Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Platinum - got called for a $1800 balance!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2004, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Amex Platinum - got called for a $1800 balance!

I have my new Amex Platinum for 3 weeks now, and charged $1800 on it so far. I received a call today from them asking me to pay them the full balance now so that I can continue using the card. I asked why, and they told me since they don't have my spending history, they'd need to do this.

I think this is absurd since:
1) My balance is not due for another week or two
2) $1800 is not a large amount by any standard
3) I have excellent credit, and usually charge $3000-$5000/month to my other credit cards
4) I'm willing to bet my money that if I have a new Visa or Master instead, they would not have called me for $1800 balance
5) The fact that it's Amex Platinum (and all the hypes they promised) with $395 annual fee but can't allow charges of $1800 really ticked me off

Anyone else has similar experience?
Old Aug 26, 2004, 5:31 pm
RCC

Originally Posted by AlexC
I have my new Amex Platinum for 3 weeks now, and charged $1800 on it so far. I received a call today from them asking me to pay them the full balance now so that I can continue using the card. I asked why, and they told me since they don't have my spending history, they'd need to do this.

I think this is absurd since:
1) My balance is not due for another week or two
2) $1800 is not a large amount by any standard
3) I have excellent credit, and usually charge $3000-$5000/month to my other credit cards
4) I'm willing to bet my money that if I have a new Visa or Master instead, they would not have called me for $1800 balance
5) The fact that it's Amex Platinum (and all the hypes they promised) with $395 annual fee but can't allow charges of $1800 really ticked me off

Anyone else has similar experience?
I too would be very PO'ed...but look at it this way....today there is soooo much credit card fraud...some times they just do weird things to see your reaction...

my dad's amex # (just # not the card) was stolen, by a woman with the same last name, same first inital as my dad....my dad NEVER used this card....was his amex 2% plat. rebate card....it had been 5 months since he last used it...got a call from amex, sir do u know where ur amex card is.....we dont think it is in your back pocket....he was like...huh....some one telling u where u wear ur wallet....

back to you now....if this happens once more can amex, they dont deserve your business....but could just be a security measure...

just my thoughts
Old Aug 26, 2004, 5:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Get used to it

Things like this are exactly why I dumped my AMEX Platinum card last year after many years and hundreds-of-thousands of dollars in charges. I used it very consistently and was never even close to late on a payment. No change in my financial status, spending habbits -- nothing. One day they sent me a letter with a credit application and said it was necessary to complete it and send it in to update their files. I was irritated and ignored it. Then I got another letter that effectively said that if I chose to ignore the second letter I would find a hold being put on my account. I called them and closed the account. Naturally, I got transferred to the retention people who were ready to bend over backwards to keep me at that point, but given the rising costs of the card and the dramatic reduction in service levels, it became silly to pay the price -- all for the pleasure of putting up with the nasty AMEX Platinum attitude.

Interestingly, I have since received a basic Starwood AMEX, which is a much better value for the price. I have a $40K credit limit, which I never draw on, as I pay it off in full every month. I've never so much as heard from them. Plus, the Starpoints I receive are a much more powerful frequent traveler currency than the pathetic Membership Rewards points I used to get.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Angry Still mad...

I have never been a big fan of Amex since this is the card that's not widely accepted, and I have to carry a Visa or Master as backup. So, I have an Amex Optima, and then an Amex Blue with them that I rarely used. As I need to travel quite a bit from now on, a friend strongly recommended Amex Platinum. He convinced me all the perks and their customer service will make the $395 fee well worth, which is why I called them and applied for the card. I guess I don't have to say much about my first experience (since activation) with the "customer service" hours earlier.

Now that I'm cooled off a bit... I think what really ticked me off earlier was not entirely due to the fact that they asked me to pay the balance in full over the phone. It has very much to do with the way she phrased each of her responses to my questions:
Me: I really don't expect to get called on a balance of $1800
CSR: Like I said, we don't have your spending history
Me: But don't you think $1800 is a bit too...
{She cut me off}
CSR: And we don't have you financial info on file either
{She followed by asking me my occupation, company, and salary}
Me: What if I don't pay now?
CSR: We'd have to put the account on hold
:
:
Me: How can I find out how much to spend from now on?
CSR: We'll look at your spending pattern
{as usual, her one line answer}

Case-in-point:
1) If you have doubt in my credit and ability to pay, then don't accept my application in the first place.
2) If you performed the credit check, satisfied with my credit history, and offered me the card (and decided to take my $395), as a financial institution, you're entiltled to the risk of non-payment of up to... say $10,000 (not $1800)? Even though my credit history suggests that there's 99.9% probability that I will pay.
3) It's not my problem that you don't have my financial info on file, is it?
4) What happen to the quality customer service that we all heard so much about? The CSR from Capital One could have done better?
Old Aug 26, 2004, 8:23 pm

Programs: Co Plat - Marriott Plat
What is the credit line on the Blue card you said you had and never use? I would think they would match that limit.

I had the same thing happen with a Green card I had years ago. I had put a bunch of business expenses on the card and they called and told me they were cutting off my card until the balance was paid. They only did it becuase the card was new.

I called amex a few months ago to get a card on my account for wife. The process was like applying for a new account.. then they said "You will get a decision in a few days and if approved a card in a week or two". I told them all I wanted was an additional card on a active account and I didn't understand why it had any approval process at all. I don't undestand why they do this...

I also know what how you feel when they start asking all sorts of emplyment questions- I wanted to upgrade my Gold card for Plat and they did the same thing to me. You would think if you had a account in good standing with them that is all they would need.

Grin and bear it for a month or two. After they see you pay your bill on time, you should never hear from them again. There is no other card out there that gives you the perks of a plat amex....
Old Aug 27, 2004, 9:38 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
I think you will continue to be frustrated with the AMEX Plat card. There is no way the service levels they offer are worth the price they charge. They used to be, in the pre-Centurian days, but they've shifted all their high end focus there.

If it were me, I'd cancel the card and tell them exactly why. They will refund your $395 on a pro-rated basis, so you'll get most of it back. Then, go apply for a $30-per year SPG AMEX. The points will be much more valuable. You'll know exactly what your credit line is so you don't have to deal with this "we approve your charges based upon your spending pattern (and god only knows what else) crap.

Airline club lounge access, if you fly those particular airlines a lot, is the only reason I can think of that justifies this card any more. That, and possibly the 2-for-1 international airline ticket program, but you've got to be prepared to buy at least one full fare business or first class ticket for that to be of value. If you are, then justifying the price of the Plat card is no issue. Good luck buying it, though, given that they won't approve $1800 -- let alone the $8,000 it would cost you for a business class 2-for-1 trip to London!
Old Aug 29, 2004, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Then, go apply for a $30-per year SPG AMEX. The points will be much more valuable. You'll know exactly what your credit line is so you don't have to deal with this "we approve your charges based upon your spending pattern (and god only knows what else) crap.
Agreed.

Additionally, there are typically bonus Starpoint offers available when you sign up for the SPG Amex. Check out www.freefrequentflyermiles.com

Good luck,
- RightD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.