Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020-21)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: boboqui
Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline, then wait a day -- BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.

WARNING: Beginning in mid-January 2021 Travel Bank (and its former Gift Registry) purchases are coded as Gift Certificates rather than Special Service Tickets. Travel Bank purchases are no longer reimbursed.

In mid-February 2021 United again changed the processing of Travel Bank deposit transactions. They are coded as Special Service Tickets, and reimbursed by American Express, but no assurance this will continue. Purchase here: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash

Travel bank amounts that you can purchase are $50, $100, $250, or more (see screenshot in this post). There is no $200 amount so Platinum card holders with $200 credit will need to purchase 2 x $100.

If credit is not automatically issued (unlikely based on data points), do not contact Amex customer service as it might lead them to close the loophole.

See also this thread in the United Airliines forum on TravelBank: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...get-bonus.html

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
A general discussion of Travel Bank is in a separate thread .

Discussion continues here: Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020-21)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2020, 10:06 pm

What did your charge show up like on the amex statement ?
Old Oct 2, 2020, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by BuonaDomenica
09/19 - $100 transactions for Amex Platinum and the United Travel Bank credited instantly with 500 bonus award miles for $100 purchase
09/22 - $100 Credit Posted - Meter moved in the 'Benefits' section

09/23 - another $100 transactions for Amex Platinum and the United Travel Bank credited instantly with 500 bonus award miles for $100 purchase
09/26 - $100 Credit posted for Amex Platinum - meter moved showing that I have used all of my airline fee credit for the year

Old Oct 3, 2020, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by watgetmemoney
UNITED AIRLINES HOUSTON TX
In the details it says:special service ticket

Flight from CHICAGO O'HARE INT on September 23
CHICAGO O'HARE INT CHICAGO O'HARE INT
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 6:05 pm

Programs: WOH Globalist | IHG Platinum | HH Gold | MB Gold
Purchased $100 with Platinum on 9/29. Meter moved on 10/3. Not credit in statement yet though.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 1:19 pm

Trying to figure out the best way to use my credits for E+ upgrades.

I have $728 worth of credits spread out over four cards (Gold, Platinum, P2 Platinum, Aspire), and I want to use them for $722 worth of E+ upgrades for three roundtrip tickets on two reservations.

I planned on putting the credits into the Travel Bank using the pinned link, but when I went through the E+ upgrade process to check the checkout page, I don't see an option to use Travel Bank funds, unless that's the same thing as "Electronic Certificates"?

Otherwise, could I call United and have them split the charges among different cards on the phone?
Thanks.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by akober220
Trying to figure out the best way to use my credits for E+ upgrades.

I have $728 worth of credits spread out over four cards (Gold, Platinum, P2 Platinum, Aspire), and I want to use them for $722 worth of E+ upgrades for three roundtrip tickets on two reservations.

I planned on putting the credits into the Travel Bank using the pinned link, but when I went through the E+ upgrade process to check the checkout page, I don't see an option to use Travel Bank funds, unless that's the same thing as "Electronic Certificates"?

Otherwise, could I call United and have them split the charges among different cards on the phone?
Thanks.
One thought - you could do an E+ subscription instead. So if we assume your $722 of E+ upgrades are for 2 people, and include flights outside the continental US, you could:

1. Buy a 1-person CONUS E+ subscription (something like $599 or so) on one card

2. Upgrade the subscription to a 2-person subscription (pay incremental charge) on another card

3. Upgrade the subscription to either North America or worldwide (and pay incremental) on another card

The total cost would be more than the $722 you mentioned, but if you can use the subscription over the next year, it might be more useful. I can confirm #1 triggers a credit (at least it did earlier this year), but sure about #2/#3 but I would assume so.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by gr2020
One thought - you could do an E+ subscription instead. So if we assume your $722 of E+ upgrades are for 2 people, and include flights outside the continental US, you could:

