Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex to takeover Apple credit card from Goldman?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2023, 2:49 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Amex to takeover Apple credit card from Goldman?

I have both Cards and Bank accounts with both so I thought this interesting...

Goldman Is Looking for a Way Out of Its Partnership With Apple. American Express in talks to take over Goldman’s card deal, other ventures with tech giant

https://www.wsj.com/articles/goldman...apple-79849a91
happychic and bman1002 like this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 8:06 pm

The Apple card is proof that Apple devotees are sheep who would buy a 1971 Ford Pinto if it had an Apple logo on it.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 8:47 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

LOL not for everyone then. 3% cash back up front and interest free monthly payments for Apple products works for me. Anyway, that’s not the point of the article.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 9:25 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

It has been rumored that Apple has very favorable terms with its deal with GS and the card has not been profitable, and that Apple would have to approve the sale to a new issuer.

Also, the Apple Card is a Mastercard, so it seems likely that Amex would lose some cardmembers after a forced change to an Amex card.

Last edited by dayone; Jul 2, 2023 at 7:43 am Reason: Typo.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by m907
The Apple card is proof that Apple devotees are sheep who would buy a 1971 Ford Pinto if it had an Apple logo on it.
Its a free card and gives interest free loans...whats not to love?

Would AMEX simply take over the admin side or something? Re-issue cards?
dw likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 8:01 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
The GM card would also be part of DJ D-Sol getting out of consumer lending.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by lax01

Would AMEX simply take over the admin side or something? Re-issue cards?
It seems unlikely that they wouldn’t issue the cards - why would they let their customers use a MasterCard?
Old Jul 2, 2023, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
It seems unlikely that they wouldn’t issue the cards - why would they let their customers use a MasterCard?
Complexity and cost to cutover on a low margin product? I don't know...
Old Jul 2, 2023, 9:51 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by lax01
Complexity and cost to cutover on a low margin product? I don't know...
This happens periodically. Citi bought the Costco portfolio from American Express, and then American Express bought Hilton accounts from Citi. Several issuers have operated the General Motors card. Barclays took accounts from Bank of America when US Airways merged with America West.

If Goldman wants to exit the card business there would not be an option to convert the Apple card to another Goldman product, only to accept the American Express version or close.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 1:58 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Daimond
It would be nice if AMEX adds Centurion lounge access to the Apple Card. I'm sure Apple has deep enough pockets to pay whatever fee AMEX requests from apple.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA, QF, DL, A3, IHG
Originally Posted by crownedking
It would be nice if AMEX adds Centurion lounge access to the Apple Card. I'm sure Apple has deep enough pockets to pay whatever fee AMEX requests from apple.
This is a $0 AF product, which is not at all difficult to be approved for. Why on earth would Amex do this lol?
Old Jul 2, 2023, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by crownedking
Maybe if Apple is willing to pay $695 per card per year. But even then, I doubt Amex would want to add 7M members to the centurion lounge line.

Then again, $5B/year buys a lot of new lounges.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Last edited by doublemazaa; Jul 2, 2023 at 5:36 pm
Old Jul 2, 2023, 8:31 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I guess the main question is what bank is interested in a card product that

1) Offers zero percent financing on purchases that can be rather large (phones, computers, etc)
2) Offers 2%, virtually up front cash back on most purchases
3) Encourages users to pay down balances early to avoid interest through phone alerts / messages

I've been a user of the card since it was launched, it is a good product from a tech standpoint and an offering standpoint, especially at $0 fee. I hope the card persists in this form
dw and OrangeRange like this.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Reading this. Hard for me to believe Amex would take over the card in its current form. Or, potentially any form that Apple will accept.

While negotiations may be going on, I'm assuming it's only a done deal when the papers are all signed. I suspect Apple won't want to make too many changes, and Amex will be demanding some changes (because why would they want to take over a product that a bank is losing millions of $ on without them). Not convinced there is a deal to be made here that can work for both.
OrangeRange and notquiteaff like this.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 4:29 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Them be some ugly numbers so not exactly sure what Amex has to gain.

A report from January 13 revealed (Goldman Sachs’s) consumer credit division lost $1.2 billion across nine months in 2022, and the losses were primarily related to the Apple Card.

Goldman helped launch the Apple Card in 2019 and reportedly spent roughly $350 to acquire every new Apple Card customer.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/23...pple-card-deal
marksyr likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.