Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can you trust American Express?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2019, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by mia
No. Is it difficult to understand that a person may have an unanticipated need to use a restroom -and- the expectation that the facilities in a Centurion lounge are nicer than those in the public areas of an airport?
No. But getting worked up to write to CEO and post online and reevaluate 40-year relationship "built on trust"? YES.
Old May 22, 2019, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
At many airports, public restrooms are run down and dirty; there can also be lines. If I'm near a lounge that I'm entitled to enter, I'll often go in just to use a decent restroom. I'd do this before looking for a public restroom.

At other times, I'll enter an airport lounge (that I'm entitled to use and that's close to being along the path that I would normally follow) to get a newspaper, coffee, a glass of water, or sometimes for a quick check of email or to make a phone call. There's certainly no rule saying that one can enter a lounge only if one intends to stay for a while or make a meal out of the F&B offerings.
Old May 22, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Rich Melcombe
The reason we pay high annual fees is for customer service and some of the travel perks like medical insurance that come with the card.
The real reason we pay high Amex fees is to buy an aura of prestige and exclusivity (for most everyday transactions your no-fee credit union MasterCard works exactly as well). Exclusivity means rules and barriers to entry. Ignoring the rules degrades the Amex value proposition.

When people benefit from fierce rule enforcement but the next guy gets them relaxed as a special favor, they're outraged. When people want the rules bent because they're special but find them fiercely enforced, they're also outraged. Given those truths, I will take fierce enforcement... and suffer the scarring humiliation of relieving myself in a restroom also frequented by non-high-annual-fee-paying riffraff.

Can we trust American Express to tear up its rulebook? I should hope not.
Old May 22, 2019, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Often1, I disagree with the substance of your post.

BearX220, 39 years ago, I did not get the Amex Platinum Card for prestige. I got it because they had an outstanding international medical insurance policy.

Last edited by mia; May 22, 2019 at 10:22 am Reason: Combine consecutive replies. Remove personal characterization.
Old May 22, 2019, 9:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by mia
No. Is it difficult to understand that a person may have an unanticipated need to use a restroom -and- the expectation that the facilities in a Centurion lounge are nicer than those in the public areas of an airport?
Not in the least. But, OP was an arriving passenger and walked past multiple facilities in order to go physically out of his way to access the Centurion's facilities.

The whole rant raises the better question of what he was physically doing at that location.
Old May 22, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
OP comes to FT to rant about change which was discussed ad nauseum on here for months before the changes ever went active

Makes me wonder if he is gonna come back about not being allowed in 5 hrs before his next International flight from LaGuardia /rolleyes

Anyway, OP got exactly what he should trust from AMEX - upholding their own rules which have been in effect for quite some time

Even if he isn't satisfied, I sort of am as it tells me they are looking at entries - this from someone who routinely spend 5hr 39min on layover at IAH due to UA schedules - but the Lounge had a process to validate my layover and I have never had a problem entering for the 5hr 39 post rule change
Old May 22, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
It's actually up the elevator, on your way out the door. There is also a public men's bathroom immediately to the right of the elevator that you'd have to have taken up to the Centurian [sic] lounge.

But thanks for this thread, I needed a laugh this morning. Much appreciated!
That’s hilarious. The OP supposedly walked right past a men’s room, because he needed to use the men’s room.
davidlhanson and IndyHoosier like this.
Old May 22, 2019, 10:20 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
.... outstanding international medical insurance policy.
Unless you are referring to the Emergency medical transportation assistance benefit, this no longer exists.
Old May 22, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I would not equate the lounge dragon to Amex Casualty Assurance. The latter has helped me with several extended warranties. It's Chase I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw the CEO's dog.
Old May 22, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Can’t understand the relation between the use of bathroom and trust in a credit card .... but it’s really funny 😂
Old May 22, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Dav77
Can’t understand the relation between the use of bathroom and trust in a credit card .... but it’s really funny 😂
I wanted the Centurion Lounge agent to break the rules and let me use the men’s room of my choice. But Amex betrayed my trust, and I was forced to use a . . . sorry, gimme a sec . . . I feel like I’m going through this all over again. They forced me to use a public restroom! Now I have difficulty trusting anyone. My life is a mess.
Old May 22, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
BearX220, 39 years ago, I did not get the Amex Platinum Card for prestige.
The Amex Platinum was first offered in 1984, so that's 35 years ago. How did you get one in 1980?
Old May 22, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
I suppose in part it depends... number 1 or number 2? I hope you detailed which in graphic terms when you wrote to the CEO

Also, given how under-bathroomed most Centurion lounges are (LAS has ONE urinal!!!! ) I am glad the lounge staff refused entry in this instance.

Also, if I read correctly, you've been paying $$$ for a card just for "international medical insurance?" there are cheaper ways to get that type of coverage.
davidlhanson likes this.

Last edited by Dr_wanderlust; May 22, 2019 at 12:36 pm Reason: to add a question
Old May 22, 2019, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Enforcement. It's not poor customer service to enforce the access rules as published, even if a cardholder is not aware. It is a sad commentary that American Express does not empower agents to make exceptions, even for such a basic biological need, but this is typical of our era.
Perhaps, this is "remember when" recollection, but the AmEx I had grown up with certainly would have made exceptions when necessary. But, your point is well taken, that in this era, it certainly is the lesser of two evils to be completely inflexible when implementing the rules, if only spare us from having to endure, for the umpteenth time, someone arguing/pleading his/her case for an exception.
Old May 22, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Maybe there was no more toilet paper at Centurion Lounge ...and they were ashamed about it ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.