Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX asking to “verify income”. Should I verify it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2021, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG, HHonors

Hi All, I keep getting prompted by my AMEX app and website login to “verify my income”. The dilemma is that they show my income about 5x higher than it actually is. I’ve never falsely stated this income to them but I guess their computer algorithm thinks I’m super rich because I always pay in full.

what’s your opinion. Should I let it be, or should I correct it.

If I let it be, maybe I get better offers from AMEX, who think I’m super wealthy? But on the other hand it may get to the IRS for example and maybe I’d be audited because “Amex shows your income as 5x what you report on your tax forms”.

if I change it to something closer to the actual income is there some kind of disbenefit to doing so? Maybe it suddenly becomes more difficult to use the card or some transaction gets declined after I make the reduction in income value?

Personally I rather keep the honest way, but it’s just such a large difference I don’t want to “shoot myself in the foot” unnecessarily.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Last edited by aeropix; Nov 2, 2021 at 12:42 pm
Old Nov 2, 2021, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Your spending ability is based on your stated income on file.

So if your actual number is lower than what's on file. Any future charges may be impacted. Your credit line (if not charge card) can be reduced as well.

It is entirely up to you if you want to update this. This number always stays with AMEX and will not be shared to others.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 10:33 am

Programs: DL Silver, AA, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
FYI - Credit card companies do not report income verification data to the IRS.
LDNConsultant and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by aeropix
Hi All, I keep getting prompted by my AMEX app and website login to “verify my income”. The dilemma is that they show my income about 5x higher than it actually is. I’ve never falsely stated this income to them but I guess their computer algorithm thinks I’m super rich because I always pay in full.
FWIW, Amex has been asking me to update my income, but it shows what I last reported. And like most here I always pay my statement balance in full by the due date. I doubt that Amex is using an algorithm to guess your income based on payment history.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 11:46 am

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by garykung
Your spending ability is based on your stated income on file.

So if your actual number is lower than what's on file. Any future charges may be impacted. Your credit line (if not charge card) can be reduced as well.

It is entirely up to you if you want to update this. This number always stays with AMEX and will not be shared to others.
+1 its mostly to determine your spending ability more than anything its not the IRS..
Old Nov 2, 2021, 1:44 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by aeropix
....they show my income about 5x higher than it actually is......
In which country is your American Express card account issued?

In which currency is your card billed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.