Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Higher offer after application but before activation

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2020, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Higher offer after application but before activation

Recently applied for Bonvoy Business, got the card, haven't even activated it when I saw a much better offer (100k, statement credit, Plat status).
Amex doesn't match, I know. But as I haven't even used the card, can I close it and reapply?
Old Oct 17, 2020, 4:33 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by stevento
... can I close it and reapply?
They system will likely show that you have previously held the card, which would make you ineligible for the bonus.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 9:24 am
Original Poster

called, rep said she'll file a request to be matched to a better offer, expect result in 8 weeks. Is that a thing? Or am I waiting 8 weeks to hear a no?
Old Oct 18, 2020, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
So if you wait eight weeks and don’t put any spend on the card, and hear yes, that’s basically 2/3rds of the 3 months you have to spend $5,000 you’ve wasted.

I’d plough through. You aren’t actually any worse off than when you actually applied for the card in the first place. Closing the card probably means you won’t get ANY bonus the next time you apply. Sometimes we don’t have perfect timing... that and if you put enough spend on the card you can probably get a retention offer for year two, which is basically what that second 25k tranch of Marriott points is.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 1:07 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by mia
They system will likely show that you have previously held the card, which would make you ineligible for the bonus.
I know this may be nitpicking, but if OP never received the bonus, would that still make him ineligible as I thought eligibility is based on the last time someone receiving the bonus? Now, whether he will get approved for a second time for the same card after he closed it within weeks without any spend is another matter, not to mention the criteria about not having been a card holder of certain CC within the last certain number of days.

LAX
Old Oct 18, 2020, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
So if you wait eight weeks and don’t put any spend on the card, and hear yes, that’s basically 2/3rds of the 3 months you have to spend $5,000 you’ve wasted.

I’d plough through. You aren’t actually any worse off than when you actually applied for the card in the first place. Closing the card probably means you won’t get ANY bonus the next time you apply. Sometimes we don’t have perfect timing... that and if you put enough spend on the card you can probably get a retention offer for year two, which is basically what that second 25k tranch of Marriott points is.
Meeting the spend is not a problem, there is always a $5k bill laying around... and it's not just 25k pts ,it's the combo of extra points, status, and advertising credit.
If it's gone, it's gone, no big deal... I was just surprised to hear the rep say she'll file a request. I have not heard of that happening before, was looking for any data points.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 2:42 pm
mia

Originally Posted by LAX
.... I thought eligibility is based on the last time someone receiving the bonus?...
No. That is Chase and Citi policy, not American Express policy. Read the terms of any American Express offer, no mention of previous bonuses. Example:

Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had this Card or the Premier Rewards Gold Card. We may also consider the number of American Express Cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors in making a decision on your welcome offer eligibility.
In the case of Marriott cards, the same language appears and there is additional disqualifying language based on other cards, some of which does mention bonuses, but if you have previously had this card you are disqualified without regard to those other conditions:

Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product or The Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express. We may also consider the number of American Express Cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors in making a decision on your welcome offer eligibility.

Welcome offer not available to applicants who (i) have or have had the Marriott BonvoyTM Premier Plus Business Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Business Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Bonvoy BusinessTM Credit Card from Chase, or the Marriott Rewards® Business Credit Card from Chase in the last 30 days, (ii) have acquired the Marriott Bonvoy BoundlessTM Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Bonvoy BoldTM Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott BonvoyTM Premier Credit Card from Chase or the Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card from Chase in the last 90 days, or (iii) received a new Card Member bonus offer in the last 24 months on the Marriott Bonvoy BoundlessTM Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Bonvoy BoldTM Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott BonvoyTM Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase or the Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card from Chase.

Last edited by mia; Oct 18, 2020 at 8:47 pm
Old Oct 18, 2020, 2:59 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
called, rep said she'll file a request to be matched to a better offer, expect result in 8 weeks. Is that a thing? Or am I waiting 8 weeks to hear a no?
You’re waiting 8 weeks to hear no.
krazykanuck and JordanWalker like this.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 10:56 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by mia
No. That is Chase and Citi policy, not American Express policy. Read the terms of any American Express offer, no mention of previous bonuses. Example:

In the case of Marriott cards, the same language appears and there is additional disqualifying language based on other cards, some of which does mention bonuses, but if you have previously had this card you are disqualified without regard to those other conditions:
Wow. I didn't realize it's double whammy. Thanks for the correction. It appears the best course of action for OP is to fulfill the spend requirement and see what happens. If Amex ends up granting the new offer, great. If not, he still got what he initially signed up for.

LAX
Old Oct 19, 2020, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LAX
Wow. I didn't realize it's double whammy. Thanks for the correction. It appears the best course of action for OP is to fulfill the spend requirement and see what happens. If Amex ends up granting the new offer, great. If not, he still got what he initially signed up for.

LAX
not necessarily.
If I close the card, then my clock is 90 days from approval. If I get the bonus, my clock is 24 months.
I intend to wait it out. I doubt I'll have to wait the entire 8 weeks. If I get a no, will make a decision then.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 3:59 pm
mia

If I close the card, then my clock is 90 days from approval..
Review the first paragraph of the terms. There is no clock, because you "have had" the same card.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Review the first paragraph of the terms. There is no clock, because you "have had" the same card.
oh, you mean the first line? D'uh!

thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.