Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Amex waive annual fee due to Covid-19?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2020, 9:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cfischer
yeah, would be nice to see a rollback to the $450 fee for the year given the large amount of travel-related benefits that Amex is currently deciding to not provide.
I'm not sure they can provide these. How about the argument for lowering the fee since I can't spend as much on the card as I did before since stores are closed. Not sure that argument works either...
Old Apr 15, 2020, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by LondonElite

I'm not sure they can provide these. How about the argument for lowering the fee since I can't spend as much on the card as I did before since stores are closed. Not sure that argument works either...
The strongest argument, IMO, is for some sort of consideration for the airline credits if they turn out to be pretty much unusable for a significant part of the year (TBD) because the portion of the AF allocated in Amex’ budget for those refunds is otherwise pure profit for them.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 9:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
the portion of the AF allocated in Amex’ budget for those refunds is otherwise pure profit for them.
The increased portion of amounts owed to Amex by cardholders that they'll have to write off due to default is pure loss to them.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Steve M
The increased portion of amounts owed to Amex by cardholders that they'll have to write off due to default is pure loss to them.
I am not defaulting on any credit card bills. Don’t see a reason to “socialize” the losses if Amex issued credit to customers that were a greater risk than they thought.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 12:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Club Accor Silver, AC 75K
Originally Posted by LondonElite

If you have a Centurion card, why keep a separate Platinum?
The plat is for personal, the Cent is for business.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 3:52 pm

Programs: Independent
Has anyone had luck getting points / credit for a Platinum AF when they already got a (meager) retention bonus for the year? Lounges + points on flight purchases are critical to justifying the fee to me, and both are obviously down.
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 10:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Has anyone downgraded AU plat cards? I paid the $175 in Feb for three. The only reason I pay that is for them to have airline club access. With no access, I want to downgrade those to gold with no AF. Is this something I have to call about or any possibility of dealing with this in chat? Hate long hold times and calls in general.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I tried. And I failed. My card is a AMEX Platinum (personal).
Old Apr 17, 2020, 8:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Has anyone downgraded AU plat cards? I paid the $175 in Feb for three. The only reason I pay that is for them to have airline club access. With no access, I want to downgrade those to gold with no AF. Is this something I have to call about or any possibility of dealing with this in chat? Hate long hold times and calls in general.
I had to call Amex few times this week and the wait times were less than a minute.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 3:42 am

Programs: LH, BA, AA
I’ve a personal Plat. Amex non cobranded card issued in Europe. Received a letter a week or so ago, thought they will say waive annual fee for 1 yr., but I fell off my chair when the letter is about increase annual fee. I’ll be cancelling the card for sure !!
Old Apr 19, 2020, 6:14 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by LHSEN
I.... issued in Europe.
Which country?
Old Apr 19, 2020, 9:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Acid
I had to call Amex few times this week and the wait times were less than a minute.
I’m going to try chat. Since it’s not a retention request and just a downgrade on AU maybe I can achieve it that way.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 10:43 am

Programs: LH, BA, AA
Originally Posted by mia
Which country?
Switzerland
Old Apr 20, 2020, 11:30 am

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
(UK Platinum) Just received a "Backing you today and tomorrow" email from Amex. Mentions forthcoming "special moments you can enjoy from the comfort of your home", financial assistance if in difficulty, changes to customer service and help to local communities.

Doesn't mention any AF reduction...
Old Apr 20, 2020, 12:00 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by Tocsin
(UK Platinum) Just received a "Backing you today and tomorrow" email from Amex. Mentions forthcoming "special moments you can enjoy from the comfort of your home", financial assistance if in difficulty, changes to customer service and help to local communities.

Doesn't mention any AF reduction...
I had a Centurion version today, considering the situation has been going on months and will continue for months frankly I found it a waste of my time reading it and expected something of substance rather than a vague email trying to make out they will somehow keep value in the card regardless of the situation!
Stgermainparis likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.