Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2022, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
BE AWARE: Access Investing is closing to new sign-ups in 2022, and the future of what will happen to existing accounts has not been communicated directly to current clients.

Morgan Stanley announcement: https://www.morganstanley.com/press-...fering-updates
Interview with the head of E*Trade indicating that accounts will move to E*Trade: https://www.fa-mag.com/news/firms-co...ors-70179.html

Importantly, as of November 2022 E*Trade accounts do NOT qualify as an eligible brokerage account for the CashPlus account fee waiver and E*Trade accounts are NOT eligible Morgan Stanley accounts for applying for and/or retaining an American Express Platinum card from Morgan Stanley.

If you're willing to risk incurring a few hundred dollars in fees chasing this deal, continue reading.

To open a Morgan Stanley co-branded American Express card you MUST be a Morgan Stanley client. You can satisfy this requirement by opening an Access Investing account with a $5,000 investment. Access Investing is a Robo (automated) product: https://www.morganstanley.com/what-w...sting/my-goals

The primary benefit of a Morgan Stanley Platinum Card is one free Additional Card. Optionally, if you also open a CashPlus Platinum account, deposit $25,000 and meet activity requirements, you become eligible for an Engagement Bonus which offsets the Platinum Card's annual fee. Note: If you don't have a qualifying investment account, or if your only investment account is an Access Investing account, there is no longer an Engagement Bonus paid in the first year of having the CashPlus Platinum account.

Recommended step-by-step guide if goal is MS AmEx Platinum card with bonus and effectively no annual fee as of 8/1/21:

- Open MS Access Investing account (to establish the MS relationship) using online application with $5,000.

- Wait a few days.

- Open Platinum CashPlus account (requires existing MS relationship), must be opened by phone or through an advisor, cannot be done online.

- Fund Platinum CashPlus account with $25K.

- Wait a few days.

- Confirm CashPlus account's Account Fee Status page shows “Morgan Stanley Investment Relationship = Yes”.

- Apply for MS AmEx Platinum Card via the link that shows up in the CashPlus account once it's open.

- $5,000 monthly deposit or Social Security deposit in any amount and $25,000 Average Daily Cash Balance in the Bank Deposit Program to avoid Platinum CashPlus Monthly Account Fee.

- Meet minimum spending requirement on the AmEx Platinum card, as of 8/1/21: $6,000 within 6 months to receive sign-up bonus.

- Confirm $695 Annual Engagement Bonus posts to Platinum CashPlus account approximately 6 weeks after credit card approval. (As of 8/1/21, considerable discussion as to whether the FIRST Annual Engagement Bonus is paid within first few months of credit card account opening or at about 1 year after credit card account opening.)

- $1,000+ yearly spending requirement on the AmEx Platinum card needed to avoid having to pay taxes on the Engagement Bonus. (This language was removed from the disclosure statement after the Engagement Bonus was increased to $695.)

- Enjoy the sign-up bonus and all other AmEx Plat perks, don’t eat or drink too much .

Notes:

All accounts can be opened the same day, best to wait a few days between account openings/applications to ensure each successive account is fully integrated into MS systems to avoid problems.

Few or no reports of MS AmEx Platinum credit card applications being declined for people with Access Investing and Platinum CashPlus accounts, seems once that MS relationship has been established, credit card approval is almost automatic.

The credit card will count toward Chase’s 5/24.

Premier CashPlus not eligible for $695 Annual Engagement Bonus for the MS AmEx Platinum Card.

MS launched Access Investing in December 2017, launched CashPlus in January 2020.

