Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Double Posting One Payment

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2023, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
AmEx Double Posting One Payment

First time ever (~45 years & ~270 CC accounts). The same one single payment (of several hundreds of dollars) posted TWICE (on the same date) to an AmEx CC resulting in a credit balance. The payment was a few days after the statement, should have resulted in a balance of zero, posted twice and resulted in a credit balance in the exact same amount as the payment.

Having charged additionally on the account in excess of that payment, the credit balance was gone in 2 days.

I thought long and hard about notifying AmEx, chose to call (with definite intention to limit call duration). While on 6 minute hold, started a Chat. As you can imagine, both the chat and the conversation were tedious and aggravating. Chat wrote they saw one payment for a different amount, then said they would refund the payment to me. Telephone agent also said she could only see 1 payment, she would start an investigation.

I said and wrote “I’m being honest and acting with integrity by notifying you of a significant mistake IN MY FAVOR.” Both of them gave me the usual erroneous doublespeak gibberish nonsense, I ended both communications (probably prematurely from their point of view) with “I’m done, I’ve told you of a mistake IN MY FAVOR, what you chose to do with that information is up to you.”

I have no doubt that this will end up being a case of “no good deed goes unpunished”. My only remaining question is how severe the punishment will be; shutdown, pop-up jail (without “Get Out of Jail Free” card*), MR clawback, frogs, lice, locusts, darkness**?

(I learned the honesty lesson in 6th grade. Spelling test, teacher added my score incorrectly to 94% (A), I pointed out to her the correct score was 84% (B), she said “since you were so honest I’m still going to give you an A”.)

(* “A Get Out of Jail Free card is an element of the board game Monopoly which has become a popular metaphor for something that will get one out of an undesired situation.”)

(** “The Plagues of Egypt, in the account of the book of Exodus, are ten disasters inflicted on Biblical Egypt by the God of Israel in order to convince the Pharaoh to emancipate the enslaved Israelites.”)
SPN Lifer and Diplomatico like this.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 1:22 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Deducted only once from bank account?
Old Oct 20, 2023, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by mia
Deducted only once from bank account?
Affirmative. It was ~1 week ago, I check my checking account almost daily and in view of this mistake I’ve checked it about 347 times (would you believe 2-3 times a day for 2-3 days?) in the past week.

Old Oct 20, 2023, 2:21 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I'm still stuck on "a 6 minute hold".....it has never been longer than 30 seconds for me.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by david55
I'm still stuck on "a 6 minute hold".....it has never been longer than 30 seconds for me.
AmEx customer service “never been longer than 30 seconds for me”, who do you know, what’s your secret?
Old Oct 21, 2023, 7:40 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
AmEx customer service “never been longer than 30 seconds for me”, who do you know, what’s your secret?
Centurion card holder, perhaps?

LAX
Old Oct 21, 2023, 7:41 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
I had the same thing happen on two different cards this week. Three payments total were double credited.

That lasted about five days. Today, the accounts reflected an "adjustment" to zero things out.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
... That lasted about five days. Today, the accounts reflected an "adjustment" ...
My "adjustment" posted 6 days after the double posting, doubt it was related to my call and chat .
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.