Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are the chances of a plat amex?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2004, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Question What are the chances of a plat amex?

Just wondering if there is any way I can get myself a Platinum Charge Card (in UK). I've had the Plat Credit Card for a year (next month), paid every single bill as soon as I got it, in full. Next month I will be getting my 2% cash back.

I'm a 21 year old student (no loan), I do not make the required £30,000 for the Plat Charge Card (but then again when I applied for the Credit Card I didn't make the required £20,000 a year -I got it "pre approved application through the post. I could probably make it up to about £22,000 a year, but wouldn’t be entirely true nor entirely false. I am nearly completely funded (whilst at university) by my Dad (with Jobs during the holidays). My Dad refuses to add me as Plat account holders under his Centurion account –but I don’t want that anyway. He has been with AMEX since 1975 or thereabouts.

Having lost my HHonors Gold card this year and I will no doubt lose my Gold Elite Card with KLM, I could do with the Plat Charge card for these benefits alone.

Any chance that if I'm nice to them on the phone they'll give me one? I am more than happy to pay the £275 a year for the card and I don't mind having an exposure limit of £1000 a month (which is far less then my current Credit Limit). I’m even willing to allow them to keep my 2% cash back (which is quite a lot) and pay the annual fee if they give me one.

Obviously I can not fill the form in online and I am not really willing to lie on any application form. Any hints as to who I can speak to? I know there are rules, but as a youngster I feel these are made to be broken. As I understand it, even my dad has a limit on his card, so they do have them. Would AMEX see me as a risk in any way? If I really needed to, I could just say my dad gives me 30,000 a year, but would they want prove of this? On my Credit Card application I scored out employer and just put "money comes from daddy" (as a joke) but they still gave me the card.

Thanks,

Chris
Old Aug 1, 2004, 12:41 pm
NFH
Suspended

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meliá gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
I remember on my eighteenth birthday applying for every credit card and storecard that my parents had, and I was quickly accepted for all of them. I found out this was because I had the same surname and address as long standing existing card holders. It's quite likely the same principle would apply with you and Amex. You could try being 100% truthful on the application and you might be accepted, despite failing to meet one of the criteria.
Old Aug 1, 2004, 4:21 pm

This applies to me-

My income is enough to apply for the Amex Platinum card but I first started out with the Amex Green Charge Card and the Amex Blue Card. I just upgraded from the Amex Green to Amex Platinum.

Here in the US, the Amex Platinum income requirement is waved if you have another Amex card for at least 6 months.

I'm not sure if this is the same with UK applicants.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 5:33 am

Programs: I've got three passports, A couple of visas, Don't even know my real name.
Originally Posted by csdavidson
Any chance that if I'm nice to them on the phone they'll give me one? I am more than happy to pay the £275 a year for the card and I don't mind having an exposure limit of £1000 a month (which is far less then my current Credit Limit). I’m even willing to allow them to keep my 2% cash back (which is quite a lot) and pay the annual fee if they give me one.
I am confused as to why you want to give up the free platinum card with 2% cashback so you can pay £275 for the same card with no cash back and no Credit Card protection under UK consumer credit law.

Amex will pretty much give a Platinum card to anyone who asks for one and is willing to pay the fee. You age and credit rating may count against you though - these are scored by computer, not by real people. You should get a copy of your credit report and see what it says, check out Equifax and Experian on the web, it only costs £2 and you can find out what they think of you.

If you really want to apply for the card, then include the 30 grand that your dad gives you as part of your income. Technically it is an income, the fact that you don't have to work for it is not relevant. I think there is a check box for "independant means" where it asks where your money comes from (employment, investments etc).
Old Aug 2, 2004, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Ex Amex Card
I am confused as to why you want to give up the free platinum card with 2% cashback so you can pay £275 for the same card (...)
The platinum colored (no fee) credit card and "The Platinum Card" (charge card) are distinct products. Only the charge card entitles to the Platinum benefits (insurances, lounge access, etc.)

Last edited by ahrz; Aug 2, 2004 at 9:17 am
Old Aug 2, 2004, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ex Amex Card
If you really want to apply for the card, then include the 30 grand that your dad gives you as part of your income. Technically it is an income, the fact that you don't have to work for it is not relevant. I think there is a check box for "independant means" where it asks where your money comes from (employment, investments etc).
I do not make £30,000 a year, nor does my dad give me that (I wish ). If I said my dad gave me that, would they want me to prove it? However, it is lying, which is against my character.

As ahrz pointed out, the credit card does not give the same benefits. Ideally I want the priority pass and the HHonours Gold card as I am about to lose the one I have (earned) and I am about to lose my KLM GE at the end of this year...

Has anyone got a number that I can call (from abroad) so that I can ask Amex directly. The worst they can say is no...I can't seem to find one on the UK website, unless it's the Platinum Card number or would I be best speaking to my current customer service number?

Chris
Old Aug 2, 2004, 9:51 am
NFH
Suspended

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meliá gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
Has anyone got a number that I can call (from abroad) so that I can ask Amex directly. The worst they can say is no...I can't seem to find one on the UK website, unless it's the Platinum Card number or would I be best speaking to my current customer service number?
Within the UK, you phone 0845 608 0845 for Platinum. On the back of the card, it says to phone +44 1293 82 09 25 from abroad.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I do not make £30,000 a year, nor does my dad give me that (I wish ). If I said my dad gave me that, would they want me to prove it?
I'm also fairly young, 20 and got myself the BA Amex card a year ago. Soon after getting it, within a a couple of weeks I had a phone call inviting me to the Platinum charge card, even though my income was stated as being only £12k (a lie, I'm also a student sponging off parents while at Uni and working during vacations). I was very tempted by the offer however thought that the BA Amex benefits made a lot more sense to me than the Platinum CC as usually my travel now is in J so the Priority Pass was not a great benefit.

btw, as far as I am aware they don't check your income rigorously they just call you asking to confirm it. Where I worked last summer every gave the branch manager of the bank as their employers contact and he was never called by credit card companies
Old Aug 3, 2004, 5:12 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
As ahrz pointed out, the credit card does not give the same benefits. Ideally I want the priority pass and the HHonours Gold card as I am about to lose the one I have (earned) and I am about to lose my KLM GE at the end of this year...
Bear in mind that the HH Gold status with Platinum is for one year only. It is not an ongoing comp.
Old Aug 3, 2004, 2:19 pm
KVU

Programs: Ex AmEx Cent, Ex BA/AmEx Premium Plus, Mastercard World Signia, HH Gold VIP, HPG Diamond, SPG Gold
I have been sent a few recomend a friend or family member to platinum membership forms. If you have difficulty in applying or want a semi fast track route to applying then private message me and I will see what I can do to help.

Best

KVU
Old Aug 3, 2004, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by KVU
I have been sent a few recomend a friend or family member to platinum membership forms. If you have difficulty in applying or want a semi fast track route to applying then private message me and I will see what I can do to help
Is this the 10,000 MR point offer?
Old Aug 3, 2004, 3:26 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by fbgdavidson
Is this the 10,000 MR point offer?
I think you only get this if the recommended person has never have an Amex card of any sort, i.e., a brand new person to Amex.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.