Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Is the Business Platinum's 35% Pay with Points worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2019, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

I have about 160k MR points right now. I'm seriously thinking of getting the Business Platinum for this feature. Since using this feature allows me to book for flights and still earn elite status. I know it used to be 50%. I mainly fly international and wondering am is this a good deal compared to transferring to other airline programs? Only issue is award space, which is why I was never a big fan of award redemption. Cash is king. I'm just not sure how much value I'm getting with the Pay with Points feature.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 6:06 pm

Interested in this as well.

Note that the business gold has the same feature, but 25%
Old Oct 8, 2019, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Travelchurner
Interested in this as well.

Note that the business gold has the same feature, but 25%
Yep and I currently have the Business Gold. I've been thinking how to get the most value out of my points, but taking into account of using them easily.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 6:12 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
The 35% rebate makes your points in theory worth ~1.5cpp each, similar to the Sapphire Reserve at least with flights. The issue is that you need points enough points to book your flight at a 1cpp ratio.

So, for example, your 160k MR could book you a $1600 flight and you’d receive 56k back. But you couldn’t book a $2400 flight and cover the expense with your 160k points.
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jags86
The 35% rebate makes your points in theory worth ~1.5cpp each, similar to the Sapphire Reserve at least with flights. The issue is that you need points enough points to book your flight at a 1cpp ratio.

So, for example, your 160k MR could book you a $1600 flight and you’d receive 56k back. But you couldn’t book a $2400 flight and cover the expense with your 160k points.
If I'm short on points, is it possible to pay the difference with my Business Platinum and earn 5x on it?
Old Oct 8, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by lsquare
If I'm short on points, is it possible to pay the difference with my Business Platinum and earn 5x on it?
Yes
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 7:29 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare
When you use Pay with Points the full amount of the purchase is always charged to your card. Then, points are redeemed to generate a credit to offset all or a portion of the cost.
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by mia; Oct 9, 2019 at 8:53 am
Old Oct 9, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: AA ExPlat (2MM), Marriott LT Titanium
This feature is the sole reason I continue to hold Biz Plat. The only redemptions I have made for 2+ years are transfers with bonus to BA for use mostly on US domestic AA flights and AmexTravel points redemptions with 35% back bonus. Booking this way also accrues miles and allows for upgrades where most award bookings do not.

If you are an AA flyer there’s an extra benefit in that there are “Insider Fares” that are changeable without a fee; albeit via calling Amex Travel which can be cumbersome and cost $39 per change. There’s a thread on this or AA forum that discusses those special fares.
lsquare and akr1970akr like this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by cphurley
This feature is the sole reason I continue to hold Biz Plat. The only redemptions I have made for 2+ years are transfers with bonus to BA for use mostly on US domestic AA flights and AmexTravel points redemptions with 35% back bonus.
I moved a lot to BA but only learned after that only Saver awards are allowed to be booked, correct? Which has greatly reduced the effectiveness for me sadly. But I guess this is the same for all rewards programs when you’re trying to redeem with a partner, right?

and if the pay with points 35% feature involves charging the card, then reimbursing as a credit later and using up MR points, doesn’t this increase the value of the redemption to more than 1.53cpp? You’re already getting the flight at 1/.65 = 1.53cpp, then additionally 5 MR per dollar spent? AND you collect miles directly with the airline?
Old Oct 15, 2019, 10:00 am
mia

Originally Posted by idkmybffjill
....additionally 5 MR per dollar spent? ....
1. It is correct that AA only makes SAAver inventory available to partners airlines.

2. You will not reliably earn 5 points per dollar on airline tickets purchased through Pay with Points, because the credit which offsets the charge will also offset the base points. You need to research this in the primary thread, because the card that you use to PAY for the ticket may earn a bonus, even though the base points are not awarded.

3. It's true that tickets purchased using Pay-with-Points will earn airline miles and status credit, but this is equally true for all card issuers' programs and it does not increase the value of American Express vs other options.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I decided it wasn't worth it because I find the personal plat credits to be more valuable. My math/logic might help you.

Personal Plat: $550 - $200 airline - $200 Uber - $100 Saks = $50 AF
Biz Plat: $595 - $200 airline = $395 AF based on my usage

For the $345 diff I need to redeem 69000 MR for flights every year to break even and that isn't realistic for me. Also, it isn't clear to me if the 5x points on flights works on flights booked directly with airlines.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Can anyone comment on the timeline for getting the points reimbursed? I've seen reddit dps suggesting its very slow / cumbersome
Old Oct 15, 2019, 12:03 pm
mia

Originally Posted by akr1970akr
Can anyone comment on the timeline for getting the points reimbursed? ....
We have a thread full of reports:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...gold-25-a.html
Old Oct 15, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Gig103
I decided it wasn't worth it because I find the personal plat credits to be more valuable. My math/logic might help you.

Personal Plat: $550 - $200 airline - $200 Uber - $100 Saks = $50 AF
Biz Plat: $595 - $200 airline = $395 AF based on my usage

For the $345 diff I need to redeem 69000 MR for flights every year to break even and that isn't realistic for me. Also, it isn't clear to me if the 5x points on flights works on flights booked directly with airlines.
You forgot about or don't use this,
"Get up to $200 in statement credits annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Enrollment required.‡"
Old Oct 15, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by mhdena
You forgot about or don't use this,
"Get up to $200 in statement credits annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Enrollment required.‡"
I had not forgotten as much as it isn't something I can really utilize. With Uber I have "Eats" and with the Saks my wife and I enjoy some personal care products, but my computing needs are much simpler and bursty. Sort of like how some people can't use the $200 incidentals, especially now that GCs are 'fixed'.

In other words, I could probably spend it but more as as sunk cost than a value.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.