Print Wikipost

Morgan Stanley American Express Platinum Card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2023, 11:03 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Stockjock
.... I doubt American Express would close the card. ....
Why? The terms permit American Express to close the account if one does not qualify, and there is a closure mechanism in place:

Eligibility Terms

The Platinum Card® from American Express exclusively for Morgan Stanley is only available to you if you have an Eligible Morgan Stanley Smith Barney LLC brokerage Account ("Eligible Account"). An "Eligible Account" is a brokerage account (i) held in your name, (ii) held by a trust where you are both the grantor and trustee of such trust, or (iii) held as a beneficial owner of a personal holding company, a non-operating limited liability company, a non-operating limited partnership, or a similar legal entity. American Express will only issue The Platinum Card® from American Express exclusively for Morgan Stanley to (1) an eligible Morgan Stanley client who is an individual; and (2) an individual associated with a eligible Morgan Stanley client (if the eligible Morgan Stanley client itself is not an individual). Eligibility is subject to change. American Express may cancel your Card Account and participation in this program, if you do not maintain an Eligible Morgan Stanley brokerage Account.
Originally Posted by pcharles
I've had the MS Plat for several years There's a monthly report that is sent over to Amex from MS, and in my experience it is not just tied to your ssn. I've not had the CashPlus account. But after I closed my managed client brokerage account, I've since had more than once whereas Amex sends a letter informing me they are closing the card in 30days because I do not have an qualifying open account with MS. I have a separate open Access account (same ssn), I've gotten it fixed each time, but dealing with MS is a nightmare.
SpaethCo likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 10:26 am

So since Access Investing is no longer an option, are there now basically no (low cost of entry) options for someone with no MS relationship to get a CashPlus account in order to get an engagment bonus for the MS Amex platinum? I have an old ETrade brokerage from years ago that is still open, but that doesn't seem to help in this case. I usually keep about $20,000 in cash in a bank account for bill payments, so I am OK with the interest lost on the money by putting in $25,000 to get the engagement bonus. I've read about a PPP account as a possibility, but the details were hazy.

So, does anyone know any way of getting the CashPlus account to put the $25k in to get the engagement bonus?

Thanks!
Old Feb 1, 2023, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by mia
Why? The terms permit American Express to close the account if one does not qualify, and there is a closure mechanism in place:
Not saying it couldn't happen, but saying I don't think it would happen, as closing a credit card could impact one's credit score.

Do we have even a single example of Amex closing an account due to these circumstances?
Old Feb 1, 2023, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Do we have even a single example of Amex closing an account due to these circumstances?
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ameri...ts-dont-panic/

There's a scanned copy of the letter and everything. This is from the first go around with this setup where people were qualifying by opening up just an Access Investing account, getting one of the Morgan Stanley co-branded Amex cards, and then closing the Access Investing account themselves or not funding the account resulting in it being closed by Morgan Stanley.
dw and Stockjock like this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 11:34 am

Programs: UA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by Here4ThePoints
So since Access Investing is no longer an option, are there now basically no (low cost of entry) options for someone with no MS relationship to get a CashPlus account in order to get an engagment bonus for the MS Amex platinum? I have an old ETrade brokerage from years ago that is still open, but that doesn't seem to help in this case. I usually keep about $20,000 in cash in a bank account for bill payments, so I am OK with the interest lost on the money by putting in $25,000 to get the engagement bonus. I've read about a PPP account as a possibility, but the details were hazy.

So, does anyone know any way of getting the CashPlus account to put the $25k in to get the engagement bonus?

Thanks!
1) Get a job at AMZN or someone else that uses MS for RSUs.
2) Open Access Direct account

Alternatively, don’t bother. You could make 4-4.5% on your cash pile by putting it into an ETF that invests in 1-3 month T Bills.
SpaethCo likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 7:13 pm

Topic previously covered.

Last edited by Stockjock; Mar 7, 2023 at 8:30 pm
Old Feb 1, 2023, 8:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
What does it take to open the Access Direct Account?
Old Feb 1, 2023, 9:16 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
What does it take to open the Access Direct Account?
It's still unclear to me what MS account I need to open to get the Platinum Card without the engagement bonus and with just the free AU. I don't think that MS has clarified this yet, have they?
Old Feb 1, 2023, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
It's still unclear to me what MS account I need to open to get the Platinum Card without the engagement bonus and with just the free AU. I don't think that MS has clarified this yet, have they?
The terms are simple. You need a MS brokerage account. The bread and butter MS brokerage accounts cater to clients who are willing to pay AUM fees. It could make sense for you, but if your main motivation is the MS Plat, then probably not.

