Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Platinum refresh in the near future?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2019, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum Elite, Delta Silver Medallion
Amex Platinum refresh in the near future?

Just curious if there are any rumblings of an Amex Platinum refresh in the near future. With the Sapphire Reserve taking a large portion of the premium card market with an easy-to-use $300 travel credit and a lower $450 SF, do you think Amex Is planning to update its card to be more competitive? The $200 airline credit, with now not being able to buy gift cards, is a hassle to use especially if you have even low-level status with major carriers. The Uber credit is also fluff for those who use rental cars on vacation instead of Uber and not easily use either since it’s split into monthly increments.

I’d like to add the Platinum card to my wallet for some of the hotel status and concierge services but the value proposition is difficult for me to pencil out especially while having the Sapphire Reserve card which offers many of the same benefits.

Any idea if there will be some revamp coming?

Thanks!
Old Oct 24, 2019, 9:53 am

Platinum is looking more like the Travel Card for AMEX rather than the luxury / prestige card as both Green and Gold have great benefits and rewards. The gap is closing and it's more a travel vs. food
Old Oct 24, 2019, 9:58 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Brian Chen
....Green and Gold have great benefits ....
If we separate rewards (points) from benefits, what important benefits do Gold or Green have?
Old Oct 24, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Chris, I think the Platinum could be considered refreshed. In the past two years we have had the addition of Saks and Uber, and adding 5x on prepaid hotels, a refresh of the international airline program, and removal of Priority pass restaurants. On the business Platinum side there was a WeWork and Dell credit.

I don't think Amex is interested in competing on price against Chase, and that isn't a bad thing honestly. Look at what has happened to legacy airlines competing on price against Spirit/Ryanair. Imagine if Neiman Marcus started running 30% off coupons like Kohl's, it would upset a lot of their clientele.

So while I'm super pleased that Amex is bringing back trip insurance on their USA-issued cards (that is a major benefit Chase had over Amex), I'd say you are right, Amex costs more than Chase, either via out of pocket (not using credits) or effort (finding a way to ensure you use those credits) annually. But those extra costs pay for the expanded lounge selection (Centurion, Escape, Skyclub for example) and the discounts brought in by the IAP (10% or more on business class paid tickets).

I still encourage you to get a card, especially if you have a Cent or Escape lounge near you. They are great offerings. Oh and the Uber credit works with Uber Eats, so if nothing else you get a free delivery and half an entree once a month If hotel status is your big driver, maybe look into an Aspire (Hilton Diamond) or whatever the Bonvoy equivalent is? Then earn some huge hotel points on there and use your CSR for the rest?
Pittie Pup likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Continual evolution is a better term for the Plat card
Just a few years ago it was no spend bonus with AA lounge access
Old Oct 24, 2019, 11:15 am

I'd agree, the entire lineup - Platinum/Gold/Green has now been refreshed - and any changes will be on the margins. I think there will be much more to come on the B2B front vs. consumer cards.

I have both the Plat and CSR and think they're complementary, but the annoyance of having to think about how to best use airline credits vs. Chase's automatic $300 is going to wear on me.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
It has been refreshed, what you have to decide is if the "refreshments" now meet your needs

I visit centurion lounges 20+ times a year and that alone makes it worthwhile
I use the UBER credits
I used the $200 credit buying gift cards - not sure about next year

This makes it a no brainer for me, but your use and needs may be much different, there isn't a blanket statement here...
Old Oct 24, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
It has been refreshed, what you have to decide is if the "refreshments" now meet your needs

I visit centurion lounges 20+ times a year and that alone makes it worthwhile
I use the UBER credits
I used the $200 credit buying gift cards - not sure about next year

This makes it a no brainer for me, but your use and needs may be much different, there isn't a blanket statement here...
The IAP saved me $600 one one trip since the refresh ($300x2), and $6000 on the old program (JAL to Australia BOGO) so if I keep using that program I won't care if I can't use all $200 airline credit. The bummer about the incidentals really is that frequent travelers (target audience) probably have elite status which eliminates bag and seat fees, which are low hanging fruit. Higher elites even have free SDC. I am going to use my $200 on Skyclub guest passes for my wife, I think, instead of adding her for $175.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum Elite, Delta Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by jay4hk
I'd agree, the entire lineup - Platinum/Gold/Green has now been refreshed - and any changes will be on the margins. I think there will be much more to come on the B2B front vs. consumer cards.

