a spending spree, but I would like for them to buys things and put it on the card when they wanted (within reason) and think of it as a gift from me.
Why not open a free Blue account attached to your Platinum card? Supplemental cards are free as well. The card has a set spending limit and earns MR points in your master account.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 8:11 am

If you have the Platinum or any other charge card, you can set monthly spending limits on your supplementary cards.

Call customer service and tell them you only want to allow $XXX per month to be charged to your supplementary card(s).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.