Search

"Can I see your ID, please?"

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2004, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Talking

Originally Posted by davistev
I was at Dominos Pizza in Lithia Springs, Georgia. I walked in and tried to order a pizza to go. The cashier wanted my phone number. I said I just wanted a pizza and that I do nlot need it delivered. She still insisted on my phone number. I refused and left the store with no pizza. I went to Pizza Hut down the road and ordered a pizza there - same thing - they wanted my phone number. Why on earth do I need to give out my phone number to order a pizza? At least Pizza Hut let me put in their number and gave me the pizza.

The above scenario represents a violation of my privacy and right to eat pizza in a free country. When will this madness stop?
Why didn't you give them your phone number? I know what your phone number is. It's the same as mine: 555-1212

Of course, you can always tell then you don't have a phone too. It's not agains the law to not have one as far as I know.
Old Jul 3, 2004, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KrisFlyer
Originally Posted by Kremmen
No, it doesn't. It tells you that the merchant is too stupid to do things the correct way and/or wants to lull you into a false sense of security by doing something utterly pointless. It's very much like the TSA's relentless search for small pointy objects: It makes those who can't be bothered thinking it through happy, while not contributing to solving any problem.
I totally agree. If the credit card companies wanted to actually resolve the problem of credit card fraud, we would use the PIN system. The chances of someone seeing you enter your PIN AND obtaining your credit card are negligible in my opinion. If everyone looked like their ID, and if every store clerk were trained in facial recognition, perhaps that would be a viable security method. As it is, I see the ID system as nothing more than a small patch for a huge problem.
Old Jul 5, 2004, 9:22 am

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Diamond
My family's been involved in a small retail business for quite a long time, and I've worked for them on and off over the last twenty years or so. Our policy on accepting credit cards has changed over time, and now we generally ask for ID from customers:
-when the card isn't signed, or
-when we are suspicious that the card may be stolen
-when the purchase amount is large and it's not a regular customer
Although the second is quite subjective, it's based on twenty years of being the victim of fraudulent activity (and I say victim because most of the time the credit card company will charge us back). The credit card companies actually send out flyers for merchants on how to recognize suspicious behavior. What we've found out is that if we ask for ID when we are suspicious of the card being stolen but not yet reported, the person will panic - most of the time the person will try to cancel the transaction and leave, sometimes even leaving the card behind. Other people simply tell us they don't have ID, and offer to show us some other information they have with their name or other information on it. Although this additional information doesn't 'prove' anything, it does tend to scare many opportunistic, but not professional, credit card thieves.
And it seems to work. Unfortunately, when dealing with a professional credit card thief, or just someone who keeps their calm and has practiced the signature on the back of the card many times (so much so that they may be able to match it better than the card holder), we still tend to fall victim to fraud. But we don't get a whole lot of them.
Old Jul 5, 2004, 3:31 pm

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kingsroadgal
I totally agree. If the credit card companies wanted to actually resolve the problem of credit card fraud, we would use the PIN system. The chances of someone seeing you enter your PIN AND obtaining your credit card are negligible in my opinion. If everyone looked like their ID, and if every store clerk were trained in facial recognition, perhaps that would be a viable security method. As it is, I see the ID system as nothing more than a small patch for a huge problem.

As there are card readers which just copy the card, they would copy the pin when entered to. I think photo cards which are checked are a far better way.
Old Jul 5, 2004, 7:15 pm

I really don't have much of a problem when stores ask for ID when I purchase something and charge it on a credit card but last week I returned a item I had purchased with a VISA at Restoration Hardware in Tysons Corner, Va. I handed the clerk the item, the sales receipt and the VISA card. After she scanne the item and ran my card through the scanner she then asked me for additional ID. I asked her why she needed a second ID on a return when she had the item, the receipt and the credit card and she answered "store policy is to obtain a second ID when a return is made" I asked her why she needed a second ID for a return when I had not had to show one when I purchased the item but of course she didn't know. I flat out refused to give her a second ID and she processed the return without it. THat will end my future shopping at that store. THe problem is that we all act like sheep. If more customers complained about store policies that are for the convenience of the store instead of for the customers these stupid policies would be discontinued but instead too many people just roll over and play dead. Stores have forgotten the simple basics of customer service. While we are on the subject of pet peeves why is it that when you purchase multiple items that are identical the store cannot scan the item once and then enter a quantity in the computer. Why must they scan each item individually when the item number is identical. I have asked about this a few times and been told it is for the stores "inventory control system". SO for the sake of the stores inventory control I, the customer, am to be inconveniced and made to stand in line longer than needs be. Stores that do this sort of thing do not continue to get my business.
Old Jul 5, 2004, 8:41 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by KathyP
Why must they scan each item individually when the item number is identical. I have asked about this a few times and been told it is for the stores "inventory control system".
That's sometimes because the checkout operator is incompetent, poorly trained, can't count, or can't be bothered. I've been to places where that happens one time, yet another time a different person will just scan the item once and then tap some keys on their keyboard to multiply it by the number of items.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 2:48 am