I have both the Plat and CSR and think they're complementary, but the annoyance of having to think about how to best use airline credits vs. Chase's automatic $300 is going to wear on me.
This is sort of my dilemma. I like the perks with the Platinum card but can’t justify the $550 AF in perks alone. I currently hold a Hilton Amex that gives me gold status which is $95 that I would cancel if I decided to get the Platinum. I like Marriott and stay there but gold status unfortunately isn’t as valuable as Hilton with the free breakfast benefit.

The saks credit isn’t really a perk in my mind as I never shop at Saks and would just use it to get some free socks or something.

If Amex would simply convert there airline credit into something simple to use like the Chase travel credit, I think I’d have no problem getting the card. It’s just an annoyance to have to find a way to work to find a way to use up the credit vs just getting it for any travel expense.

The things drawing me to the card are the ability to use Centurion lounges as well as getting elite status at two major hotel chains and the use of Delta sky clubs since I fly Delta fairly often.

Decisions decisions ...
Old Oct 24, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
The Platinum is not about points. It’s about giving you access to FHR, IAP, lounge access, etc. if you are a big spender on luxury travel then yes the Platinum cars can be worth it. If you’re someone who is trying to maximize rewards for free travel then a variety of other cards are superior. AMEX is really courting a different clientele with the Platinum card than we like to think.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Gig103
The IAP saved me $600 one one trip since the refresh ($300x2), and $6000 on the old program (JAL to Australia BOGO) so if I keep using that program I won't care if I can't use all $200 airline credit. The bummer about the incidentals really is that frequent travelers (target audience) probably have elite status which eliminates bag and seat fees, which are low hanging fruit. Higher elites even have free SDC. I am going to use my $200 on Skyclub guest passes for my wife, I think, instead of adding her for $175.
I have status on UA and AA, but not on DL, so I will add DL to that and when i fly I normally check 2 bags - one at 65# and one at 45# which will generate a hefty baggage fee which is reimbursable, then when I put in fexpenses, I'll just turn the $200 benefit into cash in my pocket
Old Oct 24, 2019, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Amex is going out of their way to make the credits difficult to use. Even clawing back credits and sending bills to Platinum card holders who closed their accounts. Don’t hold your breath for a refresh.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
With the refresh of the Green card, I’m kind of hoping that AMEX will give at least 4x on all travel purchases for the Platinum. Even better if 5x and I’m prepared to pay an even higher AF. They should eliminate the credits cuz it’s a joke. Seriously AMEX, we’re not stupid.
Brian Chen and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by jags86
The Platinum is not about points. It’s about giving you access to FHR, IAP, lounge access, etc. if you are a big spender on luxury travel then yes the Platinum cars can be worth it. If you’re someone who is trying to maximize rewards for free travel then a variety of other cards are superior. AMEX is really courting a different clientele with the Platinum card than we like to think.
I disagree. Depending on the cardholder it can be all about points, benefits, or both. The Plat has one main points category: 5x on airfare. If you value MR points at a very conservative 2cpp, that means your points return is 10%. So you would only have to spend $5500 on airfare annually to break even on the AF even if you exclude all the benefits. There are certainly a lot of travelers both business and leisure that exceed $5000 per annum on airfare easily. When you're talking redemptions like 85k MR with a Virgin Atlantic transfer bonus for ANA RT first class west coast to Tokyo, you're above 20cpp.
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 6:46 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by jashsu
I disagree. Depending on the cardholder it can be all about points, benefits, or both. The Plat has one main points category: 5x on airfare. If you value MR points at a very conservative 2cpp, that means your points return is 10%. So you would only have to spend $5500 on airfare annually to break even on the AF even if you exclude all the benefits. There are certainly a lot of travelers both business and leisure that exceed $5000 per annum on airfare easily. When you're talking redemptions like 85k MR with a Virgin Atlantic transfer bonus for ANA RT first class west coast to Tokyo, you're above 20cpp.
I think the previous point is that someone spending 5500 on airfare easily (I spend way over that, but my company pays for all of it) is probably someone not trying to focus on travel maximization or points.

I wonder how many people with the CSR are spending 5500 on airfare. That clientele is probably more about maximizing travel rewards than the average Amex plat user.

I've run into so many people with Amex platinums for 10+ years who don't have a clue about any of the benefits. They carry it for the prestige

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.