Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Canadian Centurion question - death of primary cardholder

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2020, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat / OWE (Lifetime Gold), Aeroplan SE, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Avis Pres't Circle

I have a question the answer to which I am hoping that folks here may know, or at least be able to provide some information for further review or research directions.

A friend of mine was recently widowed. She is a secondary cardholder on her late husband's Centurion card (he has been a Centurion cardholder for many years - greater than 20, I believe). She wants to keep the Centurion card as she likes the benefits (and doesn't mind paying the annual fee; I've suggested she could save some money but she's not really interested in that and frankly it looks like she doesn't need to worry about that). She will be a woman of substance with her inheritance, but she won't have any ongoing employment income, only investment income once she invests the life insurance policies, retirement savings and other testamentary benefits she will receive (which I gather will be high 7 figures; maybe 8).

I assume she will have to apply in her own right for a new Centurion card - but is there any way to avoid having to do so or is there a basis for her to plead her case on the basis of her assets (rather than income). Has anyone had to deal with Amex Centurion in such circumstances, or have any advice or information on what to do / where to start?
Old Aug 14, 2020, 1:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UA Mileage Silver, Hilton Gold
Usually when the primary card holder dies the account becomes void. So your friend will have to "apply" for the card.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I agree. I don't think there is a grandfathering clause for this situation, she'll have to reapply. I don''t know, but I can imagine Amex being happy to extend membership to her.
captaindomon likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 1:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If there isn't a process to apply to transfer the account to her, she will probably have to pay the initial fee again. She might be able to request to continue to work with the same Centurion employee.

Ten million in financial assets (not counting the home, etc.) would mean $500,000 pretax annual income using a 5% guideline. That's not enormous for Centurion.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 2:00 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Guidance for Managing Deceased Accounts

I would read here: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/h...rdmembers.html

There is a process for taking over an account, but I do not know if Centurion accounts are eligible,
captaindomon likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat / OWE (Lifetime Gold), Aeroplan SE, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Avis Pres't Circle
Originally Posted by mia
I would read here: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/h...rdmembers.html

There is a process for taking over an account, but I do not know if Centurion accounts are eligible,
That's very helpful. Thanks so much.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 4:37 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Depending on the amount of points on the account, transferring them over could be worth a significant amount of money as well
Old Aug 15, 2020, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Chalkie
I have a question the answer to which I am hoping that folks here may know, or at least be able to provide some information for further review or research directions.

A friend of mine was recently widowed. She is a secondary cardholder on her late husband's Centurion card (he has been a Centurion cardholder for many years - greater than 20, I believe). She wants to keep the Centurion card as she likes the benefits (and doesn't mind paying the annual fee; I've suggested she could save some money but she's not really interested in that and frankly it looks like she doesn't need to worry about that). She will be a woman of substance with her inheritance, but she won't have any ongoing employment income, only investment income once she invests the life insurance policies, retirement savings and other testamentary benefits she will receive (which I gather will be high 7 figures; maybe 8).

I assume she will have to apply in her own right for a new Centurion card - but is there any way to avoid having to do so or is there a basis for her to plead her case on the basis of her assets (rather than income). Has anyone had to deal with Amex Centurion in such circumstances, or have any advice or information on what to do / where to start?
You may also want to warn your friend that making any purchases after her husband's death maybe illegal.
captaindomon likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 12:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by newbie88
You may also want to warn your friend that making any purchases after her husband's death maybe illegal.
Against Amex policy possibly, but unlikely to be ‘illegal’ in a criminal context. Especially if the friend is the beneficiary.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by newbie88
Why say something if you aren't certain?

Anyway the smart thing is not to transfer points but just to use them. She shouldn't notify Amex that her husband has died, until she has taken care of the stuff in the account (like points).
Old Aug 16, 2020, 8:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Someone who left an estate in the neighborhood of $10 Million (remember, that was just the life insurance) is likely to have a professional retained to handle the estate. In fact, more than simply an executor/administrator, but also tax counsel and perhaps an accountant. One of the first things that any professional would do is to notify all identifiable creditors of the death.

Bleeding off points post-mortem on Centurion with a $10 Million + estate simply puts the professionals in an awkward and perhaps quite adverse position during the probate and other settlement processes.

This will cause others on the account to be contacted to determine what, if anything, they wish to do about further credit. Best that she get the Centurion issue affirmatively settled and not wait.
MSPeconomist and captaindomon like this.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Against Amex policy possibly, but unlikely to be ‘illegal’ in a criminal context. Especially if the friend is the beneficiary.
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Why say something if you aren't certain?

Anyway the smart thing is not to transfer points but just to use them. She shouldn't notify Amex that her husband has died, until she has taken care of the stuff in the account (like points).
Its one thing to be the beneficiary of the will and another to have that will to go through probate. Strange things can happen in probate.

I think using points after the date of death will not win points with amex especially if you are trying to retain the card/apply for the card.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 12:26 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Often1
Someone who left an estate in the neighborhood of $10 Million (remember, that was just the life insurance) is likely to have a professional retained to handle the estate. In fact, more than simply an executor/administrator, but also tax counsel and perhaps an accountant. One of the first things that any professional would do is to notify all identifiable creditors of the death.

Bleeding off points post-mortem on Centurion with a $10 Million + estate simply puts the professionals in an awkward and perhaps quite adverse position during the probate and other settlement processes.

This will cause others on the account to be contacted to determine what, if anything, they wish to do about further credit. Best that she get the Centurion issue affirmatively settled and not wait.
That professional should be able to advise the survivor about keeping the AmEx account too, although hopefully the professional didn't already contact AmEx without telling the person or warning her to avoid using the card in the meantime.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Per #2 in the below page of creditcards.com, use of a deceased person's credit card is fraud. As a practical matter though, the credit card company won't complain as long as they get paid.

https://www.creditcards.com/credit-c...ving%20spouse.

On the takeover of account Amex page, I read it to be more about how an executor can get access to see charges to the account and make payments.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 12:35 pm

Is that the same as the use of one's *own* card as an authorized user on a deceased person's account? What if the authorized user isn't immediately notified of the death?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.