Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020-21)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: boboqui
Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline, then wait a day -- BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.

WARNING: Beginning in mid-January 2021 Travel Bank (and its former Gift Registry) purchases are coded as Gift Certificates rather than Special Service Tickets. Travel Bank purchases are no longer reimbursed.

In mid-February 2021 United again changed the processing of Travel Bank deposit transactions. They are coded as Special Service Tickets, and reimbursed by American Express, but no assurance this will continue. Purchase here: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash

Travel bank amounts that you can purchase are $50, $100, $250, or more (see screenshot in this post). There is no $200 amount so Platinum card holders with $200 credit will need to purchase 2 x $100.

If credit is not automatically issued (unlikely based on data points), do not contact Amex customer service as it might lead them to close the loophole.

See also this thread in the United Airliines forum on TravelBank: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...get-bonus.html

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
A general discussion of Travel Bank is in a separate thread .

Discussion continues here: Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020-21)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2021, 12:18 pm

AmEx Plat:
I did two $100 TB charges in Nov 2020, got credited back right away
I did two $100 TB charges in Jan 2021, no credits back

I tried chatting with support, they said that the Nov credits were a one time exception and I wouldn't be able to do it again.
I tried calling support and they were happy to credit my account back.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
April 16, 2021

2x$100 with AMEX Platinum. Shows up as "United Electronic Ticketing" under pending transactions.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA
2x$100 AMEX Plat, 1x$100 AMEX Gold -- credited right away in early April 2021.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Ronzer
AmEx Plat:

I tried chatting with support, they said that the Nov credits were a one time exception and I wouldn't be able to do it again.
Sigh. Folks calling these things in will make this go away. So sad.
SPN Lifer, sdsearch, jsn55 and 9 others like this.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 10:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
Sigh. Folks calling these things in will make this go away. So sad.
They obviously weren't following this thread to see that there was a period of a few weeks beginning mid-January when UA TB purchases weren't being refunded. OP probably made their purchase precisely during that time. They should not have chatted AND called to potentially ruin it for the rest of us....
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 6:38 am
kyh

Originally Posted by Ronzer
AmEx Plat:

Thanks for ruining it.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 7:04 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Please write about American Express products, policies and practices, not about each other. If you disapprove of a member's decision to contact American Express, focus on the action, and do not disparage the individual.
SPN Lifer and imnotalawyer like this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsquare
April 16, 2021

2x$100 with AMEX Platinum. Shows up as "United Electronic Ticketing" under pending transactions.
April 18, 2021

The transactions now changed to "United Airlines Houston TX". The meter has not moved yet.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA PPro, QF Gold, DL Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum
Hilton Aspire:
  • 4/12 - $250 charged for UA TB
  • 4/14 - Reimbursed/Credited
SPN Lifer and GiraffeGlove like this.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

April 16, 2021

April 18, 2021

The transactions now changed to "United Airlines Houston TX". The meter has not moved yet.
April 19, 2021

The credits posted as "AMEX Airline Fee Reimbursement". They were backdated to April 18, 2021. The meter moved.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 10:06 am

4/15 $100 purchase on Gold card
4/18 reimbursement posts (no more meter)

Going to try to change Plat to UA now and deposit $200
Old Apr 20, 2021, 10:28 am

Topped up 2x $100 on 15th April.
Fully reimbursed on 19th April

This worked for vanilla plat, schwab plat and ameriprise plat
Old Apr 20, 2021, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Any DP's of this working for a recently new Biz Plat? Mention of the airline credit isn't on the application page anymore, but it's still in the T&C's and the meter still shows up under the benefits page.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by hootyhoo
Any DP's of this working for a recently new Biz Plat? Mention of the airline credit isn't on the application page anymore, but it's still in the T&C's and the meter still shows up under the benefits page.
I'll let you know next week. I was able to select UA as my airline today and card arrives at the end of the week. I don't see any issues.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
Originally Posted by hootyhoo
Not sure if this is recent enough, but I got my card in January. I made the purchases in late February and the credits posted 3 days after the charges posted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.