Wiki Posts
Search

Refund for credit balance on account?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2020, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Refund for credit balance on account?

Hi all,
Because of a bunch of cancelled flights being refunded to my Amex personal platinum card, I now have a large negative balance in my account, equivalent to several months of normal spend.

Is there a way to get Amex to refund this money to my checking account? Or do I just have to wait for my normal spend to reduce the balance? I couldn't find anything about this subject on the Amex website.

Thanks very much,
Saunders111
Old Apr 2, 2020, 12:14 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
See instructions for requesting a refund here: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...ce-refund.html
Often1 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
See instructions for requesting a refund here: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...ce-refund.html

Thank you!

Saunders111
Old Apr 3, 2020, 4:14 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
They will also refund you automatically after a few months (I believe they are legally required to do so).
Old Apr 4, 2020, 12:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
If you have other AmEx cards, you can also request to have a portion of the negative balance (credit) transferred over to offset any positive balances you may have.
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA, HH, HGC
Originally Posted by econ
If you have other AmEx cards, you can also request to have a portion of the negative balance (credit) transferred over to offset any positive balances you may have.
Is that true for both charge and credit cards?

In other words, if one has a credit balance on the Gold card, can it be moved to the Aspire card?
Old Apr 8, 2020, 12:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by VistaFlyer

In other words, if one has a credit balance on the Gold card, can it be moved to the Aspire card?
In my experience, yes.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 12:54 am

Programs: HH Diamond, AA Gold, Marriot Plat
Originally Posted by VistaFlyer

Go open dispute and select open Request for credit or something Request then put in the exact amount you would like them to cut you the check for. Just did this the other day from an approved dispute with Ortiz. You can always chat with them as well for assistance
Old Apr 8, 2020, 10:32 am

Programs: United Plat
Originally Posted by econ
In my experience, yes.
Two questions about the big refund to AMEX card:

Do I have to wait until AMEX runs the statement to do the credit transfer from card A to card B? Years ago I was refused to get a check because it hadn't reached the end of statement cycle. I guess credit transfer is different?

Does credit transfer offset the minimal spending required for sign-up bonus or retention offer?

Thanks.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by sfo3388
Do I have to wait until AMEX runs the statement to do the credit transfer from card A to card B? Years ago I was refused to get a check because it hadn't reached the end of statement cycle. I guess credit transfer is different?
Don't recall, but I probably did wait until the statements posted since I'm usually not in a hurry to do anything until then. LIke previous poster recommended, I used the chat feature to get this done farily quickly, but I'm guessing that nothing happens quickly nowadays based on the experience I had with Citi chat recently (>45 min for a rep to become available)

Does credit transfer offset the minimal spending required for sign-up bonus or retention offer?
I can't see why it should, although I have no idea how AmEx has a way of distinguishing this type of credit from say, a purchased item that was returned.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 10:05 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Does credit transfer offset the minimal spending required for sign-up bonus or retention offer?.
Which card has the bonus, the card that now has the credit balance, or the card to which you wish to transfer the credit?
Old Apr 8, 2020, 10:51 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Will AMEX provide a refund (check) with a credit balance?

A derivative question to the cash refund thread...... So I am encouraged that I should be able to get a full cash refund on a RT ORD-LHR trip for late May through persistence with UA agent when I call to cancel. Amex Plat is the original form of payment, and hence the form of refund, but does anyone know if can get Amex to issue a check for the large credit balance I will have on my CC account? I don't expect I would burn through the credit balance on that card anytime soon, as I place varying charges on specific cards to maximize points. In the current scenario I would utilize the cash refund to pay charges on Chase SR due to other travel expenditures.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 11:34 pm

Yes, I did it twice. Just use the chat feature on their website.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 10:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by Brostman
A derivative question to the cash refund thread...... So I am encouraged that I should be able to get a full cash refund on a RT ORD-LHR trip for late May through persistence with UA agent when I call to cancel. Amex Plat is the original form of payment, and hence the form of refund, but does anyone know if can get Amex to issue a check for the large credit balance I will have on my CC account? I don't expect I would burn through the credit balance on that card anytime soon, as I place varying charges on specific cards to maximize points. In the current scenario I would utilize the cash refund to pay charges on Chase SR due to other travel expenditures.
I'll be in the same situation when a full cruise refund is posted back to my platinum card. I rather for it to go to my Delta card. I'll be calling them as soon as the credit post.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 12:53 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by Brostman
Update to my post.... I did not see this thread before my post (oiriginally posted under a different thread) so apologize for asking a question already answered...... and as other have indicated, you can login into your AMEX account and "Open a Dispute" and then follow the steps for "Overpayment on Account" to request a refund be mailed to you if you want the cash back. Note that if the account has other charges, the overpayment/credit balance will be the net of the refunds posted net of any outstanding charges on the account.

Last edited by Brostman; Apr 9, 2020 at 12:54 pm Reason: grammar

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.