Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Is downgrading the Bonvoy Brilliant to the $95 AF Bonvoy card still possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2020, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond

I have a 100k upgrade offer on my $95 AF Bonvoy card and I know the latter is no longer available for new applications, but is it still available as a downgrade option for the Brilliant? I wouldn't want to keep paying the $450 AF indefinitely just for the certificate so whether I'd be able to downgrade back to what I currently have after a year is a consideration for me.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 7:12 am

Programs: Delta Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold)
From my experience, it is.

I recently called to see if I could get a retention offer on my AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant, but they did not have any offers for me.
They did offer a downgrade to the card with the $95 annual fee, but I kept the Bonvoy Brilliant.

Edit: I also upgraded last year (March 2019) from the $95 SPG card to the Bonvoy Brilliant for an upgrade offer similar to yours.

Last edited by TheIronWill; Apr 20, 2020 at 7:17 am
Old Apr 20, 2020, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
So can you product downgrade to this card if you never had the $95 card, but grab the Brilliant for a year?
Adelphos likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 6:18 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold)
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
So can you product downgrade to this card if you never had the $95 card, but grab the Brilliant for a year?
Not too sure. I believe the agent was referencing the $95 AF Marriott Bonvoy Card from American Express. (My SPG card was going to become that before my upgrade)
However, the card is no longer open for applications and I don't know if it's an downgrade option for only those who have had it.

Here is that card's history:
  1. $95 AF SPG card for 2 years with free first year
  2. $450 AF Marriott Brilliant card upgrade for 1 year
  3. Talked with the agent and decided to keep the Marriott Brilliant card as it offers a stronger free night redemption (50,000 points instead of the 35,000 points with the $95 AF card)
Old Apr 21, 2020, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by TheIronWill
Not too sure. I believe the agent was referencing the $95 AF Marriott Bonvoy Card from American Express. (My SPG card was going to become that before my upgrade)
However, the card is no longer open for applications and I don't know if it's an downgrade option for only those who have had it.
Yeah. Because of reasons (*cough*5/24*cough*) I'd rather be in the AMEX ecosystem long term than in the Chase one. I'm not enough of a Marriott partisan to prefer the Brilliant over Hilton Aspire if I want to dive in for a $450 AF hotel card long term (I'd pick the Aspire, though TBH I'm not even sure I'd keep that year to year)... but a $95 AF card with a 35k free night might be a keeper card for me.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 12:37 pm

I called an inquired about a retention offer, but nothing in the system for me. They didn't offer to downgrade either, said it wasn't possible. Anyone actually downgraded?
Old Apr 26, 2020, 2:15 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by leng
..... didn't offer to downgrade either, said it wasn't possible.
Has your account been open for at least 12 full months?
Old Apr 26, 2020, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Has your account been open for at least 12 full months?
Yes, my AF just posted.
Old May 2, 2021, 6:37 pm

Is downgrading the Bonvoy Brilliant to the $95 AF Bonvoy card still possible? Any recent data points?
Old May 5, 2021, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by mster
Is downgrading the Bonvoy Brilliant to the $95 AF Bonvoy card still possible? Any recent data points?
I would like to know too.
Old May 6, 2021, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
It seems clear one had to previously have had the Marriott Bonv°y AmEx $95 version (or its SPG predecessor) to be eligible for the downgrade.

The question is whether they are still doing this.

Considering that the rationale is to prevent AmEx from poaching mid-level (Chase) cardholders, and preventing a back-door evasion of the agreed-upon price-level segmentation among the banks, my guess would be "Yes."

Chase will be actively on the lookout for shenanigans, so AmEx will likely insist that only former cardholders are eligible for the downgrade to the former product.
Old May 6, 2021, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
It seems clear one had to previously have had the Marriott Bonv°y AmEx $95 version (or its SPG predecessor) to be eligible for the downgrade.

The question is whether they are still doing this.

Considering that the rationale is to prevent AmEx from poaching mid-level (Chase) cardholders, and preventing a back-door evasion of the agreed-upon price-level segmentation among the banks, my guess would be "Yes."

Chase will be actively on the lookout for shenanigans, so AmEx will likely insist that only former cardholders are eligible for the downgrade to the former product.
We could use a dp or two.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 1:58 pm

Programs: FB Platinum (STE+), BA Gold (OWE), A3 Silver (*S), Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I confirmed via chat that I will be able to DG to the $95 card (I previously held that card). Waiting for one Amex Offer to credit and will execute the downgrade then. Will report back when successful!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
I downgraded mine back down to the $95 version about 3 months ago, shortly after the $450 fee posted. Interestingly enough, a few weeks ago, I did get the annual 50K cert (I thought I’d be getting the 35K one)
Old Oct 9, 2021, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
I downgraded earlier this year right after the fee posted. Amex wasn’t willing to offer any retention bonus or fee credit. I like the card and easy to justify the AF fee with normal travel patterns so will probably upgrade back to the card next year.

Had the SPG card that was upgraded to Brilliant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.