Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Avoiding 2nd-year Gold AF but keeping MR bonus points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avoiding 2nd-year Gold AF but keeping MR bonus points

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2023, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Question Avoiding 2nd-year Gold AF but keeping MR bonus points

I signed up for a 90K Gold card offer in January but do not want to pay the $250 AF for a second year. However, the terms indicate that they may claw back the points if the card isn't retained for more than 12 months. Are there reliable approaches to this? What occurs so far is to either transfer the points to an airline program, which would not necc. stop them from trying to claw back the equivalent value, or downgrading the card early into the second year and hoping for a refund on the fees. Are these viable?
Old Nov 20, 2023, 11:11 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The renewal fee will be due after the anniversary of the account opening. However, if you close the account, and have no other card which earns Membership Rewards, the points will expire.
oddhack likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2023, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
The renewal fee will be due after the anniversary of the account opening. However, if you close the account, and have no other card which earns Membership Rewards, the points will expire.
Understood. But hopefully downgrading to a fee-free card that's still in the MR system will retain those points.
Old Nov 20, 2023, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
There is no fee free downgrade. There are fee free cards you can APPLY for but they are credit cards not charge cards like the AMEX Gold.
oddhack likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2023, 4:00 am
DTS

Programs: AS 75k, A3 Gold, AC 25k, IHG Plat
Sign up for an EveryDay card. Fee free, MR earning. Will keep your points active.
SPN Lifer, oddhack and OrangeRange like this.
Old Nov 21, 2023, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DTS
Sign up for an EveryDay card. Fee free, MR earning. Will keep your points active.
Thanks, that's helpful! Doing that and cancelling the Gold card before the 2nd year AF is due sounds like it would work.
Old Nov 21, 2023, 5:21 am

You can stay open a checking account that gives MR without using a 5/24 spot
mia and oddhack like this.
Old Nov 21, 2023, 11:17 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by Schnit
You can stay open a checking account that gives MR without using a 5/24 spot
Just curious. Can one open a joint checking account that earns MR? If so, does it effectively allow pooling of MR? Or is that specifically not allowed in the T&C?

LAX
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 4:49 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Could also apply for and open a no annual fee Blue Business Plus card, which earns 2x MR on everything (max $50K) and will keep MR alive as long as the card account is open and will not affect Chase 5/24.

Gold credit card account can be closed up to 30 days after the annual fee posts without adverse consequences. If the annual fee is paid prior to those 30 days, perhaps due to making payment prior to payment due date, the annual fee will be refunded if the account is closed within those 30 days.
SPN Lifer, oddhack and DCJoe1 like this.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by LAX
Just curious. Can one open a joint checking account that earns MR? If so, does it effectively allow pooling of MR? Or is that specifically not allowed in the T&C?

LAX
I do see they have joint accounts but I do not see anything addressing this question. My assumption is they thought about this and you need to assign a primary person
Old Nov 27, 2023, 11:08 am
mia

Originally Posted by Schnit
.... My assumption is they thought about this and you need to assign a primary person
Correct. https://www.americanexpress.com/cont...ount-terms.pdf

Amex Rewards Checking Accounts may be owned in either an individual or joint capacity.
Amex Rewards Checking Accounts may only be opened in an individual capacity, but the
individual who opens an Account (see “How do I open an Amex Rewards Checking Account?”)
may ask us to add a second named Account owner after opening an individual Account.
​​​​​​​.If an Account has more than one named owner, Account Transactions entered into by additional named
Account Owners will earn Membership Rewards® points but only the first named Account owner may redeem them.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 2:54 am
Original Poster

I ended up getting an EveryDay CC per DTS and that's solved my original problem. Thanks all!
Old Nov 28, 2023, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Could also apply for and open a no annual fee Blue Business Plus card, which earns 2x MR on everything (max $50K) and will keep MR alive as long as the card account is open and will not affect Chase 5/24.
My Amex business card (an Amazon co-brand) did show up on my credit report, so I'm not entirely confident it did not affect 5/24. No idea if that would be true of the card you refer to as well.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 4:15 am
mia

Originally Posted by oddhack
My Amex business card (an Amazon co-brand) did show up on my credit report,....
Does the account appear on your credit report, or only the hard inquiry when you applied for it?
DCJoe1 likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 8:30 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Could also apply for and open a no annual fee Blue Business Plus card, which earns 2x MR on everything (max $50K) and will keep MR alive as long as the card account is open and will not affect Chase 5/24…..
Originally Posted by oddhack
My Amex business card (an Amazon co-brand) did show up on my credit report, so I'm not entirely confident it did not affect 5/24. No idea if that would be true of the card you refer to as well.
There are many reports of BBP card accomplishing exactly what you wish to accomplish with no AF and without appearing on the individual’s credit report and without affecting 5/24.

There are very few, if any, reports of an AmEx biz card, including BBP, counting toward 5/24. Other than a hard inquiry, there are few, if any, reports of an AmEx biz card being listed on an individual’s credit report.

There are few reports regarding AmEx Amazon biz card, maybe it’s an exception.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.