Programs: LX/M&M, UA, AA, AF/KL, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Kremmen
Actually, no, it's a terrible one. Last time I checked into this, the US credit card databases had no access to non-US card address details.
Are you sure that this is true for Amex? The monthly bill for my Switzerland-issued Amex card is mailed from the US. I also experienced more than once that US mail-order companies would accept Amex ONLY for international deliveries. I always figured that they have some way to verify my Amex billing address that they don't have with other cards.

So, checking the zip code means one of two outcomes for users of non-US cards:
1) We can't use our cards at all or
2) We can use our cards without entering a zip, and therefore our cards have no protection against massive fraudulent use if stolen
I used my non-US Amex card several times at California gas stations where I had to enter the ZIP code. I just entered my Swiss 4-digit ZIP code with a leading zero... worked like a charm! I remember that I was thinking about what those poor guys from Canada or the UK would do...

andy
Old Jul 28, 2004, 6:18 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by andyZRH
Are you sure that this is true for Amex? The monthly bill for my Switzerland-issued Amex card is mailed from the US. I also experienced more than once that US mail-order companies would accept Amex ONLY for international deliveries. I always figured that they have some way to verify my Amex billing address that they don't have with other cards.
Yes, they do, but it depends on the company being willing and able to do it.

The databases are not connected. At least, they were not when I enquired a few years ago. It can, however, be checked manually. If the company phones up Amex for authorisation, they can be put through to the international division who can look up the appropriate country database and check address details. If the company does an electronic authorisation, no, it can't access overseas addresses.

I found this out because I'd been wanting to fly one-way BZN-DEN a few years ago, an expensive air ticket for the distance. The prices had been going up and down (most of them code-shares on the one airline). Suddenly, Frontier dropped their price to about US$100 lower than anyone else. It was a US holiday weekend, so no physical travel agents were open and Frontier's web site couldn't book code-shares, so I phoned Frontier direct. They took all my information and then said they couldn't accept any of my credit cards. I contacted Visa, who were totally useless. I contacted Amex, who informed me of the situation as I described above. I rang Frontier back, and they simply told me that their authorisation system was through their computer and they couldn't/wouldn't ring the credit card company to check the address details!

What was more annoying was that I'd been in contact with Frontier previously by email, finding out that there was no way at all to book the flight through anyone in Australia and had been told I could book through their phone sales in the USA. The person who told me that knew where I was from!

I ended up paying a US friend, who booked the Frontier flight on her credit card for me.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 8:04 am

Programs: BD / BA / AF
Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
Why didn't you give them your phone number? I know what your phone number is. It's the same as mine: 555-1212
I always give 202-456-1212. I tell them to ask for George.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 9:46 am

Programs: AA- EXP 3mm, Marriott Titanium(Lifetime), *wood Plat, Hertz Pres. Circle, *bucks Gold, Joan Ranger
I tell people the phone's unlisted. If they insist on an address it's 1313 Mockingbirdlane. Some people get it & laugh others type away.

I'm an ol retail person myself. It just plain basics on finding those who are using a stolen card. Random sizes, not trying on items, in a hurry, etc.
The "can I see ID thing" is a joke.

Recently, I had someone ask for ID at Starbucks @ ORD (my AMEX is pretty worn on the back) I said no problem & showed the cashier my DL. I also asked them "don't you think I'd go for something a little more expensive if this card were stolen?" no comment from the cashier.
Unfortunately, this has become protocall for ending card fraud.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 10:00 am

Programs: SK EBD, AX Cent, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Club-A Plat, Avis' PC, CC Gold,Hertz PC, CX Diamond,BA Bronz
Another disturbing situation.

