Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

2019 Has anyone actually received a Centurion Card invite (except UK)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 20, 2019, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Discussion of UK Centurion has been segregated:

Centurion Card (United Kingdom)
Print Wikipost

2019 Has anyone actually received a Centurion Card invite (except UK)?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: American Express Centurion
Originally Posted by 747FC
Can you help educate me as to how showing Ferrari and Bently keys is pertinent to the substance of this thread?
It's not, I was just simply copying our other members if you look back at the thread
Old Dec 10, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by JohnzCA
It's not, I was just simply copying our other members if you look back at the thread
OK. Now I know that it is OK to be OT, as long it doesn't have anything to do with Private Bank. Thank you.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 12:47 am

Programs: Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamond, KLM Silver
Originally Posted by sophialite
After spending an hour with my AD today, I finally got on the "list." Looking like a 2020 purchase so I may yet repeat this spend next year.

whst is an AD
Old Dec 11, 2019, 1:24 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by stimpy
There actually is at least one billionaire posting on Flyertalk. A billionaire many times over. But as has been said many times in regards to the US based personal Centurion, personal wealth has nothing to do with it. It is purely based on your spend, type of spend and payment history.

There is too much generalization in this thread about the type of person who has a Centurion. We are all different and it is pointless to speculate on character here.
Very true. Not all Centurions are filthy rich and certainly not all people with money view/spend money the same way. As a Cent holder myself (admittedly from a country with a not very high spend requirement) I sure do quite a bit of higher end travel, drive a nice car and I don't live in a shack. At the same time I am happy to take the city bus when convenient, shop at Lidl if they have something I want and I love a bargain when travelling. And I am proudly PA-and Ferrari-free.

Last edited by mia; Dec 11, 2019 at 9:29 am Reason: Formatting
Old Dec 11, 2019, 1:38 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Originally Posted by stimpy
There actually is at least one billionaire posting on Flyertalk. A billionaire many times over. But as has been said many times in regards to the US based personal Centurion, personal wealth has nothing to do with it. It is purely based on your spend, type of spend and payment history.

There is too much generalization in this thread about the type of person who has a Centurion. We are all different and it is pointless to speculate on character here.
I am not speculating on character (i.e., whether the Centurion cardholder is a good person), but I think given the annual fee, initiation fee and generally difficult "invitation" requirements, I think it's fair game to attempt to generalize about holders. My point is that Cent-card olders (and people who spend enough to probably warrant an invitation but haven't received one for one reason or another) are probably no stranger to exotic cars (or don't care about them, but could very well have them) or seven or eight figure bank balances. The point is that, therefore, posting pictures of such items in this thread isn't going to impress anyone and if anything is conducive to a proxy measuring contest involving a certain appendage.

And BTW, I don't think this generalization is inaccurate. And one billionaire posting on this forum doesn't disprove it either.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 2:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
FWIW, and I know many Centurion holders, there really is no average. One good friend of mine is a nine-digit millionaire (ie hundreds of millions). He doesn't post here but has other foibles for what would by many be seen as wasting time. At the other end of the scale is someone who talks a good game but never has two pennies to rub together and is way behind on child maintenance and alimony. He's not much of a friend anymore. In between are all shades of the rainbow.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 2:29 am

Just to be clear, I never said the average Cent holder has these things, just that they are no stranger to these things. I know Cent holders who live paycheck to paycheck and spend a lot of effort and time trying to maintain an image. It’s laughable. But again they are probably no stranger to exotic cars are high bank balances because they try to operate in that world in the first place.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 12:42 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tessy143
whst is an AD
AD= Authorized Dealer in the watch world

And not sure why everyone is getting so uptight about one user posting their car keys, when others have done so earlier in this thread and received no hate. As others have said, the people who are qualifying for this card most likely have the means to purchase such cars (if they choose to do so). It's all in fun that people are posting their keys in this thread. If you don't like it, no need for the hate. Different strokes for different folks. All these comments just scream jealousy. I for one enjoy seeing the key pics, so keep them coming!
Also, those who are getting all mad about people posting their statements showing how much they spent. That's the entire point of this thread. People need to get off their high horses or just stop commenting on this thread if they have problems with every little thing in it.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by S.R

And not sure why everyone is getting so uptight about one user posting their car keys, when others have done so earlier in this thread and received no hate. As others have said, the people who are qualifying for this card most likely have the means to purchase such cars (if they choose to do so). It's all in fun that people are posting their keys in this thread. If you don't like it, no need for the hate. Different strokes for different folks. All these comments just scream jealousy. I for one enjoy seeing the key pics, so keep them coming!
I agree, although interesting to read JohnzCA's post history, particularly the financial review thread he started more than a decade ago.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by S.R

Also, those who are getting all mad about people posting their statements showing how much they spent. That's the entire point of this thread. People need to get off their high horses or just stop commenting on this thread if they have problems with every little thing in it.
Absolutely no one expressed hate re the keys.

Last edited by mia; Dec 11, 2019 at 2:52 pm
Old Dec 11, 2019, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by 747FC
Absolutely no one expressed hate re the keys.
I really don't care if people post their keys. But people really ought to black out specific parts of those images. You wouldn't post photos of your passwords written on a piece of paper right? Don't post photos of your keys that show how they're cut. https://gizmodo.com/any-key-you-can-...ied-1522264272
Old Dec 11, 2019, 10:23 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by janwillem
Very true. Not all Centurions are filthy rich and certainly not all people with money view/spend money the same way.
As I posted before... I was offered a Centurion and my spend is nowhere near what some people are posting here. Search the Centurion threads for my post for the details. Initially, I thought it was the 30+ years of reliably paying annual fees but others piped up with similar tenures and no invitations.

It was amusing, but I didn't follow through, the annual fee is horrendous and I'm fine with the benefits of the plain ol' Platinum card.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
As I posted before... I was offered a Centurion and my spend is nowhere near what some people are posting here. Search the Centurion threads for my post for the details. Initially, I thought it was the 30+ years of reliably paying annual fees but others piped up with similar tenures and no invitations.

It was amusing, but I didn't follow through, the annual fee is horrendous and I'm fine with the benefits of the plain ol' Platinum card.
Agreed.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by fliesdelta

I'm convinced that part of the reason for the existence of the Centurion program is to get people to spend ridiculous sums of money on their Platinum cards, at very low MR point earn rates, against their own financial interests. Amex's goal is to hold off on invitations long enough to reap a ton of benefits from this behavior, but not so long that these customers get discouraged.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 11:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by STS-134
I'm convinced that part of the reason for the existence of the Centurion program is to get people to spend ridiculous sums of money on their Platinum cards, at very low MR point earn rates, against their own financial interests. Amex's goal is to hold off on invitations long enough to reap a ton of benefits from this behavior, but not so long that these customers get discouraged.
If you travel a lot, the FHR benefits with Platinum and Centurion easily pay off for the former. If you use it wisely, it easily pays off for the latter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.