Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New card application bonus denied - Appeal?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 3MM Lifetime, AA PlatPro,Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime, Hyatt Globalist
New card application bonus denied - Appeal?

I tried applying online for the Amex SPG Business card with 100k bonus after $5,000. I got the dreaded popup notice that I would not be eligible for the signup bonus. I've read blogs extensively and know that I meet all the obvious criteria of the merged Marriott / Starwood joint card programs.

I called Amex asking the reason for the denial and the agent, after calling a few departments within Amex, couldn't find any information. His suggestion: Apply for the card and call back once I'd received it.

I called today, with the new card in hand, and the agent confirmed I was denied the bonus. The reason was still vague "based on my bonus history".

Is there any way to appeal a denied enrollment bonus?

Last edited by edsh; Aug 25, 2018 at 10:24 am
Old Aug 25, 2018, 11:37 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The advice to ignore the automated warning and apply was poor. I do not see how you can appeal until you know the specific problem with your history. Have you ever held an SPG Business card? Have you applied for American Express cards, made the minimum spend for a bonus, and then cancelled?
Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 3MM Lifetime, AA PlatPro,Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mia
Have you ever held an SPG Business card? Have you applied for American Express cards, made the minimum spend for a bonus, and then cancelled?
I've never applied for a an Amex Business Card. I do have Amex Delta and Hilton cards - and used them minimally - enough to satisfy the bonus requirement.

The blogosphere noted upfront some possible denial reasons; owning more than 5 Amex cards, or, beginning next week, qualifying for Chase branded Marriott cards. I was careful to satisfy each of these requirements before applying. I've never read Amex denying solely based on use on other Amex cards (e.g. Delta and Hilton) - not to say they wouldn't do that but it sure is a grey area.

Last edited by edsh; Aug 28, 2018 at 4:45 pm
Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by edsh
I've never applied for a an Amex Business Card. I do have Amex Delta and Hilton cards - and used them minimally - enough to satisfy the bonus requirement.

. I've never read Amex denying solely based on use on other Amex cards (e.g. Delta and Hilton) - not to say they wouldn't do that but this but it sure is a grey area.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1913138-amex-usa-restricts-bonuses-based-number-accounts-opened-closed-june-2018-a.html

Guessing Amex's algorithm didn't like that you open cards, get the bonus, and stop using them. Hence the no bonus popup.
KDS777 likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 1:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1913138-amex-usa-restricts-bonuses-based-number-accounts-opened-closed-june-2018-a.html

Guessing Amex's algorithm didn't like that you open cards, get the bonus, and stop using them. Hence the no bonus popup.
Where is the evidence that's what OP has done?
Old Aug 25, 2018, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
Where is the evidence that's what OP has done?
Based off the OP's statement (emphasis mine):

I made the conclusion that there wasn't ongoing use. If my conclusion was wrong, the OP is more than welcome to correct me.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Based off the OP's statement (emphasis mine):

I made the conclusion that there wasn't ongoing use. If my conclusion was wrong, the OP is more than welcome to correct me.
That's correct. To borrow a phrase I've read online, Delta and Hilton are "sock drawer" cards.

Last edited by edsh; Aug 25, 2018 at 3:46 pm
Old Aug 25, 2018, 10:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Sorry, I misread your post as saying "cancel" rather than "stop using."
Old Aug 26, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
That's correct. To borrow a phrase I've read online, Delta and Hilton are "sock drawer" cards.
I have a desk drawer that I call "the sock drawer." My husband looks at me funny when I say it.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got this same popup on the 23rd when I tried to apply for the SPG Luxury card. In my case, the past year I closed an SPG Business card at 13+ months after not using it after the signup bonus was satisfied (except again for a couple hotel stays a couple months later, but then never again), and closed a Delta Business card at 13+ months after not using it after the signup bonus was satisfied (because that year didn't mesh with a need for Delta paid flights). I also have a Hilton cards I've used for Hilton stays throughout the year and an Everyday card I use most months, but I guess in view of the 2 cards I cancelled after many months of no use it's not surprising.

