Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paying income tax doesn't qualify for welcome bonus?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2022, 1:11 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by mia
Did the Supervisor say that the system had flagged the transaction as a Cash Equivalent, -or- did the Supervisor only offer that as their opinion? Part of the art of customer service is to invent plausible explanations when there is none.
She said it wouldn’t count as it is doesn’t count as eligible spending as it was Cash Equivalent - I assumed she meant it was flagged as she was referring to one specific transaction (not the other one and any of them could have kept me below min spend). But it could just have been her guess ….
Old Aug 3, 2022, 1:15 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
overpayment refunded

Originally Posted by mia
American Express can change their policies at any time, but I cannot think of a compelling reason they would discourage tax payments. The customer pays a fee to use the service (in the case of Federal income taxes), the risk of fraud seems to be low, the transactions are potentially large.
Overpay your taxes by $10k, or $100k on AmEx, get a refund next month in your checking account?
Maybe that's why refunds are taking 6-18 months now?
Old Aug 3, 2022, 1:40 pm

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
For what it's worth, I've paid income taxes using new AMEX business platinum card and received new account bonus within a few days. I can't explain delay in your bonus posting, but I hope you receive it soon.

Originally Posted by jchock1
I received a no lifetime Amex Plat Bus offer for 150k bonus points if I spent $15k in 3 months.

Spent $15k to pay income taxes online.

Normally bonus points have posted very shortly after meeting the minimum spend, but these points hadn't posted for a month, so I called.

The rep, after checking with "management" stated that paying taxes isn't an "eligibile purchase", so I won't be getting the 150k points. She insisted I wasn't purchasing any good or service, and thus it's not an eligible purchase.

This doesn't sound right.

HUACA?

Last edited by mia; Aug 3, 2022 at 1:56 pm Reason: Formatting
Old Aug 3, 2022, 4:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Don't know if this will make OP feel better or worse, but here is a very recent DP from P2 within the last couple of days: Estimated tax payment made in evening to IRS for >50% of spend required for Amex Business Gold SUB. SUB had already posted by next morning, i.e., while the charge was still Pending.

We think that the evidence for some systematic change in Amex's policy is slim to none, notwithstanding the worrisome examples that do pop up. They are likely buggy IT - check out the variation in refunds for paying for airline tickets with MR points - and talking to the overwhelmed, under-trained and under-compensated CSRs about this just makes the worry worse.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 5:00 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Originally Posted by nall
Hm, didn't notice this in r/churning. Link?
Use churning.io and search for amex tax. Here's one of the results: https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/co...ssmf&context=3
Old Aug 6, 2022, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
There are a ton of delays of getting bonus points credited these days. We are waiting for a Spend $3500 and get 2000 extra up to 3 times. Clearly qualified. Chat said 'known problem ... Amex working on it'.
Hopefully Amex will fix this soon.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Question for those who have a lot of experience with estimated income tax payments. I’ve been fortunate to be approved for several NLL biz plats over the past year or two. Invariably meet minimum spends with estimated income tax payments. I have a targeted NLL biz plat offer available right now with expiration April 2023. Based on AmEx 90 day same card rule, I wouldn’t be approved until approximately September 25 (estimated tax payments due September 15).

Any suggestions to apply for a(nother) biz plat and meet the minimum spend with estimated tax payments and avoid late estimated-tax-payment penalties? Thank you.

(Not an advocate of overpaying estimated taxes in order to meet minimum spends (and then receiving a refund), especially not $15,000 worth. And, based on my safe harbor estimated tax payments this year of 110% coupled with stock market performance, I’m expecting a large tax refund next year, don’t want to increase it even more.)
Old Aug 19, 2022, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by jchock1
I received a no lifetime Amex Plat Bus offer for 150k bonus points if I spent $15k in 3 months.

Spent $15k to pay income taxes online.

Normally bonus points have posted very shortly after meeting the minimum spend, but these points hadn't posted for a month, so I called.

The rep, after checking with "management" stated that paying taxes isn't an "eligibile purchase", so I won't be getting the 150k points. She insisted I wasn't purchasing any good or service, and thus it's not an eligible purchase.

This doesn't sound right.

HUACA?
Any luck with the points posting?
Old Aug 20, 2022, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I've had a similar fuss over the Gold Biz card, where some of my purchases were gift cards. I called repeatedly and was usually (note that I don't always get the same answer) told that I had met the spend requirement ($10K in my case). I was sometimes told they could see I was eligible for the SUB but it wasn't coded to my account, and one supervisor said flat-out I wasn't eligible.

Last call, last week, supervisor said that she could see I had bought gift cards, but that since I got points for purchasing the GC's they should count. She told me that she couldn't do anything more until 12 weeks from the end of the SUB period, which will be August 23, and that if it hadn't posted by then, she'd see that it got posted.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 11:13 pm

I paid some property taxes on my bus gold card towards my SUB. The bonus didn’t post, so I checked via chat with 30 days left ( in case for some reason it didn’t count). AmEx chat confirmed the bonus. When the points didn’t post 16 weeks later I checked via chat. They opened up an investigation and concluded that I wasn’t eligible for the bonus because property taxes are a government charge and not a good or service. I’m in the middle of disputing their decision since I confirmed it via chat with 30 days left where I could have still met the spend with an eligible charge if they had told me. So beware.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
^^ it seems like there are some issues with biz gold bonuses for whatever reason. I'm waiting on one that ought have posted a month ago, and I didn't have any tax payments. I think it's a wider issue that will probably get resolved, eventually.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
^^ it seems like there are some issues with biz gold bonuses for whatever reason. I'm waiting on one that ought have posted a month ago, and I didn't have any tax payments. I think it's a wider issue that will probably get resolved, eventually.
Dont think its just business Gold. I have 2 NLL targeted business platinums. First one bonus posted with 1-2 days of meeting spend few months ago. Second one reps keep telling me that they see 150k offer on my account and I have spent required $15k but its been 3 weeks since I met spend and no bonus. I understand I am still within 3 months that I have to spend the money and it hasnt been 12 weeks since I met the spend but I have never waited this long with AmEx. Dont want to take reps word and later learn that for some weird reason I didnt meet the spend. No gift card purchase and no tax payment. Only thing I can think of is that I paid $3k for an educational course - I really hope that they wont try to argue that it doesnt count for some reason. That will be very slippery slope. I got regular spent points for all the transactions.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 12:03 pm

Sorry to be dense, but: is there a consensus on whether federal income tax payments will or will not count toward minimum spend? FWIW, I need to do $15k over 12 mo on new AX Blue Business Plus. Thanks.

Last edited by tuphat; Sep 7, 2022 at 12:14 pm
Old Sep 7, 2022, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by tuphat
Sorry to be dense, but: is there a consensus on whether federal income tax payments will or will not count toward minimum spend? FWIW, I need to do $15k over 12 mo on new AX Blue Business Plus. Thanks.
The reason I think its not tax payments that are holding up your SUB is because I didnt make any tax payments on my card and I am still waiting on my SUB. There is some other issue going on with AmEx sub posting.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 1:42 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by vm81
The reason I think its not tax payments that are holding up your SUB is because I didnt make any tax payments on my card and I am still waiting on my SUB. There is some other issue going on with AmEx sub posting.
Yes Amex seem to have an issue that charges are considered “invalid” for the SUB even as they earned points and were valid before (used Kiva and one out of many charges tripped up my SUB - took a while to get that straightened out).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.