Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020-21)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: boboqui
Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline, then wait a day -- BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.

WARNING: Beginning in mid-January 2021 Travel Bank (and its former Gift Registry) purchases are coded as Gift Certificates rather than Special Service Tickets. Travel Bank purchases are no longer reimbursed.

In mid-February 2021 United again changed the processing of Travel Bank deposit transactions. They are coded as Special Service Tickets, and reimbursed by American Express, but no assurance this will continue. Purchase here: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash

Travel bank amounts that you can purchase are $50, $100, $250, or more (see screenshot in this post). There is no $200 amount so Platinum card holders with $200 credit will need to purchase 2 x $100.

If credit is not automatically issued (unlikely based on data points), do not contact Amex customer service as it might lead them to close the loophole.

See also this thread in the United Airliines forum on TravelBank: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...get-bonus.html

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
A general discussion of Travel Bank is in a separate thread .

Discussion continues here: Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020-21)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:51 pm

Booked united award flight with $16 in tax for 3 people. Charge posted 2 days and no credited.

I have to book another international award on united.com that has $320 in tax and fees. Looks like it won't be credited.

What a terrible thing this airline credit has become. zero ways to take advantage of this
Old Jan 9, 2020, 4:33 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by Sherab Sherab
What a terrible thing this airline credit has become. zero ways to take advantage of this
Plenty of ways, it's just a matter of whether they align with your needs
mia, sdsearch and GTITAN like this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 12:35 pm

DP: Bought 4 Economy Plus seats on Tuesday through the "travel bundles" section, not the seat selector. Coded as "Packages" and indicator is showing that I will get reimbursed. Interestingly, buying through this section was about $5 cheaper per seat than selecting individually in the seat selector.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy occasionally Bonvoyed Mostly
Hi all,
apologies if this is a bit off topic but do wifi purchases charged to the Platinum earn 5x points or is that just 1x ?
Old Jan 9, 2020, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by moe8555
Plenty of ways, it's just a matter of whether they align with your needs
Like booking full cash fare paid in full regardless of the fare amount with the aspire?

bag fees/award change fees?

Wish it works on award taxes and fees.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 8:40 pm

United Club annual pass

Has anyone had success with getting more than one day pass credited to the cost of an annual pass?
Old Jan 9, 2020, 9:33 pm

Like booking full cash fare paid in full regardless of the fare amount with the aspire?

If you read upthread, you'll find even better solutions to your problems. Woof!
GTITAN likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 9:51 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Bonvoy something
DP for something I didn't see in the Wiki

Purchased FareLock on 1/6 and credit received on 1/9
arshi007 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by MBA_Bill
DP

Purchased a $99 Economy+ seat on 1/6/2020. I will report back soon on what happens.
Reimbursed 1/9
Old Jan 10, 2020, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy occasionally Bonvoyed Mostly
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Grapenut
DP for something I didn't see in the Wiki

Purchased FareLock on 1/6 and credit received on 1/9
Thanks for that DP, although this is not an expense that is suitable to cover the whole credit, its still useful to know as i do purchase farelock, especially for work travel every couple of times a year.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Of those, bag fees only, I think. (But if someone happens always travel carry-on only, like I do, then those don't help either.)

But also paying for Economy+ extra legroom seats (obviously only available on coach bookings, whether paid or award).

And also lounge passes (if you don't get enough of them from a Chase United card).

So a variety of things can work, but each individual thing that can work isn't practical for certain people.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Of those, bag fees only, I think. (But if someone happens always travel carry-on only, like I do, then those don't help either.)

But also paying for Economy+ extra legroom seats (obviously only available on coach bookings, whether paid or award).

And also lounge passes (if you don't get enough of them from a Chase United card).

So a variety of things can work, but each individual thing that can work isn't practical for certain people.
No credit if I book flight on United that is paid in full by Aspire?
Old Jan 11, 2020, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by red grenadine
So it seems that going forward the easiest way to use this credit is the following:

1. Book a fully refundable round trip ticket months out in advance
2. Add an animal to the flights, triggering $125x2 in pet fees
3. Get $200 reimbursement
4. Cancel entire flight, getting back flight cost + $250 in pet fees in one lump sum

Is this correct?
Have you (or anyone else) successfully tried this yet and was able to keep the credit after the refund? Also to confirm.. should I be using my Amex to book the flight itself, or use a different card? (previous posts in 2019 indicated booking the flight itself with a non-amex card...)
Old Jan 12, 2020, 4:51 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
No credit if I book flight on United that is paid in full by Aspire?
Do you see any reports that lead you to believe that this would work? The rules exclude airfare from reimbursement. The only time airfare is reimbursed is if the American Express system mistakes a ticket purchase for a fee.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 7:04 am

Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by ameskay
Have you (or anyone else) successfully tried this yet and was able to keep the credit after the refund? Also to confirm.. should I be using my Amex to book the flight itself, or use a different card? (previous posts in 2019 indicated booking the flight itself with a non-amex card...)
I have been doing this but I think this is dead now.

I used to book the flight with my CSR, add a pet and pay with my Platinum. When cancelling, it used to say that the whole amount would be refunded to my CSR. My guess is that this issue confused the system so that the pet fee refund never posted to my Platinum allowing enough time for the Amex statement credit to post. When I did this yesterday it said X amount would go into my CSR and Y amount to my Platinum. I think the pet fee will never post.

Will update in a couple days.
ameskay likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.