In Norway at shops and retail stores it is quite common having to show your ID if shopping for more than €100, and hardly questioned by the general public. Our Visa cards come with a picture and ID details on the back and are accepted along the lines like any official ID like passports or driver's licences.

BUT: I have had two rather unpleasant events the last two weeks, one when buying my new mobile phone (€ 250), and another when paying a restaurant bill of the same magnitude. In both instances the reader came back: "Please contact Amex for manual authorization.
The check out clerk at the electronics shop who was definetely NOT proficient in any language except Norwegian was passed through the different systems on the phone, finally speaking with the UK based Centurion desk who then insisted on speaking with me in person to verify my ID with the usual 2-3 secret questions.
Meanwhile a rather large line formed behind me, rather embarrasing!

At the restaurant the same process happened, Amex had to verify my ID, etc. Fortunately the waiter was bilingual, and laughed it off, especially when I told him that the Black Card was for the "Black sheep in Amex' portfolio" and that they thought my tip had been too large... (BTW: I have always been in perfect standing regarding payments and charges, and last month's charges had up until then been below par for the month).

I did voice my opinion to Centurion help desk regarding these incidents, not necessarily regarding the need for security, but rather the inconvenience etc..
Old Jul 28, 2004, 10:46 am

People, it's simple:

1) The use of the card is subject to the cardmember agreement

2) ALL Credit card companies require the card to be signed to be considered valid.

3) Merchants DO NOT have to accept card that are not signed.

4) Credit card companies have SPECIFIC guidelines for people who write SEE ID on their card... Those guidelines being, a) sign the card and show ID, or b) deny the charge.

If you don't sign the card, don't b***h and moan when a shop owner does not honor it as they are also bound to merchant agreements stating they cannot accept cards that are not signed.

Case closed...

Last edited by DelrayChris; Jul 28, 2004 at 10:48 am
Old Jul 29, 2004, 7:08 pm

Programs: aa lifetime platinum
i just love it when I buy movie tix with a credit card and they ask to see id.
it's a certain kind of crook that will purchase something and then hang around the scene of the 'crime" for 2 hours or so watching a movie!!!
Old Jul 30, 2004, 10:12 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
I guess we will have to wait until after someone has used your card and run up a rather large bill to see if you still feel the same way. We were, and the resulting hassle was not worth it.

My card now has in large black letters "ASK FOR Photo ID" in the signature blank. I also have and keep on file a digital photo of the back of the card showing this request. If a merchant takes this card and does not request to see a photo ID, they are now resposible for the charges. You would surprised how few ask for it even with this on the back. If the card is ever used by some one else again, Amex will get a copy of the photo with a little note explaining all charges are now a dispute between them and the merchant who took it.

I was once upon a time this cocky about it too...........
Interesting discussion... Of my three credit cards two MC and one Amex, One MC is signed, one has "ask for ID" and the Amex is not signed.
I find that the asking for ID is extremely random. I am rarely (10%) asked for ID on the card that I have signed, sometimes asked for ID (50%) on the card that has "ask for ID" and very rarely (<10%) asked for ID on the card that is not signed.

About being "cocky", I disagree that is the reason why many people do not like to be asked for ID (or for other information, zip code/phone number/etc).
It is definately not the reason why I find it annoying. I had several of my credit card numbers stolen (back when I had about 10 of them).
The person who stole them ran up about $9,000 worth of charges. While it was annoying and left me with a feeling of being violated. I worry much less about identity theft and or unauthorized charges on my credit cards then I do with having companies gathering whatever information about me and my spending patterns and then selling that information or putting it in some database to be used by whatever government agency.

Probably all in, I spent about an hour total with the different credit companies cancelling cards (7), disputing charges, etc.
I had figured out who had stolen my CC #s and was able to submit notorized "papers" (can't recall what they were called exactly) stating that I knew who stole the #s, gave what info I had on said person, etc. I don't know what happened - if anything happened - with the person who racked up the charges.
Old Jul 30, 2004, 10:43 am

Programs: LX/M&M, UA, AA, AF/KL, SPG Gold
not signed at all?

Originally Posted by infinityplusone
Interesting discussion... Of my three credit cards two MC and one Amex, One MC is signed, one has "ask for ID" and the Amex is not signed.
What exactly is the purpose of not signing the card at all? I would expect a merchant to refuse a card without signature. That's *if* they check the signature, of course...

andy

Last edited by andyZRH; Jul 30, 2004 at 11:25 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.