Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020-21)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: boboqui
Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline, then wait a day -- BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.

WARNING: Beginning in mid-January 2021 Travel Bank (and its former Gift Registry) purchases are coded as Gift Certificates rather than Special Service Tickets. Travel Bank purchases are no longer reimbursed.

In mid-February 2021 United again changed the processing of Travel Bank deposit transactions. They are coded as Special Service Tickets, and reimbursed by American Express, but no assurance this will continue. Purchase here: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash

Travel bank amounts that you can purchase are $50, $100, $250, or more (see screenshot in this post). There is no $200 amount so Platinum card holders with $200 credit will need to purchase 2 x $100.

If credit is not automatically issued (unlikely based on data points), do not contact Amex customer service as it might lead them to close the loophole.

See also this thread in the United Airliines forum on TravelBank: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...get-bonus.html

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
A general discussion of Travel Bank is in a separate thread .

Discussion continues here: Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020-21)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2020, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
DP: attempting today with an itinerary for my Platinum. Will report back to see if it is successful. If so, will be doing the same on my Gold.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by moops380
Worked for me 2x in the past week. United is very lenient on pet things these days...
DP 1X past two weeks.

Safe Travels
Old Jan 19, 2020, 1:34 pm

Apologies if this should be in the United MileagePlus forum instead, but has anyone else had issues with the web interface for adding a pet itinerary? I had to call into the United customer service line and do it via my confirmation number.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by MDBechara
Apologies if this should be in the United MileagePlus forum instead, but has anyone else had issues with the web interface for adding a pet itinerary? I had to call into the United customer service line and do it via my confirmation number.
Yes. I couldn’t do it on the website a year or 2 ago due to having selected an exit row seat; the website did not give the reason, just wouldn’t do it. Called, phone rep told me the reason, changed my seat and booked the pet fee. It may be that pets are not allowed for other seats (? bulkhead) and the number of pets per flight and per cabin (First, Economy) is limited. Perhaps the website simply will not allow a pet fee to be booked when such a seat has previously been selected or cabin pets maxed out, without giving the reason. More recently, after selecting non-exit row and non-bulkhead seats, I’ve not had any problems booking pet fee on-line.

Last edited by Dr Jabadski; Jan 23, 2020 at 7:24 pm
Old Jan 20, 2020, 9:06 pm

I am flying on my mother's buddy pass since she works for the airlines.

I am thinking of buying the 1st class ticket option which costs around $60 more. Normal ticket is around $72.

Do you think this will be reimbursed?? Should I buy the $72 ticket first, and then upgrade?

Thanks for the advice!
Old Jan 21, 2020, 11:43 am

Programs: UA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy occasionally Bonvoyed Mostly
Originally Posted by moops380
Worked for me 2x in the past week. United is very lenient on pet things these days...
Just so that i understand, does the pet fee refund post back to AmEx eventually or does it get refunded to the card on which you purchased the ticket ?
Old Jan 21, 2020, 7:49 pm

Award taxes of 2x $20.80 posted 1/2, no reimbursement
Old Jan 22, 2020, 9:18 am

Pleasantly surprised that a $36.91 balance left over after paying for part of a flight with leftover Travelbank (RIP) money was reimbursed.

1/16 - Purchased a $183.40 ticket through United using $146.49 in Travelbank money and $36.91 balance charged to Amex Plat
1/17 - $36.91 transaction posted to Amex Plat
1/19 - Received $36.91 credit reimbursement
akr1970akr and pceng like this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by bearchemist
Booked an international award ticket and used Amex personal Plat to pay the $34 ticketing fee/tax. Charge posted as "United Airlines Houston TX" and was reimbursed(!) 3 days afterward. Did not expect this at all, so a pleasant surprise in January.
Purchased two reward flights on my Amerx Plat. UNITED AIRLINES HOUSTON TX posted on Jan 16. So far no reimbursement.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by kwontas
Purchased 4 UA lounge passes on 12/31 on AMEX Platinum and a UA Economy + subscription for spouse + one additional passenger with the Hilton AMEX. Both reimbursed fully for 2019 on Jan 3. Still see the full 2020 amount for both cards.

This year, I am going to try to purchase the Economy Plus subscription for one person only and apply one AMEX reimbursement, wait, then modify the subscription by adding the extra person and paying with the other AMEX reimbursement card and see if this works. We always get the subscriber plus one so I have nothing to lose.

Did you find out if this was true yet?
Old Jan 23, 2020, 6:45 am

Update:

Pet fee charge posted 1/19.

Credits posted 1/22.
miles4CDG likes this.

Last edited by MDBechara; Jan 23, 2020 at 7:05 am Reason: Edited for clarity on charge type
Old Jan 23, 2020, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy occasionally Bonvoyed Mostly
Update:

Credits posted 1/22.
Did you cancel the ticket after you added the pet fee ?
Old Jan 23, 2020, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by arshi007
Yup. Currently waiting on refund, will post reply with results. Repeated same steps with my Gold as well, but need to wait for that to post.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 6:56 pm

Update:

Credits posted 1/22.
Did you buy fully refundable ticket ? is that the economy (flexible) fare for US domestic flights ?
Old Jan 23, 2020, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Just so that i understand, does the pet fee refund post back to AmEx eventually or does it get refunded to the card on which you purchased the ticket ?
I’ve only done UA pet fee for reservations which I plan to fly (vice cancelling). My UA profile has several credit cards, I use one (UA Explorer, Sapphire) to pay for the ticket and after ticketing use another (AmEx Plat, AmEx Hilton Aspire) for 2 pet fees ($125 each direction). Airline fee credits usually post 2-3 days after the pet fees post. Sometime thereafter I cancel the pet fee which gets credited back to the card used to pay for the pet fee. AmEx has never clawed back the airline fee credit (although I would not be surprised if they did).

Your profile arshi007 states “UA Platinum”. Presumably you fly a bit on UA, if you’re going to do the pet fee thing, you should do it for a reservation you intend to fly. If you like exit row seats, be aware that once refunded by UA the pet fee may remain on your reservation in some fashion thus precluding you from choosing exit row seats on-line. For that reason, I usually ask for exit row seats during the same conversation in which I cancel the pet fee, UA phone reps have been happy to assist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.