Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum and Gold: How much do you use your Amex per month?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2019, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lufthansa, AirFrance

Hi everyone,

I use my Amex Platinum about $4000-$10000 depending on the month, the year average would be around $70000.

I'm wondering this is below or above average for Platinum holders?

Not that it means anything but I'm just wondering...

Thanks!
Old Sep 30, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: Free agent; tend to fly DL and UA most
I spread my spending across 3 cards to maximize my point earning: I try to put Airfare and Amex-booked hotels on the Platinum (5X), dining on the Gold (4X), and everything else on the Everyday Preferred (1.5x if 30+ transactions per billing cycle, which I have no trouble meeting).

Across those three, I average somewhere in the ballpark of $100K/year in spend. No idea where that falls on the distribution though.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 5:47 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
My Platinum card is only for Amex Offers and flights.

Overall I have shifted more spending to Amex, but the Everyday card which earns a 20% bonus if I use it 20x a month. 1.2pts is better than 1.0
jtc246, muaddib89 and Slussen like this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 5:56 pm

My yearly spend across Plat & Hilton Aspire is roughly 40k.
Slussen likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by muaddib89
I spread my spending across 3 cards to maximize my point earning: I try to put Airfare and Amex-booked hotels on the Platinum (5X), dining on the Gold (4X), and everything else on the Everyday Preferred (1.5x if 30+ transactions per billing cycle, which I have no trouble meeting).

Across those three, I average somewhere in the ballpark of $100K/year in spend. No idea where that falls on the distribution though.
I have 4 Amex Cards and use as follows (subject to the below caveat):

1. Amex Plt for airfare and prepaid hotels through the portal (note, I don't book many prepaid stays through it).
2. Amex Gold for groceries and dining
3. Hilton Aspire for all Hilton spend
4. Amex BBP for all other non-bonus spending not covered above.

Caveat, if a good sync offer comes up I will use 1-3 on categories that may not otherwise apply (such as combining the Aspire and the Plt this year at the Hilton Helsinki strand to get the 100 credit off the Plt and the Hilton points with the Aspire).

I just moved to the World of Amex in July after years of spending solely on the AA MC Ex but got a little frustrated with it when Citi gutted the benefits and AA miles are increasingly difficult to use. Anything that I can put to the credit card (without plastiq) goes to it, so my spend will be high five figures this year and 6 figures next year.

Safe Travels

Safe Travels
Slussen and muaddib89 like this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:07 pm

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
I must be a rare breed on the lower end of AMEX. I use AMEX gold for everyday spending and rent. About $2,500 a month.
After a year of spending about 30K with the 4X dining and supermarket I should have enough for a one way first class ticket.
Slussen likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
$800-$1200/mo on AMEX Gold only in 4x categories. On the rare occasion I actually buy a flight I would put it on the Gold card for 3x. Of course use the card for relevant AMEX offers. I’m currently getting 5x on groceries with the Shop Rite AMEX offer.

Currently putting unbonused spend on Blue Business Cash for the $500 for $15k spend in a year, 0% APR for 12 months promo. That’s 5.33% cashback plus the 2.XX% interest I’m getting by making minimum payments.
Slussen likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Gig103
My Platinum card is only for Amex Offers and flights.
Just about the same for me. Most of my spending tends to be run either through my Marriott Visa card where every $3,000 qualifies as one Elite qualifying night, or my Hilton AmEx card where all purchases earn 2x base, plus category bonuses as well.
Slussen likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 6:45 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Free Range Airline Chicken
My Platinum is mostly a benefits card, but I do use it for some AMEX offers, some airfare purchases, and in the last few months, purchases where Rakuten has a good reward. The most common I would say about 40% of months I put $500-$1000 on it for airfare or an AMEX offer, about 50% of months it has zero, and occasionally I put a (for me) really big purchase on it. I spend $7000 a few months ago for an item with a Rakuten bonus, but usually these are under $2000.

my big spend card this year has been the Hilton Surpass/Ascend card. I used it extensively the first half of the year, till I hit $15,000 and got the free Hilton weekend night to go alongside the free night from my Aspire card. I may do this again next year, or may switch to the Citi double cash card for unbonused spend.
Slussen likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 8:12 am

I have 4 Amex Cards and use as follows (subject to the below caveat):

1. Amex Plt for airfare and prepaid hotels through the portal (note, I don't book many prepaid stays through it).
2. Amex Gold for groceries and dining
3. Hilton Aspire for all Hilton spend
4. Amex BBP for all other non-bonus spending not covered above.
Nice! I used to have the Aspire but recently canceled it because (a) I decided the extra Hilton points weren't worth locking myself into one hotel brand, and (b) the only real value I get out of the airline credits is the Alaska trick of booking a fake flight, waiting for the credit to post, and cancelling it into my Alaska Wallet. However this trick is only available for MVP Golds and above, and my Alaska status is lapsing after this year (plus, I hear they're cracking down more on people gaming the system like this). Together these dipped the card's subjective net value into the red for me.
I'd switch from the EDP to the BBP though in a heartbeat if I were eligible for a business card.
Slussen likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 8:29 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....if I were eligible for a business card.
What makes you think that you are not?
Slussen, 355F1, Drewm33 and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by mia
What makes you think that you are not?
I should have been more clear: I don't have any obvious justification for getting one. I don't own a small business, don't have any kind of side gig that I could be considered the sole proprietor of, etc. What little I've read seems to have indicated thats whats required to get a business credit card. Its a bit off topic, but I'd be interested in hearing whether thats accurate or not... Thanks!
Slussen likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: Chase, Amex, SWA, UAL, DAL
I rent out my old place, so that's my justification for a business card. Nobody has asked about it ever, and this is through multiple cards (CIP, CIC, BBP). The amount of rent I get in a year is not that high, either. Since it's essentially a sole proprietorship, my business name is my name, and that's that.

I've heard people say that you don't even need to have income to qualify. Like, if you are thinking about starting one. Even if you think your excuse is shabby, I don't think it hurts that much to try (assuming you can reasonably expect to qualify for rewards cards in the first place).

Only reason I haven't bothered with a Biz Plat is because there is no way I am spending 25k in 3 months.

(edit) Oh, to answer the original question: Plat for airfare/trips (<$500/mo), Gold for restaurants/groceries (<$1k/mo), BBP for most everything else (1-2k/mo). I have an ED purely for the MR bonus (was 15k when I did it, now 20k it seems).
Slussen and muaddib89 like this.

Last edited by zedkyuu; Oct 4, 2019 at 3:18 pm
Old Oct 4, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
I should have been more clear: I don't have any obvious justification for getting one. I don't own a small business, don't have any kind of side gig that I could be considered the sole proprietor of, etc. What little I've read seems to have indicated thats whats required to get a business credit card. Its a bit off topic, but I'd be interested in hearing whether thats accurate or not... Thanks!
If I'm reading your post correctly.....you are considering opening a new business. To do that, you'll need to obtain some tools to help your business grow - like credit (and credit cards.)

You have a projected business revenue for that first year around which you'll base your planning and with which Chase can adequately assess the credit limit that you will require on your business credit card.
Slussen likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 5:04 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
.... with which Chase ....
Or perhaps American Express.
Gasolin, Diplomatico and Slussen like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.