Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Just cancelled my Amex Platinum card and I feel so good!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2023, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

I just cancelled my Amex Platinum card and I feel so good! I will never need to worry about spending based on coupon book categories to "earn" back my annual fee or to get the most value out of the card again. I will once again spend whenever and however I want.
To be fair, I managed to get more value from the card than its annual fees in the past two years, however, it has just become too much a hassle for me. (I still keep other credit cards.)

Other people may find it more valuable than me based on life style but it is clearly not for me. On the other hand, I am sure there are also people who feel the same way as I do.
Old Jun 6, 2023, 12:41 am
DTS

Programs: AS 75k, A3 Gold, AC 25k, IHG Plat
Congrats! Just allow me one question: going forward, what card will you be using for air travel?
Old Jun 6, 2023, 6:39 am

Yeah I'm also on the fence about cancelling my card, since i got 2 young kids its a lot harder to just jump on a plane and fly out.
Old Jun 6, 2023, 8:42 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
I get it, however, I don't mind the hassle given the benefits from the card and all the points I keep accumulating. Plus I've ordered 2 employee cards for which are being used by employees at my day job, so I can/will probably just expense the AF this year - not to mention their spend should get me over the 75K for Lounge guest access.
Old Jun 6, 2023, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Good! One less person, and their guests/AUs in the Centurion Lounges!
Old Jun 6, 2023, 10:35 am

Same. I'm going to cancel mine soon, unless the retention offer is too good.
Old Jun 6, 2023, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by DTS
Congrats! Just allow me one question: going forward, what card will you be using for air travel?
I prefer the Chase Sapphire reserve for travel purchases (I have the AmEx Plat. also but like the chase card better). You get 3 points per $ charged and if you use it for travel on the chase portal it ends up being 4.5 cents/$ charged plus you get the travel protection insurance if your flight gets messed up.
Old Jun 6, 2023, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

I still keep my chase credit cards and will use them for travelling.
Old Jun 6, 2023, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
I am contemplating cancelling mine as I have intentionally limited spending on it to not accrue points that I may or may not use. Guess I need to check the renewal date on mine and then renew my GE/TSA precheck before I cancel. Or use my Chase card for that. Hmmm.
Old Jun 6, 2023, 7:07 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I enjoy the coupon chasing. To each his own.
Old Jun 6, 2023, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I prefer the Chase Sapphire reserve for travel purchases (I have the AmEx Plat. also but like the chase card better). You get 3 points per $ charged and if you use it for travel on the chase portal it ends up being 4.5 cents/$ charged plus you get the travel protection insurance if your flight gets messed up.

You get 5 points per $ charged with airlines on the plat card, and they’re worth about 1.3˘/point on Delta, so 6.5 cents/$ charged. And travel protection insurance is included as well.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 5:18 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ijgordon

You get 5 points per $ charged with airlines on the plat card, and they’re worth about 1.3˘/point on Delta, so 6.5 cents/$ charged. And travel protection insurance is included as well.
It all depends how you spend your money. Yea, if you spend tens of thousands per year on flights, including Delta, the Platinum is probably a solid option for you.

CSR also includes airfare (also with travel protections). Not to mention hotels/airbnb (without portal, bonus with portal), cruises, 10x(15x) Lyft, trains, campgrounds, car rentals (with primary insurance), travel agencies, parking garages, etc. They also have good transfer programs available to premium flights, Hyatt, etc. All with lower AF, also with a credit that requires zero thought if you use the card for absolutely any category above. With this in mind, there is a strong possibility that people exist where this math works over the Platinum.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 6:36 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I don't travel much anymore but I cancelled my Plat Amex only because I got so irritated twice a year trying to find something on the Saks site for $50 or less that I even marginally wanted. A perk that so turned me off, I was giddy when I realized I didn't have to engage in an hour of mindless scrolling anymore.
entropy, Mama, bigbuy and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 6:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by david55
I don't travel much anymore but I cancelled my Plat Amex only because I got so irritated twice a year trying to find something on the Saks site for $50 or less that I even marginally wanted. A perk that so turned me off, I was giddy when I realized I didn't have to engage in an hour of mindless scrolling anymore.
In other words, you are not Amex Plat's target audience.
david55 and SkyLich like this.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Mama
In other words, you are not Amex Plat's target audience.
Is Amex Plat’s target audience those who enjoy hours of mindless scrolling for a $50 Saks rebate ?
antonius66, 36902BRF, hhdl and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.