Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consistently higher prices on FHR...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2020, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Consistently higher prices on FHR...

I'm not sure if there's a good channel to complain or do something about this, but the last 3-4 times I've booked a hotel, the Amex FHR rate is consistently higher. Maybe this is the hotel being squirrely by offering a lower direct rate (e.g., Four Seasons has a 25% off promotion...which, lo and behold, FHR does not!) but Amex won't do anything, the hotel won't do anything, and the rate difference is sufficiently substantial where the FHR benefits are NOT worth the extra price...which makes me wonder why I keep this card.

Not sure if anyone else has been having this issue or any luck getting Amex to match the rate.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I'm not sure I understand your issue, but I think you're saying if you book via the FHR website the rate is higher than booking via other channels. If that's what you're saying, it's not unusual and I wouldn't expect anyone to do anything about it. You can think of the FHR rates like any other corporate or discount rate code. Sometimes they are worth booking, as the benefits exceed any price premium. Sometimes they are not, as you've seen, because there are other rates with other benefits/features that may offer a better value at the time.

You will not get AmEx to match anyone else's rate and still offer the FHR benefits.
Steve M, IndyHoosier and Statman like this.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 12:44 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Previous discussion (2009) to illustrate that this is not new, but may be more apparent when hotel occupancy is low:

Combining Amex FHR and four seasons deal?
ABG likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Yes, the rate is higher -- always now. Before the rate was always the same, but with FHR benefits.

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
I'm not sure I understand your issue, but I think you're saying if you book via the FHR website the rate is higher than booking via other channels. If that's what you're saying, it's not unusual and I wouldn't expect anyone to do anything about it. You can think of the FHR rates like any other corporate or discount rate code. Sometimes they are worth booking, as the benefits exceed any price premium. Sometimes they are not, as you've seen, because there are other rates with other benefits/features that may offer a better value at the time.

You will not get AmEx to match anyone else's rate and still offer the FHR benefits.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 5:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I check three things with hotel rates: 1) FHR, 2) hotel website, 3) Egencia (don't mean to single it out -- Expedia, Bookings.com would be similar). Usually FHR or the hotel site is the best deal.

It's of some interest to see how often you can get a better deal than FHR, but the FHR benefits are substantial and often make it the best choice. It's always worth checking FHR if you have the Plat card.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sometimes the rate is higher, sometimes the same. Just the way it is.
dhuey and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 9:29 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Specifically is Four Seasons, the vast majority of their promotions combine with their own Preferred Partner program, even if it has to be requested on an Ad-hoc basis.
The OP could visit the FT Luxury Hotel forum for more info on that Four Seasons program
Old Nov 6, 2020, 12:32 pm
formerly FamilyFlyers

Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons Preferred Partner, Select Hotels, The Travel Collection, American Express PWP
Just use a Four Seasons Preferred Provider. The perks are almost identical and they combine with virtually all the direct rates.
Old Nov 7, 2020, 1:21 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Expedia currently has the Arizona Biltmore for the same price as FHR (January 2021), but no daily breakfast, no $100 F&B credit per stay, no late-checkout, and no chance at an upgrade even if the hotel is at low capacity.

I was on the phone earlier this week with Amex Platinum Travel asking about an all-inclusive when they were 10% higher than the hotel's rate, she dived into a little rant/justification about how travel agencies contract rates in advance, and the hotels and resorts will later cut rates on their own websites and with OTAs when capacity is low. I suspect that's what you're seeing. It of course can work the other way, I've seen some really nice deals in Vegas, for example.
Statman likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2020, 8:36 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
As always, compare your options. There isn't an option that is always the "best". Most avenues have their pros and cons. If you must get these perks, other posters have posted what you can do. It may result in limiting your choices in the name of perks.
Kacee and IndyHoosier like this.

Last edited by Super Mario; Nov 8, 2020 at 7:38 am
Old Nov 7, 2020, 4:22 pm

I have two nights at an FHR location booked for next weekend and the price booked through Amex travel was the same as it was directly with the property.
Old Nov 7, 2020, 10:45 pm

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Super Mario
There isn't always an option that is always the "best".
For example, the 4pm late checkout with FHR. That can be of no benefit for me on some trips, and like an extra free night on others.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 12:32 pm

Programs: AMEX Business Centurion
I notice that FHR rates are usually higher as well (but not always). This makes it usually the 3rd or 4th place to check when making bookings, and a lot of the times I don't go past the first two websites out of wanting to just get the booking done.

IF they ever decided to make the Amex Travel portal a place that you knew for certain that you'd be getting the best price, or equal to the best price seen elsewhere at worst, then it would be my first (and possibly only) stop when booking travel. Like with Amazon early on, after realizing after so many tries to comparison shop for better prices, that Amazon is almost always the best price, I stopped even looking at other websites for 99% of my online shopping needs.

Take note Amex, this could be you too, if you play your cards right.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 12:41 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Given the dynamics of the hotel business, I don't see how any site could always have the lowest price, or even approach it. Most hotels are franchises, which means every individual property has someone with the authority to set prices. In addition, a large fraction of room night inventory is in the hands of consolidators who can set prices independently of property management, in spite of nominal agreements to coordinate.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 8:59 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
FHR is not intended to be a low cost leader rate. Whether it provides value compared to booking direct with the property will vary, particularly in these rather unusual times.
IndyHoosier likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.