Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (Southwest) only (2020-21)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Many commonly asked questions are answered in this post.

Reminder: You must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, although several DPs show it works without waiting that long.

(Posters often refer to Southwest as WN which is its IATA code. The code SW is assigned to Air Namibia.)
As of late July 2019, direct gift card purchases are no longer reimbursed.
  • What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $109, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $109. Given Amex's recent behavior in other areas, some feel there is real risk that Amex will decide to claw back this type of reimbursement someday.
  • If you buy a ticket where you use travel funds to reduce the total charge to your Amex below $109, it will be reimbursed.
  • Fees can be reimbursed for any traveler. The name doesn't matter as long as the charge is on your American Express or that of an authorized cardholder.n
  • As of 1/1/22 Gold card accounts do not qualify for airline credit.
Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

To read discussion from 2011-2019, click HERE
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (Southwest) only (2020-21)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2021, 1:39 pm

Hoping to solicit some advice on a WN fee reimbursement before outreaching AmEx. Changed my airline from UA to WN via online chat on 1/29. Perhaps this is where I erred, but I bought a $98.97 ticket about 30 mins later (after confirming online that WN was listed as my chosen airline. The reimbursement hasn't posted, but a later tkt purchased ($49.98) was credited back two days later, like most people's experience.

Should I wait until the Amex-stated 6 weeks after transaction date to call (or online chat them?). Anything to say to boost my odds? Ticket is for travel on 3/12 (I actually thought I would be using it!), but now need to cancel, although am holding off for now. Thanks!
Old Feb 27, 2021, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by I_Heart_PSA
Hoping to solicit some advice on a WN fee reimbursement before outreaching AmEx. Changed my airline from UA to WN via online chat on 1/29. Perhaps this is where I erred, but I bought a $98.97 ticket about 30 mins later (after confirming online that WN was listed as my chosen airline. The reimbursement hasn't posted, but a later tkt purchased ($49.98) was credited back two days later, like most people's experience.

Should I wait until the Amex-stated 6 weeks after transaction date to call (or online chat them?). Anything to say to boost my odds? Ticket is for travel on 3/12 (I actually thought I would be using it!), but now need to cancel, although am holding off for now. Thanks!
And say what? "You guys didn't credit me for the ticket I bought that isn't supposed to be credited but is usually credited"?
Old Feb 27, 2021, 2:16 pm

This is the exact epitome of absurd greed that kills good things for everyone. This is not an official approved way to get reimbursement, so you have ZERO grounds if it doesn't credit. If it doesn't, ACCEPT IT AND MOVE ON. Do NOT call, email, anything. Just keep quiet.
IndyHoosier and GundamWing01 like this.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 2:54 pm

the $98.97 wasn't credited likely bc the purch made too soon after a change
Old Feb 27, 2021, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by antonius66
This is the exact epitome of absurd greed that kills good things for everyone. This is not an official approved way to get reimbursement, so you have ZERO grounds if it doesn't credit. If it doesn't, ACCEPT IT AND MOVE ON. Do NOT call, email, anything. Just keep quiet.
Absurd greed??? And the 64 pages of data points from people confirming that their ticket purchases credited in a couple days differ in what way, exactly?

You obviously have a low opinion of fellow FTers - especially this one, whose been around since 2009 - if you think I would be stupid enough to call AmEx and say “heyuh, why ain’t you payin’ me back fer sumpthin’ I shouldn’t be paid back fer?” My acknowledgement that making a booking soon after changing airlines shoulda been a context clue that this ain’t my first rodeo.

You could’ve answered with something like “Sorry, what happens in the AmEx reimbursement forum stays in the AmEx reimbursement forum,” but then again, witty and clever doesn’t seem to be in your arsenal...
MaxVO likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 6:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
WN as selected airline carried over from 2020 on both Gold and Plat. $99 tix (x3) purchased 2/23, credit posted 2/27.

Question: I’m an AU on my father’s Gold. If he selects WN and I make the purchase with my AU account, will the credit go on my statement? Basically just want to know if a) AU purchases count and b) if I’ll see the credit.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 6:40 pm

Absurd greed??? And the 64 pages of data points from people confirming that their ticket purchases credited in a couple days differ in what way, exactly?

