Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What counts as Travel for USA personal Green card?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2019, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
What counts as Travel for USA personal Green card?

What are people's thoughts on whether Airbnb or VRBO will count as "travel" for 3x points?
Old Oct 29, 2019, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by eneq
What are people's thoughts on whether Airbnb or VRBO will count as "travel" for 3x points?
I would like to know too. Could use a few dps!
Old Oct 29, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
AMEX in their promotion page for the Green card mentions using your card for AirBnB and getting 3x. So I would say it’s safe to say at least AirBnB counts.

krazykanuck, mia, Carq and 1 others like this.

Last edited by jags86; Oct 29, 2019 at 2:20 pm
Old Oct 29, 2019, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Where are you seeing this? Nevertheless, thanks for tip. I'll most likely be adding this card to my wallet then.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 4:33 pm

Where are you seeing this? Nevertheless, thanks for tip. I'll most likely be adding this card to my wallet then.
Oddly they’ve changed the page layout in the past few hours. You can see here: https://card.americanexpress.com/d/g...hoCJA4QAvD_BwE
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Originally Posted by jags86
AMEX in their promotion page for the Green card mentions using your card for AirBnB and getting 3x. So I would say it’s safe to say at least AirBnB counts.

Isn't that a weird promotion though? It's like they are encouraging some kind of manufacturing... or am I getting this wrong? It's certainly not illegal, but it doesn't seem right neither.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Gasolin
Isn't that a weird promotion though? It's like they are encouraging some kind of manufacturing... or am I getting this wrong? It's certainly not illegal, but it doesn't seem right neither.
certainly not—no different then picking up the check and having people Venmo you their share. AMEX has even incorporated a way to ask for reimbursement from friends via Venmo in their app.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Originally Posted by jags86
certainly not—no different then picking up the check and having people Venmo you their share. AMEX has even incorporated a way to ask for reimbursement from friends via Venmo in their app.
Wow I never realized that, well if that's accepted, I have nothing to say!
Old Nov 1, 2019, 6:15 pm

I can confirm Airbnb is 3X, done my latest booking on the Green and it looks like this:

Aaron01 and m.photog like this.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 10:14 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Any DPs on cruises getting 3x on this card? The list of travel examples when applying says nothing about cruises.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 7:14 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by HPN-HRL
Any DPs on cruises getting 3x on this card? The list of travel examples when applying says nothing about cruises.
According to their website, here are the included categories. Cruises are included.

You will earn one Membership Rewards® point for each dollar of eligible purchases charged on the American Express® Green Card. Travel: You will earn 2 additional points (for a total of 3 points) for each dollar charged on eligible travel purchases including airfare, hotels, cruises, tours, car rentals, campgrounds, travel purchases on third party travel websites, and travel purchases on amextravel.com. You will not earn additional points for purchases of timeshare properties.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 9:48 am

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Originally Posted by Super Mario
According to their website, here are the included categories. Cruises are included.

You will earn one Membership Rewards® point for each dollar of eligible purchases charged on the American Express® Green Card. Travel: You will earn 2 additional points (for a total of 3 points) for each dollar charged on eligible travel purchases including airfare, hotels, cruises, tours, car rentals, campgrounds, travel purchases on third party travel websites, and travel purchases on amextravel.com. You will not earn additional points for purchases of timeshare properties.
Thanks - the AMEX page for this card that I was looking at had a much shorter list.

Last edited by HPN-HRL; Jan 9, 2022 at 3:15 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 9, 2022, 1:19 pm
Formerly doc4science

Programs: United Airlines Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
AMEX Green Travel Coding as Other

Last month I paid a travel agency for a tour with my Amex Green card. Unfortunately it coded as other and I only earned 1 point per dollar. Is it even worth asking AMEX about this? Is it something they could change? Typically I wouldn't bother with it, but I am out about 20,000 points if it stays at 1x.

Thanks!
Old Jan 9, 2022, 1:23 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by doc4science
....coded as other
Look at the transaction on a computer (not a phone) with a browser (not an app), click to expand it, and click Additional Information see how the merchant is classified. This is controlled by the merchant, not by the card issuer, but if it's anything travel-related you will have a talking point.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 1:39 pm
Formerly doc4science

Programs: United Airlines Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mia
Look at the transaction on a computer (not a phone) with a browser (not an app), click to expand it, and click Additional Information see how the merchant is classified. This is controlled by the merchant, not by the card issuer, but if it's anything travel-related you will have a talking point.
Only thing under additional information is a long number... AMEX classifies it as "Travel" spend when looking my spending breakdown, but also has it assigned as "1x On Other purchases". I'll give them a call and see what happens

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.