Wiki Posts
Search

Amex France terminated my account

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2023, 9:43 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Amex France terminated my account

Just received an email from the KYC team (I don’t know what KYC means) but they just terminated my account after 14 years of loyalty and spending 5 digits every year since 2009.
I called several times and they just told me that it’s their decision and per their T&C they don’t owe me any explanation.
There is a 2-month notice and have to return my cards by July 6th.
any idea if I could re-apply in the future or if I am permanently flagged or banned?
should I send a complain letter anyway to the Amex France ?

thanks
Old Jun 6, 2023, 10:25 am

KYC = Know your customer

https://www.swift.com/your-needs/fin...yc/meaning-kyc
flyertalker00143 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2023, 10:15 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by macaron95
(...) should I send a complain letter anyway to the Amex France ? thanks
Don't waste your time, their answer will frustrate you even more than you already are.

You can write to CS, or even the CEO via good old paper letter. Your letter will be sent to CS in a very derogatory manner and the answer will frustrate you once again.

You can appeal to the ombudsman who is an obvious buddy of theirs, so this will not help neither.

Amex France is a mix of incompetence and arrogance.

Their insurance product is good on paper only.

Read fr.trustpilot.com reviews and you will be relieved that they kicked you out.
Old Jun 6, 2023, 11:47 pm

OP, What is you occupation? How do you make your money? Where do you travel? What high value items do you purchase with your Amex?

Originally Posted by doublemazaa
Old Jun 9, 2023, 5:30 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by Centurion
OP, What is you occupation? How do you make your money? Where do you travel? What high value items do you purchase with your Amex?
You forgot to ask for his mother's maiden name, pet's name, date of birth, and children's names.
flyertalker00143 and SkyLich like this.
Old Jun 9, 2023, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by macaron95
Just received an email from the KYC team (I don’t know what KYC means) but they just terminated my account after 14 years of loyalty and spending 5 digits every year since 2009.
I called several times and they just told me that it’s their decision and per their T&C they don’t owe me any explanation.
There is a 2-month notice and have to return my cards by July 6th.
any idea if I could re-apply in the future or if I am permanently flagged or banned?
should I send a complain letter anyway to the Amex France ?

thanks
This does seem like a strange decision on their part.

If you're an American expat, some EU banking operations prefer to just get rid of them as customers, rather than deal with the bureaucracy of dealing with the filing requirements. I've had this happen to me, but not with Amex.
ZenFlyer and Mama like this.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 9:27 am
Suspended
Original Poster

no, just a French customer living in France with clean statements for more than 13 years. Never had issues with Amex. It seems that I am not the only in this situation. Another long-term member had his Platinum card cancelled a few months ago. No explanation given. Just like that.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 11:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by macaron35
no, just a French customer living in France with clean statements for more than 13 years. Never had issues with Amex. It seems that I am not the only in this situation. Another long-term member had his Platinum card cancelled a few months ago. No explanation given. Just like that.
Did you game the Amex system in any way?
Old Jun 19, 2023, 5:56 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Whether it’s you or not, has your name — in part or in entirety — possibly come up in a derogatory way in a reputation search or been confused with someone else’s with bad press?

Old Jun 20, 2023, 6:02 am

If on the low end of 5 digits maybe your spending is to low?
Old Jun 22, 2023, 6:20 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mama
Did you game the Amex system in any way?
what do you mean ?
Old Jun 22, 2023, 6:22 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by erik123
If on the low end of 5 digits maybe your spending is to low?
i spent more between 20 and 30k per year, waiving the annual fees every year. Even if my expenses decreased over the past 3 years, I was still above this threshold of 20k / year
Old Jun 24, 2023, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i spent more between 20 and 30k per year, waiving the annual fees every year. Even if my expenses decreased over the past 3 years, I was still above this threshold of 20k / year
How were you waiving the annual fees ever year? That's probably what they didn't like, because that's how they expect to earn their money, with the annual fees.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 7:09 am
DTS

Programs: AS 75k, A3 Gold, AC 25k, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sdsearch
How were you waiving the annual fees ever year? That's probably what they didn't like, because that's how they expect to earn their money, with the annual fees.
I don't know about France, but the German Amex Gold will waive (at least used to) the annual fee if you spend at least 10000€ per membership year.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 11:57 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I spent more than 20k euros every year.

and this year, Amex implemented automatic fee waiver. It was written on my May statement: annual fees were waived because my expenses exceeded the annual threshold to get it.

Anyway, i kept spending thee 5 digits every year for the last 14 years so they were making more money than these annual fees

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.