Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paying income tax doesn't qualify for welcome bonus?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2023, 8:45 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by DCJoe1
Most recent MR spending bonus (a week ago) posted 9 days after the purchase which pushed me "over the top". Definitely longer than usual Amex practice for MR bonuses- in my experience usually 2 or 3 days.

Interestingly, a bonus on a Delta card posted just 2 days after the "over the top" purchase was made.
I got the SUB 10 days after my tax payment was posted. Everyone was right - Amex is just posting MR a bit slow at the moment.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 5:22 pm

Paying income tax towards SUB still works?
Old Mar 9, 2024, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Yes, paying (or even overpaying) federal income tax is an excellent method of satisfying sign-up bonus (SUB) spend requirements.

Paying USA income, property or other taxes with a credit card

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Mar 9, 2024 at 7:22 pm
Old Mar 9, 2024, 7:39 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Originally Posted by mkl617
Paying income tax towards SUB still works?
I have moved your post into a thread discussing this specific question. Scroll back to review previous posts, and you will see mixed reports. Taxes should count, but if the automated system does not include them it takes some effort to persuade customer service to adjust even though there is nothing in the terms to exclude tax payments.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 12:54 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I've used income tax payments to meet the spend for SUBs many times. I've never had a problem.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 8:36 pm

For the Amex CHARGE cards (not credit cards) ie: Amex Plat Business, since there's no preset spending limit, has anyone had a problem with like a $15,000 charge for taxes? Is it best to contact Amex first to let them know about big charge coming? Or just try it and hope it doesn't get rejected?
Old Mar 11, 2024, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by hurnik
For the Amex CHARGE cards (not credit cards) ie: Amex Plat Business, since there's no preset spending limit, has anyone had a problem with like a $15,000 charge for taxes? Is it best to contact Amex first to let them know about big charge coming? Or just try it and hope it doesn't get rejected?
The amex website lets you check your spending power in advance.
SPN Lifer, hurnik and findark like this.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by hurnik
For the Amex CHARGE cards (not credit cards) ie: Amex Plat Business, … has anyone had a problem with like a $15,000 charge for taxes? Is it best to contact Amex first to let them know about big charge coming? Or just try it and hope it doesn't get rejected?
For Biz Plat I and several others have reported been there, done that several times over the past few years, often for more than $15k, rare (if any) mentions of pre-notification or problems.
SPN Lifer and hurnik like this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 9:51 am

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
Tax payments do count - some CSR's incorrectly think otherwise

I have always received the SUB after making tax payments. In our case, this was a first. P2 opened first biz plat a few months ago. Used it to pay for purchases. Then, P2 paid income tax, which sent the spend over the $15K. About 10 days after the tax payment posted, still no SUB. I called to inquire, and first agent says that system doesn't show $15K spend because tax payment doesn't count. When I asked how much it showed, she told me and I said that doesn't make sense (even if you exclude the tax payment, the number was too low). When I explained that the tax payment not only received 1.5x points but also the bonus points for the Synch offer (Spend $xxx in 3 months and get xx points), she said SUB is different. She went through and confirmed all the charges which confirmed $15K spend. She wasn't budging on the tax payment issue. I asked for a supervisor. He couldn't help either but said I needed to give 8-12 weeks and then call back (technically, the time frame is correct even though experience shows otherwise). Anyways, somewhere between 24-36 hours later, the SUB points posted. The length of time may have been a fluke, but regardless, the agent was mistaken (as I knew she was).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 8:55 am

Programs: Lotz
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
I made a $13k tax payment on my Amex Biz Platinum with PayUSATax.com as I needed another $11k to meet my SUB minimum spend. The charge went through and earned 1.5x points but was not counted towards the minimum spend. The support case keeps getting opened and closed via chat. They keep pointing to the following:
"Eligible purchases are purchases for goods and services minus returns and other credits. Eligible purchases to meet the Threshold Amount do NOT include fees or interest charges, purchases of traveler's checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, purchases of gift cards, person-to-person payments, or purchases of other cash equivalents."

Can you file a CFPB complaint for a business card? Is that the only option available for this? I wasn't sure if anyone else had found success with Amex support.
i once filed a small claims case on Chase (in 2008) over points. Their attorney agreed to my request when we got to the adjudication.

More important I 'm in semi-panic mode this morning because yesterday was my Gold Biz statement date and so I looked and only car insurance of the big items show earning points. All 2X. My property taxes do not, my pre-payments of electricity, gas and water do not, and it seems there are many other purchases not showing points ....yet. The major communality of those prepaid utiliies payments is they all use outside payment companies to process credit cards. I'm hoping this is just a slow process of crediting points and also that it will not affect the sub. So not saying the sky is falling.

***EDIT: After 2 more days past statement closing, all spending including property tax payment and utilities prepayment have been given points. So, don't panic if there's no points for the tax payment immediately at statement date.

Last edited by tassojunior; Mar 19, 2024 at 1:41 pm Reason: combine new subject
Old Mar 18, 2024, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
Originally Posted by tassojunior
i once filed a small claims case on Chase (in 2008) over points. Their attorney agreed to my request when we got to the adjudication.

More important I 'm in semi-panic mode this morning because yesterday was my Gold Biz statement date and so I looked and only car insurance of the big items show earning points. All 2X. My property taxes do not, my pre-payments of electricity, gas and water do not, and it seems there are many other purchases not showing points ....yet. The major communality of those prepaid utiliies payments is they all use outside payment companies to process credit cards. I'm hoping this is just a slow process of crediting points and also that it will not affect the sub. So not saying the sky is falling.
Give it a few days after statement close. I've had biz gold before and P2 recently opened one. None of the points show up until a few days after statement closing probably because the system has to calculate the top 2 categories for 4x (although why it won't show points for charges that wouldn't be eligible for 4x I'm not sure why). All I can tell you is this has been my experience in the past and this is what is happening now for P2. Hope this helps.
tassojunior likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.