1. Buy a 1-person CONUS E+ subscription (something like $599 or so) on one card

2. Upgrade the subscription to a 2-person subscription (pay incremental charge) on another card

3. Upgrade the subscription to either North America or worldwide (and pay incremental) on another card

The total cost would be more than the $722 you mentioned, but if you can use the subscription over the next year, it might be more useful. I can confirm 1 triggers a credit (at least it did earlier this year), but sure about #2/#3 but I would assume so.
Thanks, that's an interesting idea. But I'm almost certain I won't get enough value out of it next year to make it worthwhile considering the added out of pocket. But I appreciate the creative thinking!
Old Oct 7, 2020, 10:16 pm

DP: Gift Registry - Purchased $250 with Aspire, 2x $100 with Platinum Personal, and $100 on Wife's Gold. All 3 reimbursed on Oct. 10th
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by y0shiy0shi; Oct 11, 2020 at 5:02 pm
Old Oct 8, 2020, 8:35 am

Programs: Delta
Sorry, searched everywhere , couldn't find the answer.
Does anyone know if the Amex Reimbursement will kick in for UNITED AIRLINES - If you use it to purchase "Priority Boarding" ..
I bought an Economy ticket and purchased the "bundle package" like an idiot .to be able to select seats and be able to carry on 1 bag (they wanted 25 buck for that)---
but did the transaction all together - so now the Amex airline reimbursement wont kick in....

But United now is emailing me for my upcoming flight that I can choose to pay $15 for Priority Boarding - which allows me not to line up and board right after the Mileage Plus Premier members. is that something anybody else has used in the past and gotten credit for ?

Old Oct 8, 2020, 9:18 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by superpishi
Sorry, searched everywhere , couldn't find the answer.
Does anyone know if the Amex Reimbursement will kick in for UNITED AIRLINES - If you use it to purchase "Priority Boarding" ..
I bought an Economy ticket and purchased the "bundle package" like an idiot .to be able to select seats and be able to carry on 1 bag (they wanted 25 buck for that)---
but did the transaction all together - so now the Amex airline reimbursement wont kick in....

But United now is emailing me for my upcoming flight that I can choose to pay $15 for Priority Boarding - which allows me not to line up and board right after the Mileage Plus Premier members. is that something anybody else has used in the past and gotten credit for ?

There are threads specific to each airline for tracking what does/does not qualify for the airline fee credit. Here's the UA thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ly-2020-a.html

I'm not personally familiar with using it on UA, but a search of that thread for "priority boarding" returns two positive results so I think you are good to go!

[edit: previous post and my reply were moved in from another thread ]
superpishi likes this.

Last edited by Zorak; Oct 8, 2020 at 9:26 am
Old Oct 8, 2020, 11:21 am

I placed an order with United TravelBank about 30 mins ago. Right after placing the order, I realized I had changed my airline last year to Alaska. So I went online and changed it to United. About 15 minutes passed from the purchase to the change. Do you think the credit will apply? The United charges are still pending ($100 x 2), but also when I go online the airline selected still shows Alaska even though I requested the change via chat to United. Appreciat eany advice.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 9:22 am

AMEX Aspire data point:

9/29/20 - Switched to United via phone
9/30/20 - Purchased $250 Travel Bank deposit
10/05/20 - $250 credit posted
cuthroat and usandukmiles like this.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 9:31 am

Credited

Purchase 8 Oct
Posted 10 Oct
Meter Moved 11 Oct
Credit 12 Oct

$50 on Hilton Aspire - Travel Bank purchase

Just purchased additional 2x$100
cuthroat and BabyHugoPharrell like this.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 4:50 pm

Programs: Chase and American Express
used the travelbank to purchase 250 on 10/10 and got $200 airline fee reimbursement 2 days later for business platinum
Old Oct 16, 2020, 1:33 pm

Re;Travelbank

How did you do the purchase? online and rep have both said it was over 10/1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.