Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

COVID refund - card already closed, points, welcome bonus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2021, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, DL Gold, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, WoH Explorist, Shangri-la Jade

So weird situation, if anyone has any DP, would be great!

shortly after opening my DL Gold AMEX in Oct 2019, I made a series of purchases, including concert tickets, which pushed my spend to the welcome bonus spend threshold right on time.

Fast forward to today, card account is already closed (1 month after anniversary), said concert which was continuously pushed back, finally was cancelled and a refund was issued to my card.

now i managed to get the credit issued to me as a check by AMEX, but I am worried about the implications of the welcome bonus spend and points. Should I be worried?
Old Apr 8, 2021, 11:29 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
American Express would have issued a check for the refund automatically. Do you have other American Express cards which earn Skymiles?
Old Apr 8, 2021, 11:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DreamHigh
So weird situation, if anyone has any DP, would be great!

shortly after opening my DL Gold AMEX in Oct 2019, I made a series of purchases, including concert tickets, which pushed my spend to the welcome bonus spend threshold right on time.

Fast forward to today, card account is already closed (1 month after anniversary), said concert which was continuously pushed back, finally was cancelled and a refund was issued to my card.

now i managed to get the credit issued to me as a check by AMEX, but I am worried about the implications of the welcome bonus spend and points. Should I be worried?
Since the bonus has long since been deposited into your Delta account, probably not. But I would make sure that this doesn't happen again, as it's possible that Amex may take notice.

If you're going to get a card just for the signup bonus, make sure you put enough over the minimum to account for this sort of thing (if the minimum spend is $3000, put $3500 on it).
mia likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, DL Gold, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, WoH Explorist, Shangri-la Jade
Originally Posted by mia
American Express would have issued a check for the refund automatically. Do you have other American Express cards which earn Skymiles?
no i dont
Old Apr 8, 2021, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
Since the bonus has long since been deposited into your Delta account, probably not. But I would make sure that this doesn't happen again, as it's possible that Amex may take notice.

If you're going to get a card just for the signup bonus, make sure you put enough over the minimum to account for this sort of thing (if the minimum spend is $3000, put $3500 on it).
I was aware of the stories from flyertalk, but I did not anticipate COVID happening, and I did not anticipate the refund at all. Total spend on the life of the card is of course more than the minimum spend, even with the refund. The transaction was at the beginning of the 3 months, not the qualifying transaction that pushed me over the threshold.

i was planning on keeping the card, but with COVID and no travel happening, I decided to axe the card.

thanks for your replies! The rep did tell me he thinks it isn’t an issue given the amount of time that has passed, as well as the fact that it was something I had no control over.

Last edited by DreamHigh; Apr 8, 2021 at 12:44 pm
Old Apr 8, 2021, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DreamHigh
I was aware of the stories from flyertalk, but I did not anticipate COVID happening, and I did not anticipate the refund at all. Total spend on the life of the card is of course more than the minimum spend, even with the refund. The transaction was at the beginning of the 3 months, not the qualifying transaction that pushed me over the threshold.

i was planning on keeping the card, but with COVID and no travel happening, I decided to axe the card.

thanks for your replies! The rep did tell me he thinks it isn’t an issue given the amount of time that has passed, as well as the fact that it was something I had no control over.
Word of advice: never call the bank/airline/hotel in situations like these. All you're doing is creating the opportunity for an agent to flag your account.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 10:38 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
I am curious what might happen it was a MR-earning card.

LAX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.