You obviously have a low opinion of fellow FTers - especially this one, whose been around since 2009 - if you think I would be stupid enough to call AmEx and say “heyuh, why ain’t you payin’ me back fer sumpthin’ I shouldn’t be paid back fer?” My acknowledgement that making a booking soon after changing airlines shoulda been a context clue that this ain’t my first rodeo.

You could’ve answered with something like “Sorry, what happens in the AmEx reimbursement forum stays in the AmEx reimbursement forum,” but then again, witty and clever doesn’t seem to be in your arsenal...

​​​​​​​In your first message, you said "when should I call/chat?" That literally means you were going to call/chat if you didn't receive your credit. So yes, your response shows that you were going to inform Amex of this loophole. For the record, you need to wait a few days after switching to WN before you purchase for thecredit to register. Don't ruin it for other people.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 8:32 pm

We may have a new low! 2/28 purchased an award flight one way using $5.02 travel funds, charge $0.58 to aspire card was was credited $0.58 on 3/2
levilevi likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by sboardclark
​​​​​​​In your first message, you said "when should I call/chat?" That literally means you were going to call/chat if you didn't receive your credit. So yes, your response shows that you were going to inform Amex of this loophole. For the record, you need to wait a few days after switching to WN before you purchase for thecredit to register. Don't ruin it for other people.
tl/dr take the loss and move on?
Old Mar 4, 2021, 5:21 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
On February 28, I booked flights on Southwest for $98, $98, and $52 on my AMEX Hilton Aspire card.

The three flight purchases were reimbursed on March 3.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 10:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I’ve got four flights booked that I won’t fly. I can cancel or change the flights to other speculative ones later. I vaguely remember that one of these ways limited the amount of times one could change the flight but I can’t remember which way was more restrictive. Do any of you remember?

Ideally, I’d like to cancel and use travel funds when needed (and be able to repeatedly cancel if needed bc things are so crazy right now).
Old Mar 7, 2021, 10:41 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I’ve got four flights booked that I won’t fly. I can cancel or change the flights to other speculative ones later. I vaguely remember that one of these ways limited the amount of times one could change the flight but I can’t remember which way was more restrictive. Do any of you remember? Ideally, I’d like to cancel and use travel funds when needed (and be able to repeatedly cancel if needed bc things are so crazy right now).
The key is to avoid combining different purchase dates on a new PNR. New tickets inherit the earliest date; if they are all the same approximate date, not a problem.

Since WN limits ticket purchases to three payments, you may wish to combine the four old PNRs into two new dummy ones, so that you don't exceed the limitation of three for the final large ticket purchase.
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 9:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select
I don't think it matters if you cancel or change the flight since you only have ONE YEAR from the original date of issue to use your ticket/funds. But keep in mind Tanic's points above.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic
The key is to avoid combining different purchase dates on a new PNR. New tickets inherit the earliest date; if they are all the same approximate date, not a problem.

Since WN limits ticket purchases to three payments, you may wish to combine the four old PNRs into two new dummy ones, so that you don't exceed the limitation of three for the final large ticket purchase.
Brilliant. Thx

Originally Posted by lasnowgirl
I don't think it matters if you cancel or change the flight since you only have ONE YEAR from the original date of issue to use your ticket/funds. But keep in mind Tanic's points above.
A couple of years ago, you were limited to one change for either changing or travel funding it. I just can’t remember which one. And yes that is correct that the funds expire one year from purchase date.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 10:58 am

I think I messed this one up and may cost myself $94. Last week, I booked two one ways at $104.98 and $93.98. Realizing the former might be too high for reimbursement, I canceled it and booked an earlier flight for $93.98. The refund from southwest for $104.98 came through a day later.

Logged into Amex this morning and saw three airline reimbursements for $104.98, $93.98, and $1.04. The reimbursement for $104.98 will surely be clawed back and the meter not reset, right? Obviously not going to call in about this one...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.