Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer business account to successor?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2020, 11:29 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Transfer business account to successor?

Is anyone familiar with American Express's policies regarding business card account transfers to a successor?

Background: My father is the primary cardholder for our family business's American Express accounts. I've been assuming his day-to-day roles and am his named successor. We are now interested in transferring our Amex accounts over to me so that I become the primary cardholder. We do not want to apply for new accounts, nor lose any of the MR points we have accumulated over the years.

I know I can reach out to our Amex rep about all this, but first wanted to see if anyone here had any practical experience in this area. Thank you in advance!

Last edited by browe; Sep 10, 2020 at 12:17 am
Old Sep 9, 2020, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Is the account backed up by personal credit, i.e. is your father's SSN on file?
Old Sep 10, 2020, 12:01 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Yes it is. FWIW I am an authorized user and the account manager on these business accounts, and also have my own personal account with AmEx.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I could be wrong at this - I don't believe it can be transferred.

I would say - the easiest thing is to apply a new card under your name and the business. For your father's card, I believe business and personal account MR are pooled altogether. So as soon as you have a personal MR card, the MR will stay safe with your father.

But for some reasons, you want to keep the account for the business, I would say you have to keep it as-is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.