Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Charge Delta Airfare on Platinum or Delta Platinum?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2022, 10:45 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Really? The T&Cs say you have to pay with the Delta Platinum card…
You're correct about the T&Cs; also if you cancel your card, they will read you ominous language saying that the certificate is forfeit.

However despite all this, in practice there are ample DPs of people booking certificates, even after card cancellation, as long as you pay with any AMEX.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 11:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Your credit card spend does not apply at all to your MQD balance in your SkyMiles account.

if you spend $25k on the card then the requirement that you earn 3/6/9k MQDs is waived for Silver/Gold/Platinum status. You still need to earn the appropriate amount of MQMs or MQSs. If you spend $250k on the card then the requirement that you earn 12[?]k MQDs for Diamond is waived, and thus you can qualify just with 125k+ MQMs.
The MQD requirement for DM is $15,000, not $12,000. The requirement over PM is twice as much as the difference between GM and PM like it is for MQMs.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjl468
The companion certificate alone can easily cover the $250 annual fee for the Delta Plat if one travels often with a companion
It costs more than that because you have to pay 2 annual fees before you get the cert. (of course maybe someone will tell me there’s a workaround )
And if you read the DL forum thread on this topic you would prob not come away thinking it’s “easy” to extract tons of value.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 3:42 pm

It costs more than that because you have to pay 2 annual fees before you get the cert. (of course maybe someone will tell me there’s a workaround )
And if you read the DL forum thread on this topic you would prob not come away thinking it’s “easy” to extract tons of value.
The workaround is to use the pass as soon as your annual fee posts and then immediately cancel your card so that the annual fee is refunded. This way, you are able to get an extra pass without paying an extra annual fee, which cancels out not getting a pass for the first year. Even without that workaround though, the extra annual fee would eventually even out over the lifetime to the card where one could possibly still come out ahead without the workaround.

However, I do agree that for most people it's not worth the hassle to hold the card solely for the companion certificate as I considered doing so myself and deciding against it, just saying that it is possible to come out ahead given enough effort and flexibility.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Did somebody say workaround? The companion certs usually post before or around the same time as the annual fee, and once it is in your Delta account it'll stay there, regardless if you cancel the card (which per Amex policy, you have 30 days from the statement date the fee appears on). Only thing is when you redeem it, it has to be paid with an Amex, but it can be any Amex. I still have a companion cert I received in 2020 that had kept getting c0v!d extended.
mia and ijgordon like this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Did somebody say workaround?
Lol, I figured as much! Okay, point taken, but it didn't seem like this was the sole or even primary reason for the OP to have the card, so I'm still a bit over that...
Old Jul 5, 2022, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Really? The T&Cs say you have to pay with the Delta Platinum card…

Yes the T&Cs say that but I've literally never used my Delta AMEX cards to pay for my companion pass. I've always used my regular AMEX Plat and have never once had an issue doing that

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.