Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Time to Cash Out

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2020, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HA PL, Hilton 💎, Marriott Ti, Wyndham/Caesars 💎, Hertz PC
If I were in your shoes I'd first call for retention offers. Amex is historically generous, and given your spend and relationship history with them you could get their most generous offers (waived AF, 50k+ MR, etc.). Then I'd get the Schwab Amex Platinum so you can cash out @1.25x. If I was also someone of means and had assets lying around I'd look into shuffling stuff over to Schwab to earn annual fee statement credits if it was worthwhile and not a huge hassle, since it's only going to save you a couple hundred. Burning through that many points via transfer would be challenging, even if you took multiple RTW itineraries in F/J per year. $37k is half of a new Corvette or a down payment on a condo someplace warm.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 6:06 pm

Programs: AMEX Business Centurion
I'm also sitting on a seven figure MR balance with nowhere in sight to spend them. Once the writing was on the wall I pivoted most of my spend to a cash back card. YMMV but this one has worked well for quite a few FTers:
BofA Premium Rewards card
Old Nov 1, 2020, 10:57 am
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by dhuey
I also vote for the Schwab option, given the OP's circumstances. That's about $34,000 (1.25 cents per point). Simple, quick, and a reasonable return on your points.
i'm in same situation, not as many points but a boatload.

Mine is business platinum where I did use a few hundred thousand over last couple of years for 35 percent back, but I also have millions of airline points with all three majors and no need to earn miles anymore due to lifetime status with AA DL and backdoor to UA with Marriott lifetime titanium.

I think I will wait until after Jan first and at least get two hundred dollar AA via 500 milers (Maybe this perk is with Schwab so I can get both next year) and Dell $100 or maybe $200 again first half of year. Not sure how $200 credit and Saks works for Schwab. If I get it prior to Dec 2020 can I do Saks and $200 by end of year and reset next year?

Thanks
thepla
Old Nov 1, 2020, 1:23 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by thepla
Mine is business platinum....
The features of Business Platinum have diverged from personal Platinum over the past several years. The Schwab Platinum is a personal card. It does not have (example) the 35% rebate on Pay-with-Points airfare.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 1:58 pm
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by mia
The features of Business Platinum have diverged from personal Platinum over the past several years. The Schwab Platinum is a personal card. It does not have (example) the 35% rebate on Pay-with-Points airfare.
i knew that but planning on cashing out points via Schwab.

I think my annual fee is not due for a while so I should be able to use Business ones that are available on Jan 1 like Dell and $200 AA --> 500 milers (stickers).I'd cancel just prior to annual fee.

From Business to Personal most seem same except Dell vs Saks. no 35% rebate on points, some other differences were at year end, I think Cruise, Centurion, Priority Pass, etc. seem to be same.
mia likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.