Membership Rewards with Amazon promo

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2020, 2:29 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Membership Rewards with Amazon promo

I was setting up an order on Amazon, I planned to use my Amazon Gift $--but a box "popped up" noting that using MR for orders over $50 there would be a $20 "discount", so I activated the promo and placed the order. When browsing the receipt NOWHERE did I see a $20 discount. I called AMAZON, the deal has 3 conditions: (1)must be used by 3/31/20, (2)once 200,000 people use this promo it will expire and (3)the item must be purchased from Amazon, not a secondary vendor--I didn't see any of these conditions when I placed the order. This is "slightly" shady IMHO.
My order fails condition (3).
Followup: (3)is even more restrictive: the item MUST be sold by Amazon, even if prime and/or fulfilled by Amazon is NG.

Last edited by nrr; Feb 27, 2020 at 3:24 pm
Old Feb 27, 2020, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
You may have not read the offer, but that doesn’t make it shady. The Amazon/Amex deals are nothing new and being sold by Amazon has always been a condition.

Amazon Amazon

When a discount is being applied, Amazon will make it very obvious when calculating the total. Near the totals and tax, you will see a line item for the Amex Promo that reflects the discount amount. If you don’t see it, you’re not getting a discount. You’re always agreeing to be charged the amount shown when you click the Place Order button.
mhdena and FLTripper like this.

Last edited by javabytes; Feb 27, 2020 at 3:31 pm
Old Feb 27, 2020, 3:34 pm

Prior to completing the order, apply the minimum of $0.01 of membership reward points. Assuming the item you're tying to buy is eligible, you should see the $20 discount on the right side of the screen:
Old Feb 27, 2020, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Nothing unusual at all. These come and go throughout the year always with identical terms: https://slickdeals.net/f/13835927-am...oints-ymmv?v=1
Old Feb 28, 2020, 6:04 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I love these offers because you can spend 1 MR ($0.01) and pay the balance on the Amex and still get the $20 off (the MR redemption rate with Amazon is an awful use of points IMO). I've even had it work with 1 MR + amazon gift card balance (since you have to choose a backup payment method which I chose the Amex).
Old Feb 29, 2020, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Two things:

Item (s) must​​​ be sold and shipped by Amazon

I was given the minimum option of $1 MR co-pay which would have deducted 143 points; using a single MR point was not available.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nrr
I was setting up an order on Amazon, I planned to use my Amazon Gift $--but a box "popped up" noting that using MR for orders over $50 there would be a $20 "discount", so I activated the promo and placed the order. When browsing the receipt NOWHERE did I see a $20 discount.
I called AMAZON, the deal has 3 conditions: (1)must be used by 3/31/20, (2)once 200,000 people use this promo it will expire and (3)the item must be purchased from Amazon, not a secondary vendor--I didn't see any of these conditions when I placed the order. This is "slightly" shady IMHO.
My order fails condition (3).
Followup: (3)is even more restrictive: the item MUST be sold by Amazon, even if prime and/or fulfilled by Amazon is NG.
100% User Error.

If the purchase is eligible, i.e. SOLD and Shipped by Amazon, the $20 discount would automatically show up in the order details BEFORE you place the order.

The conditions are in the offer terms which you NEED to click open the details in order to see it. It is definitely there, with a clickable Terms and Conditions that you missed.

If you do not see the discount on the review page, you should know something is not working - that should prompt you enough to go read the offer conditions which are nothing new - been like that for ages.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 12:48 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Two things:

Item (s) must​​​ be sold and shipped by Amazon

I was given the minimum option of $1 MR co-pay which would have deducted 143 points; using a single MR point was not available.
The textfield is how many dollars you wish to apply points towards. If you edit it to say $0.01 then it deducts 1 MR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.