Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$10 k dinner charge to Amex Gold or Chase Sapphire Reserve?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Have a rather pricey dinner coming up that is meant to be around $10K.
In your opinion, should I use my CSR or Amex Gold.
40K Amex points vs 30 CSR.

What do you feel to be more valuable?
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Depends what you are looking to redeem for. I prefer transferring points so AMEX wins with better partners. If you're looking for simple bookings through a portal then Chase is better.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:28 pm

Programs: UR and MR
if you book through their portal, it'll be 45k UR points, no?
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
No. It would be 30k UR but valued at $450 because of 1.5ccp redemption rate.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:36 pm

Programs: UR and MR
Originally Posted by eddiehuang97
No. It would be 30k UR but valued at $450 because of 1.5ccp redemption rate.
oh yea, that's what I meant.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 1:34 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
How do you use your points? Do you travel economy or business? Is your travel flexible? You can get better than 1.5cpm if you find award space and transfer your miles from Amex to a partner. But it requires more effort compared to the UR portal.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:29 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Helpmeout
....pricey dinner ...
Where? Restaurant, hotel, club?
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Would for sure transfer. Have around 130K Chase points and 85K Amex points. Easier to generate AmEx for day to day.

This is a restaurant purchase. Really like Chase transfer to Hyatt for upper level tier properties but didn’t want to make step yet.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Sign up for a new CC that requires a large $$$ amount in purchases in the first X months to release the sign up offer. Will clear it in 1 transaction
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:51 am

In the past, I'd have gone with UR points; now, I find MR a little more valuable for my purposes.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:53 am

I'd ensure, before going with Amex, that you earn credit for the restaurant. This is one transaction you don't want to get messed up.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: Delta, Chase UR, Hyatt
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
Sign up for a new CC that requires a large $$$ amount in purchases in the first X months to release the sign up offer. Will clear it in 1 transaction
This is the optimal strategy. Some ideas:
1. See if you can get either the 100k/$5k personal or 100k/$10k biz Amex platinum offers. If you get the personal plat, put the remaining 5k on your Gold for 120k pts total. Even combining the regular 60k plat would give you 80k pts.
2. Get yourself a Chase Ink Preferred 80k/$5k offer and put the balance on your CSR for 95k pts.

Last edited by free_whine; Jul 10, 2019 at 7:09 pm
Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Helpmeout
Would for sure transfer. Have around 130K Chase points and 85K Amex points. Easier to generate AmEx for day to day.

This is a restaurant purchase. Really like Chase transfer to Hyatt for upper level tier properties but didn’t want to make step yet.
I'm points-heavy, so I value URs over MRs due to the good baseline redemption options - via Hyatt (pretty easy for me to redeem for >2cpp) and the 1.5cpp redemption via travel portal if I really have to. It doesn't make sense for me to bank MRs when the baseline value is so much lower. But if you're not planning on banking points and have a specific airline redemption in mind, that should be the determining factor as it will put even 2cpp to shame.
Helpmeout likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.