Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex zeros out a credit balance

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2021, 1:36 pm

No check is coming. It says so on the statement. It was an adjustment. The term amex wrote was "write-on" verus "write-off"

Last edited by Centurion; Jan 24, 2021 at 12:30 pm Reason: adding actual quote from amex
Old Jan 23, 2021, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Centurion
No check is coming. It says so on the statement. It was an adjustment.
I had this occur for a small sum. I think they called it a "charge on" (the reverse of "charge off").
Old Jan 23, 2021, 3:15 pm

I assume it's not worth the cost of sending you a check for <$1.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 3:23 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by kdm31091
Charging a timely cup of coffee should do it. And until the card reports a balance once again, one less balance is reported to the credit bureaus, in all likelihood increasing your FICO score!
Old Jan 23, 2021, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Centurion
No check is coming. It says so on the statement. It was an adjustment.
It explicitly says that no check is coming?

The last time I was issued a check, there was no mention on the statement itself other than that my balance was adjusted. I contacted AmEx, and they said that a check was already on the way.
dayone and Yoshi212 like this.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Originally Posted by kdm31091
Amex doesn't get to make that decision. It's OP's money. There's nothing in the T&C that they can keep your money if they determine it's not worth it for them to give your money back to you. Or maybe there is -- and I can't imagine such a provision legal/enforceable.
roberto99 and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 7:56 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Whether or not what happened is right, whether or not a check is coming, I wouldn’t spend that much time on a <$1.00 discrepancy. What I might do, is online chat with AMEX to see what the deal is and they may open an investigation, or just credit your account $1. But beyond that I’m not going scorched earth with AMEX for some pennies.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by jags86
Whether or not what happened is right, whether or not a check is coming, I wouldn’t spend that much time on a <$1.00 discrepancy. What I might do, is online chat with AMEX to see what the deal is and they may open an investigation, or just credit your account $1. But beyond that I’m not going scorched earth with AMEX for some pennies.
Mr. Moneybags over here.
LAX_Esq and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by comptalk
Mr. Moneybags over here.
LOL there's always a Mr. Moneybags in every thread involving a money issue who feels the need to let everyone know how he's too rich to worry about the amount in question -- whether it's 1 cent, 1 dollar, 10 dollars, 100 dollars... or maybe even several hundred dollars. It's amazing.
TravelingZoomer likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 11:13 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
I actually try not to get confrontational with AMEX because they are, by far, the most generous credit card out there. I would rather not have extra eyes on my account.
dayone likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 3:13 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

de minimis
[dā ˈminiˌmēs]

ADJECTIVE
  1. too trivial or minor to merit consideration, especially in law.
PKCorey likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by LAX_Esq
Amex doesn't get to make that decision. It's OP's money. There's nothing in the T&C that they can keep your money if they determine it's not worth it for them to give your money back to you. Or maybe there is -- and I can't imagine such a provision legal/enforceable.
I'm sure it is in there somewhere, and received comment and approval by the highest echelons of the legal department. We'd all have received notice of some sort of class action by this point if there was some sort of possibly legitimate case. Can you only imagine someone who became ill because of a doctor-prescribed prescription due to pain from the vaginal mesh, and overpaid the medical bill on the AX card by 59¢?

It isn't as if AX was secretly trying to Office Space us out of billions of dollars.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 8:20 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
It isn't as if AX was secretly trying to Office Space us out of billions of dollars.
I found out the other day that there's a term for this! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salami_slicing
Old Jan 24, 2021, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
I found out the other day that there's a term for this! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salami_slicing
LOL thanks. On this note, would you consider this "salami slicing"? A certain national retailer does what I feel is salami slicing on the sales tax when you return something and there's a sales tax discrepancy. I live between counties, and the sales tax where I live is much higher than in the county where I tend to run my errands (and do in-store returns). If I buy something online for delivery to my home in the expensive-tax county and return it in store in the cheap-tax county, most major retailers have 21st century IT systems that are perfectly capable of automatically figuring out what tax rate I paid and automatically refunding me this tax amount.

At this one particular retailer, their IT seems to be from 1980, and their computers are incapable of refunding the tax based on the rate you paid when you made the purchase... or their employees and managers are totally unable to grasp the basic concept and make the computer manually do this. The amount in question is usually too little to make a big stink about, but the employees act like you're from Mars if you try to explain the concept to them.

Either they're overpaying the state tax authorities, or they're illegally pocketing money from customers under the guise of tax.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 8:54 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by LAX_Esq
A certain national retailer does what I feel is salami slicing on the sales tax when you return something and there's a sales tax discrepancy.
I've observed this too, although in my case I *think* I benefited from it (I definitely noticed the discrepancy anyway, it might even have been in a different state). I would wonder if it was the same national retailer but it was long enough ago that I've forgotten all the details though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.