Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum USA Clear membership fee reimbursement. [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 3, 2022, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Effective May 19, 2022 Platinum Card Members can now earn up to $189 (increased from $179) in statement
credits per calendar year when they use their Platinum Cards to pay for the annual CLEAR membership.
Purchases by both the Basic Card Member and any Additional Card Members on the Card Account are eligible
for statement credits. However, the total amount of statement credits for eligible purchases will not exceed $189
on the Card Account per calendar year. We are also changing the Benefit Name to $189 CLEAR Credit.
Print Wikipost

Platinum USA Clear membership fee reimbursement. [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2022, 9:36 pm
Rd3

Programs: HH Dia, Marriott Titanium, AA Gold, UA Silver
No one should every pay the $189 when you can get it for $119 by just being a DL or UA FF member--although I wonder if that price will be going up as well....
Arsene Wenger likes this.
Old May 3, 2022, 9:48 pm
Formerly doc4science

Programs: United Airlines Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Spanish
CMH has had Clear now at the B terminal for some time... At this airport, I fail to see how a membership would improve my experience. With Precheck, I'm 40min door-to-gate. 50min with checked luggages. I'm never behind more than 1 or 2 people in the Precheck lane, usually the only one.

I suppose if you're based at a hub airport, per some reports, it may be useful.

For someone who spends ~$20k+ on airfare annually, I would have trouble justifying $100/yr let alone $200/yr.

Am I just being cheap???
Clear at CMH is a joke. Precheck at CMH is often a joke... I've had Clear be beneficial at larger airports like LAX or JFK, but I personally wouldn't have it if I had to actually pay for it. Though if I can get if for "free" through AMEX I don't see a downside.
Spanish likes this.
Old May 3, 2022, 11:37 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Realize that CLEAR's business model *relies* on their customer base being small. If the CLEAR line backs up worse than the regular line, then there's no longer a benefit, and the negative press/customer sentiment will harm the business more than if they pruned their customer base themselves.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by diburning
Realize that CLEAR's business model *relies* on their customer base being small. If the CLEAR line backs up worse than the regular line, then there's no longer a benefit, and the negative press/customer sentiment will harm the business more than if they pruned their customer base themselves.
Then they will invent Clear Plus that gets you to the front of the Clear line. For only $20 dollars extra per month.
dpb132, Gar1P, emma dog and 4 others like this.
Old May 4, 2022, 2:15 am
Suspended

CMH has had Clear now at the B terminal for some time... At this airport, I fail to see how a membership would improve my experience. With Precheck, I'm 40min door-to-gate. 50min with checked luggages. I'm never behind more than 1 or 2 people in the Precheck lane, usually the only one.

For someone who spends ~$20k+ on airfare annually, I would have trouble justifying $100/yr let alone $200/yr.

Am I just being cheap???
The real premium flyers (i.e. congressmen/women, celebrities) go to private security lines at the airport, or they simply fly private jets. Mike Tyson flies JetBlue Mint class but I don't think he would stand in CLEAR or Pre-check lines.

Last edited by Mama; May 4, 2022 at 2:20 am
Old May 4, 2022, 6:13 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald

Am I just being cheap???
I'm also CMH-based, was excited when it first went in (BTW, it's also in the C concourse as well with DL and AS). But yeah, I fail to see how it's useful at all. Usually at either B or C I'm the first or second one in the pre-check lane. I'm almost positive CLEAR takes even longer than normal pre-check at CMH. I'm already through TSA while people in CLEAR are still staring at the box trying to get the retinal scanners to work.

At SEA, where I fly about every other week, CLEAR at checkpoint 5 is always mobbed, and I just walk into pre check-only checkpoint 4 and never take longer than 5 minutes. Even in a much bigger and busier airport like SEA, I really don't see the advantage of CLEAR at all.
Spanish likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 9:43 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
When it comes to the financials for Clear's service at airports for the at-airport passenger screening process, Clear's counterparts for the screening process are the airport/airport authority and/or the airline, depending on the specific circumstances applicable to a location.

While TSA has gotten into a financial arrangement with Clear, its financial relationship with the TSA at this point is not generally relevant to the passenger screening security lines that Clear members and other travelers see at the airports.
Old May 5, 2022, 7:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
As a weekly flyer, Clear saves me a bunch of time. There are often long Pre lines at large airports, including my two regulars, SFO and PHX, and you skip ahead of all that. It's also particularly valuable at JFK T4.
Old May 5, 2022, 8:21 am
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Dallas Love is a zoo in the morning, Clear is definitely worth it. Plus it is nice not to have to get or keep your ID out.
Old May 5, 2022, 9:59 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
It's been hit-or-miss for me. A couple of weeks ago, there was a back-up of people at the Clear line at T5 at LAX. I just walked up to the TSA Pre-Check person. I think the Clear folks were busy with new people or helping people scan their eyes, or whatever. On the other hand, coming home from MCO last week, Clear was a great benefit.

It's definitely nice to have but if I had to shell out my own $189, I'd totally take a pass
Old May 5, 2022, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by rthib
Dallas Love is a zoo in the morning, Clear is definitely worth it. Plus it is nice not to have to get or keep your ID out.
That's reason one that I use it, even if the Pre line is very short. I can have everything except my BP in my bag. And every rare once in a while, one doesn't get the TSA Precheck showing up on the BP.
Old May 5, 2022, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I totally understand why some people would say Clear isn't worth it. But I've had it since their only airport was MCO, and in all those years there are two times I know for a fact that I only made a flight because I had Clear. There are countless other times where I bypassed a long PreCheck line, which both fed the ego and allowed me to be productive in the terminal rather than wasting time standing in a line. Clear is free to me now because of United, but I'd absolutely pay $189 a year if I had to.
Old May 6, 2022, 4:01 pm

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards, Capital One Venture X Miles
so will the clear credit go up along with this hike? I just got the Amex plat and it still only lists that it covers 179. My membership should renew in July.
Old May 7, 2022, 4:40 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
The Clear Precheck line in ATL is frequently slower than the regular precheck line. I've found Clear to be useful precisely once: in ORD.
Old May 7, 2022, 12:09 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Those who say CLEAR is not a time saver should try DFW and DAL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.