If your employer uses MS for its equity program, and you receive equity grants, then you can open an Access Direct account. IYKYK. It's entirely possible this account type will get transitioned to E-Trade, which also services employer equity grants. Who knows.
dw and Nagasaki Joe like this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 11:51 pm

While I cannot give specific investment advice here, I think I can say that an ETF is not guaranteed in any way. In my view, if one was looking at high-grade paper, rather than buying a non-guaranteed ETF, one could buy individual Treasuries or Certificates of Deposit or perhaps even something like preferred savings.

Why go with something uninsured when you can get about the same yield with a guarantee of some form, such as FDIC on CDs, where applicable, or full faith and credit of the U.S. Government in the case of Treasuries?

Disclaimer: The preceding is presented generically for educational purposes only. It is not a recommendation for or against any specific security, nor is an offer to buy or sell securities or a solicitation.
While there's a theoretical counterparty risk for any ETF, it's basically zero for an un-leveraged ETF that only holds long securities. Literally no one believes that any of the top fund sponsors would be allowed to fail after the 2008 bailouts. Morgan Stanley was loaned $107B in 2008 even though they let a single trader lose $8B and then paid him $10M to go away. Also, proprietary trading is separated from banking following the Volcker rule.

As to why bother with an ETF, some funds receive nearly all interest income from federal Treasuries, making this income exempt from state income tax. Currently, these tax-adjusted rates are better than any CD (full taxes) or muni fund (tax-exempt but poor yield) for those in high-tax states. This is a tricky area because many funds earn some/most of their distributions from repos on Treasuries, which disqualifies them from state income tax exemption. Also, some states are more strict than others. You have to look at the tax info provided by the fund sponsor to verify for yourself. It's true that buying bonds at primary auction is theoretically the most efficient, but there's a learning curve and most investors don't have a large enough position to justify the time. I don't mind paying 15 basis points in exchange for handling Treasury laddering.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by esquiar
While there's a theoretical counterparty risk for any ETF, it's basically zero for an un-leveraged ETF that only holds long securities. Literally no one believes that any of the top fund sponsors would be allowed to fail after the 2008 bailouts. Morgan Stanley was loaned $107B in 2008 even though they let a single trader lose $8B and then paid him $10M to go away. Also, proprietary trading is separated from banking following the Volcker rule.

As to why bother with an ETF, some funds receive nearly all interest income from federal Treasuries, making this income exempt from state income tax. Currently, these tax-adjusted rates are better than any CD (full taxes) or muni fund (tax-exempt but poor yield) for those in high-tax states. This is a tricky area because many funds earn some/most of their distributions from repos on Treasuries, which disqualifies them from state income tax exemption. Also, some states are more strict than others. You have to look at the tax info provided by the fund sponsor to verify for yourself. It's true that buying bonds at primary auction is theoretically the most efficient, but there's a learning curve and most investors don't have a large enough position to justify the time. I don't mind paying 15 basis points in exchange for handling Treasury laddering.
What I’m saying is that an ETF does not have a finite maturity like an individual bond or certificate of deposit typically would. Obviously, ETFs are popular, but you cannot compare them directly to a treasury or a certificate of deposit.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 1:11 am

Trying to cashout MR to morgan stanley and keep getting a "We're Sorry. A system error occurred. Your request cannot be processed at this time. Please try your request again at a later date." Anyone seeing the same? Trying to figure out if the system is just temporarily down or if there is some issue with my account...
Old Feb 8, 2023, 8:59 am

But no way to get an account today/
Old Feb 21, 2023, 7:06 pm

Has everyone give up on finding a method to get this account absent an employer relationship?
Old Feb 21, 2023, 9:46 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
Has everyone give up on finding a method to get this account absent an employer relationship?
You do not need an employer account. Open a brokerage account using your own money.
dw likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.