Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (Southwest) only (2020-21)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Many commonly asked questions are answered in this post.

Reminder: You must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, although several DPs show it works without waiting that long.

(Posters often refer to Southwest as WN which is its IATA code. The code SW is assigned to Air Namibia.)
As of late July 2019, direct gift card purchases are no longer reimbursed.
  • What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $109, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $109. Given Amex's recent behavior in other areas, some feel there is real risk that Amex will decide to claw back this type of reimbursement someday.
  • If you buy a ticket where you use travel funds to reduce the total charge to your Amex below $109, it will be reimbursed.
  • Fees can be reimbursed for any traveler. The name doesn't matter as long as the charge is on your American Express or that of an authorized cardholder.n
  • As of 1/1/22 Gold card accounts do not qualify for airline credit.
Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

To read discussion from 2011-2019, click HERE
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (Southwest) only (2020-21)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2020, 9:35 am

Are there any dp of success in combining travel funds and them charging the remaining amount of the fare (less than $100 ) for a flight and being reimbursed?
Old Nov 13, 2020, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Beachchaser
Are there any dp of success in combining travel funds and them charging the remaining amount of the fare (less than $100 ) for a flight and being reimbursed?
Yes, e.g. see Post 448.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 6:07 pm

11/15 Purchased one way ticket for 83.98
11/16 Fee reimbursed and meter moved

Cancelling flight for travel funds
Old Nov 18, 2020, 6:31 am

I purchased two separate $99 flights on Monday and my charges just posted this morning. If you click on the charge, it has all of the flight information on it. Is this normal?
Old Nov 19, 2020, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by sgilde
I purchased two separate $99 flights on Monday and my charges just posted this morning. If you click on the charge, it has all of the flight information on it. Is this normal?
Did the credit post yet? I signed up for the Plat on 11/17, received it yesterday 11/18 and selected Southwest as my preferred airline. Hoping to make at least one of the flight purchases >$109 today and wait for the credit, then make my second one once I confirm that the credit posts

Last edited by maustro; Nov 19, 2020 at 10:18 am
Old Nov 19, 2020, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by maustro
Did the credit post yet? I signed up for the Plat on 11/17, received it yesterday 11/18 and selected Southwest as my preferred airline. Hoping to make at least one of the flight purchases >$109 today and wait for the credit, then make my second one once I confirm that the credit posts
Yes! Just this morning. Purchased tickets on 11/16, cancelled the flights to go to TF a few minutes later after purchasing, travel credit posted 11/19.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 10:35 am

Yes! Just this morning. Purchased tickets on 11/16, cancelled the flights to go to TF a few minutes later after purchasing, travel credit posted 11/19.
Oh, you didn't wait >24 hours then? The previous DP says to wait 24 hours then cancel for TF otherwise it could possibly be refunded back to your CC. I guess it doesn't really matter since the travel credit takes a couple of days anyway.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 10:39 am

Oh, you didn't wait >24 hours then? The previous DP says to wait 24 hours then cancel for TF otherwise it could possibly be refunded back to your CC. I guess it doesn't really matter since the travel credit takes a couple of days anyway.
No, it was an immediate option when I cancelled. I could either have it refunded to my CC or I could take the travel funds.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 10:59 am

No, it was an immediate option when I cancelled. I could either have it refunded to my CC or I could take the travel funds.
I just made two purchases, $95 & $99. I see pending charges. Think I should wait for charges to post or go ahead with cancellation?
Old Nov 19, 2020, 11:03 am

Do your TF also expire in 11/2021? I read somewhere it would be extended to 9/2022 but maybe that was for earlier bookings?

I just booked 2x $99, cancelled both, rebooked a third one with both TF so I can combine them into a single reservation. TF are stored on my account, hopefully this goes without a hitch. I selected SW on my AMEX portal yesterday and they say you should wait a few hours -> a day to be safe, since someone mentioned they booked 5 min after selected SW and didn't get the credit.

In 2021 I'll do the same booking under my wife's SW account, barring any issues with this workaround. I don't see any glaring issues with this, but please someone correct me if I have it wrong. We'll both have $200 TF (my current booking/cancellation + hers when the AMEX credit resets in 2021). With this plus all the other credits, the card would have paid itself off. Will need to justify keeping it during next renewal.

Last edited by maustro; Nov 19, 2020 at 11:12 am
Old Nov 19, 2020, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by chuckselegy
I just made two purchases, $95 & $99. I see pending charges. Think I should wait for charges to post or go ahead with cancellation?
I didn't wait until they posted and everything worked. I made one $99 purchase, cancelled for TF about five minutes later. Booked the same $99 flight, same thing-cancelled immediately and took the TF. Since its just going to your southwest account and not back to your CC, there isn't an issue. Not in my experience, anyway,
Old Nov 19, 2020, 11:20 am

Do your TF also expire in 11/2021? I read somewhere it would be extended to 9/2022 but maybe that was for earlier bookings?

I just booked 2x $99, cancelled both, rebooked a third one with both TF so I can combine them into a single reservation. TF are stored on my account, hopefully this goes without a hitch. I selected SW on my AMEX portal yesterday and they say you should wait a few hours -> a day to be safe, since someone mentioned they booked 5 min after selected SW and didn't get the credit.

In 2021 I'll do the same booking under my wife's SW account, barring any issues with this workaround. I don't see any glaring issues with this, but please someone correct me if I have it wrong. We'll both have $200 TF (my current booking/cancellation + hers when the AMEX credit resets in 2021). With this plus all the other credits, the card would have paid itself off. Will need to justify keeping it during next renewal.
Yes, mine expire 11/21 but we will be booking Southwest tickets as soon as summer fares are available. I selected Southwest on the portal on Sunday and purchased Monday because of the same DPs that I read. I will be doing the same thing in January. I have enough SW points to cover my wife and I but will need to use the TF to cover our 2yo. I agree with you, this makes the card pay for itself with the other credits. Hopefully they make this more streamlined so we dont have to sneak around to do it.
maustro likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by chuckselegy
In present context, you want to credit your refund to "Travel Funds". If that option is available immediately, you don't need to wait 24 hrs. Just don't request "Refund to original payment method".
Old Nov 19, 2020, 4:55 pm

Hi, I opened a gold card in October this year. Here's my DP:

11/13 late night: selected southwest
11/13 late night: purchased $97.96 ticket right after airline selection ($97.96 was pending and finished processing on 11/15 or 11/16, but the posted date shows as 11/13)

I still haven't got credit and the airline meter didn't move. Is it because I didn't wait for at least 24h to purchase a ticket so I wouldn't get reimbursed? I can see my flight info and ticket number under this transaction on AMEX. Is it normal?

Hope someone can help. I appreciate it.

Last edited by sherryocd; Nov 19, 2020 at 5:14 pm
Old Nov 19, 2020, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sherryocd
I still haven't got credit and the airline meter didn't move. Is it because I didn't wait for at least 24h to purchase a ticket so I wouldn't get reimbursed? I can see my flight info and ticket number under this transaction on AMEX. Is it normal?
Best practice is to wait at least until the next day to make a purchase after selecting the airline. So that might be your issue. The flight info and number is completely normal. US airlines generally share all the underlying data with card issuers (this is generally called Level 3 data).
sherryocd likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.