Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Need two cards: Delta for points AND another for balance transfer.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2023, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic

Hi card experts,

Need your help for 2 problems

1. Want a 2nd DL branded card to get approx 50k MQMs before year end. Can do this immediately.
2. Want high limit balance transfer card (later in the calendar year, I need to do a midsized house project (approx $30k), want to put in on the card so I can pay it off over the next 12-18 months.

I already have a DL Skymiles Platinum (credit limit of $35k). And a Chase Sapphire Preferred (credit limit of $47k). Charge 5-10k a month on the cards, pay in full each month. Credit score is 800, no other revolving debt. Concerned that the DL card could restrict my chances for the high balance card (which is actually more important). But I'm a noob w/r/t to the plastic game, so open to ideas.

Thanks
Old Aug 21, 2023, 12:28 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Not sure what you have in mind for #2 and if you're thinking it would be the same as #1, but Amex doesn't prioritize balance transfers / revolving balance holders as much as some other credit card issuers. I have cards from Amex, Chase, Citi, and Capital One, and the latter two send me balance transfer promos pretty regularly, Chase occasionally, but I don't think I've ever seen one from Amex. That said, Citi and Capital One also extend me smaller <$20K credit lines (though I haven't attempted to increase them so not sure how much more they might be willing to offer).

The Chase Freedom Flex is a solid card to have in general (it is marketed as earning cash back but it actually earns points that can be transferred to your Sapphire Preferred) and has a 0% for 15 months intro APR offer, including on new purchases, which may be appealing. I believe if you are approved for that card for a lower credit limit than you'd like, you could call Chase and have them transfer limit over from your Sapphire. So that may be a good plan.

As for whether getting an Amex now would jeopardize your ability to get that Chase card in a few months, hard to say, and depends on your general creditworthiness among other factors. This article is for the Sapphire, but the same sorts of rules in general (probably a bit laxer) would apply to give you a sense of whether you're likely to get approved for a Freedom: https://onemileatatime.com/guides/ch...d-eligibility/
Old Aug 21, 2023, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
bgriff I wasn't thinking they would be the same card. The mods towed it over here b/c there was a reference to an AMEX card (grr).

My credit score is 800 and my financial situation is comfortable...so as a one off, I think I'd get quick acceptance. However, the rolling rules about new cards is helpful....I'll have to start digging thru those 'hey ya wanna new card invites' that I continually toss out
Old Aug 21, 2023, 5:21 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Originally Posted by navi_jen
I wasn't thinking they would be the same card.
Thank you for the clarification. I have edited the thread Title. We can move the thread back to Credit Card Programs if the discussion here does not address both requirements.
navi_jen likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.