But in my case I anticipated that possibility and had another card I was thinking of applying for instead, so I've moved on and applied for a Chase card instead. Amex lost out on $150-$450 (first year net AF or first year actual AF) because they gave me this popup. I wonder if they should adjust the popup to be more lenient when the AF is not waived the first year?

Last edited by sdsearch; Aug 26, 2018 at 9:57 am
Old Aug 26, 2018, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Just got the popup when applying for the Amex Blue Plus Business card. My wife just got the card and I had her refer me so we'd both get 10K bonuses. Or so I thought until I got the popup, at which point I stopped the application. I only have two other Amex cards in my name (I'm assuming AU cards don't count towards the 5 card limit), so it must be that I opened and closed the Plat Biz card in 2015-16 when the AF came due.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mangoMan
Just got the popup when applying for the Amex Blue Plus Business card. My wife just got the card and I had her refer me so we'd both get 10K bonuses. Or so I thought until I got the popup, at which point I stopped the application. I only have two other Amex cards in my name (I'm assuming AU cards don't count towards the 5 card limit), so it must be that I opened and closed the Plat Biz card in 2015-16 when the AF came due.
So have you been routinely using the other two Amex cards in your name? It's not just open and close that Amex is counting, it may also be how / if you use the card beyond bonuses.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I got this same popup on the 23rd when I tried to apply for the SPG Luxury card. In my case, the past year I closed an SPG Business card at 13+ months after not using it after the signup bonus was satisfied (except again for a couple hotel stays a couple months later, but then never again), and closed a Delta Business card at 13+ months after not using it after the signup bonus was satisfied (because that year didn't mesh with a need for Delta paid flights). I also have a Hilton cards I've used for Hilton stays throughout the year and an Everyday card I use most months, but I guess in view of the 2 cards I cancelled after many months of no use it's not surprising. I canceled my personal SPG card in May, but I used that one VERY heavily for 1 year. I also got the Premier Gold card for the bonus and then stopped using it, but have not canceled it yet. I have a Hilton Ascend card that I use infrequently, mostly for Hilton stays only.

But in my case I anticipated that possibility and had another card I was thinking of applying for instead, so I've moved on and applied for a Chase card instead. Amex lost out on $150-$450 (first year net AF or first year actual AF) because they gave me this popup. I wonder if they should adjust the popup to be more lenient when the AF is not waived the first year?
I just got the pop up on the Hilton Business Card, since it has an elevated bonus right now and I wanted to give it a go. Obviously I said cancel the app. I think my profile with AMEX is similar to many people here who get tons of cards. I've gotten all the Delta cards and mostly sock drawered them, then canceled on month 12.5-13. Using the conventional wisdom of do not cancel in the first 12 months.

I may try on the Hilton Personal Aspire later this year, and see if I get the pop up again. Over the years I have hit AMEX pretty hard, so I cannot be that upset with them. It's just unfortunate because they were so easy to get, for so long, with no hard pulls and auto approval towards the end.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Originally Posted by sdsearch
So have you been routinely using the other two Amex cards in your name? It's not just open and close that Amex is counting, it may also be how / if you use the card beyond bonuses.
One of the cards is the Amex Everyday Preferred which I use extensively. The other is the Hilton Ascend which I used only occasionally, but I have kept it open past the 12 month date and paid the AF. I intend to keep it open too.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:27 pm

Cut-off

I think they cut us off... few years ago we applied pretty much for every card that carried MR bonus. Never had SPG cards and Mrs herzmeh never had Plat. When she tried applying for Plat and SPG Luxury, she got -

"based on your history with American Express welcome offers, introductory APR offers, or the number of cards you have opened and closed, you are not eligible to receive this welcome offer"

I got the same when I tried applying for Luxury I got the same...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.