Search

AMEX sending out 1099s for referral bonuses

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
The difference is Chase doesn't have the other five problems on top of it.
I snipped my reply because the other "five problems" weren't relevant to this thread, but sure lets do this.

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
I could only wish people would get tired of AMEX's rewards shenanigans and just drop them.

It's already bad enough that:

1) Rewards are delayed an additional statement.
2) Citi and Chase now have JetBlue as a 1:1 transfer partner while AMEX sits at 250:200.
3) AMEX makes you pay the federal excise tax when transferring miles (nobody else does this).
4) AMEX has been hit or miss on dining bonus categories.
5) AMEX's bonus exceptions when applying for a card "because you've had too many opened AMEX cards recently," and sometimes denying bonuses when the box doesn't pop up for whatever reason.
6) And now taxing referral bonuses.
1) YMMV of an issue. I'm never on the edge of a redemption and haven't less than 250k in my MR balance in I don't know how long. So would it be nice if it were instant? Sure. But it would have no impact on my usage. Also I have read that if you have paid off the statement they can accelerate the points.
2) Ok, I've never flown Jetblue, but good to know I guess.
3) Only for US airlines, and if you're burning MR points on Delta, Jetblue, or Hawaiian... As one of my friends on reddit has said, this fee is Amex's way of telling you you should be transferring MR elsewhere!
4) Fair complaint. Not one that's really impacted me, but a fair complaint.
5) Amex has made it pretty clear they're tired with churners/unprofitable or likely to be unprofitable customers. Can't say I blame them. Would you engage in a business relationship that would more than likely wind up being a loss to you?
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:36 pm

Programs: Hilton - Diamond; SPG/Marriott - Gold
Originally Posted by shoodawg
AMEX chat rep just mentioned those not in receipt of a 1099 by 1/31/19 should not expect a 1099.
I have been waiting for 1099s from Amex for the ~5 referrals I had last year, but have not yet received them. Anyone else still waiting?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Out of interest, how many people are accepting the valuation Amex has placed on these referrals and are paying tax on them and how many are changing the valuation to 0 and not paying tax? Based on the legal advice in the link posted a few posts up, it seems like a pretty easy case can be made for changing the valuation to 0 and thus having no tax liability.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Enigma368
Out of interest, how many people are accepting the valuation Amex has placed on these referrals and are paying tax on them and how many are changing the valuation to 0 and not paying tax? Based on the legal advice in the link posted a few posts up, it seems like a pretty easy case can be made for changing the valuation to 0 and thus having no tax liability.
That sure wouldn’t be my legal advice to a client. Even a penny per would be a very aggressive position. We’re it my return, I’d go with 1.4 or 1.5 cents per.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by dhuey

That sure wouldn’t be my legal advice to a client. Even a penny per would be a very aggressive position. We’re it my return, I’d go with 1.4 or 1.5 cents per.
It wasn't so much as advice, as a description of a position some people are taking. Amex have it in their terms that all membership rewards points in your account technically belong to Amex, so the line some people are taking is that since they legally do not own the points awarded through a referral, they do not need to pay tax on them.

A commenter at OMAAT asked how the member has income when Amex’s own T&Cs says the points belong to Amex. Fair question, and I think it goes back to my earlier point about valuing the points. This just seems to further suggest that points have a lesser value when issued. They don’t belong to you, and you can’t sell or barter them. Taken together, I think this makes the strongest argument for using a lower (or even zero) valuation.
Source: https://www.travelcodex.com/amex-ref...ractical-tips/
Old Apr 17, 2019, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Enigma368
It wasn't so much as advice, as a description of a position some people are taking. Amex have it in their terms that all membership rewards points in your account technically belong to Amex, so the line some people are taking is that since they legally do not own the points awarded through a referral, they do not need to pay tax on them.

Source: https://www.travelcodex.com/amex-ref...ractical-tips/
What did people end up doing on this? Did anyone go for a zero valuation based on the points not being their property? Did anyone go for a lower valuation than what Amex used?
Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:18 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion continues here for 2020: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...c-who-got.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.